NVR with 2 wireless bridges? Is it possible?

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The title may not adequately explain what I'm trying to do. I'm not the best with networking.
I have an NVR (amcrest nv2108e) without wifi. This is in a location without access to a hard line from the router. I have it running on a small wireless bridge for remote viewing. This works fine.
I am now trying to add a wireless camera to the mix. I have a netgearac1750 R6400 at my disposal.
Is it possible to setup another bridge to link the wireless camera into the NVR?
Do I need to setup 2 bridges? Am I making this more complicated than it should be?

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think my verbiage is incorrect here. I need to use the netgear r6400 as a receiver for the wifi camera. Can this be done so that I can pull the wifi signal from the camera and deliver it via cat 5 to the NVR?

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you connect your NetGear by a copper network connection to your wireless bridge?
Yes, they're directly next to one another. In trying to sort this out I currently have the Netgear running as an access point off the bridge.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So you have three parts. Need more info on #3
1. The NVR
2. The Netgear Router
3. What is your wirless bridge hardware?

And is #3 your internet connection or is there something else? Trying to get a full understanding of your network topology.

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So you have three parts. Need more info on #3
1. The NVR
2. The Netgear Router
3. What is your wirless bridge hardware?

And is #3 your internet connection or is there something else? Trying to get a full understanding of your network topology.
#3 is a cheap brotrends ac1200. It's running to a cheap 5port gigabit switch.

#3 is delivering internet to the NVR from an ISP provided router/modem from 2nd floor.

This is my parents house so I am trying to get their camera system back to 100% because they are old and crime is really picking up in their neighborhood. That is to say, I have no control regarding their ISP/ISP provided hardware.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looking at the NVR ...The big question will be if the NVR can support adding other cameras outside of the internal POE ports 1 through 8 ?

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looking at the NVR ...The big question will be if the NVR can support adding other cameras outside of the internal POE ports 1 through 8 ?
I doubt it will take anything outside of that. I was aiming to run to one of the 8 ports from the Netgear.
Is there a way to setup the Netgear to receive the wireless signal from a WiFi camera and pass it to the NVR via copper?

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's possible, as long as the IP address of the WiFi network is the same as the wired network.

I am doing this on my network. But I am using a Ubiquiti hardware and all my cams are on the same VLAN.

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm not just dreaming here. That's helpful to know.
I don't mind buying more equipment (within reason) but was hoping to use what's on hand.
Is there something specific I need to look for in a wireless camera?
I'm hoping that when I power it up it'll be easy to link to the Netgear but I am quite ignorant with the specifics of all the networking and suspect I need to set it up in a very precise way so that the camera will see the Netgear and vice/versa.
Is there a resource you know of that might help me understand how the layout needs to be arranged?

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most WiFi cameras come preset in the 192.168.1.? or 192.168.0.? so if your WiFi network is in either of these ranges, then you can put that IP in a web browser to configure it etc.

If you are looking to upgrade, you want to look at hardware that is MESH capable. What you have with your AC1200 is a mini MESH ( in theory but not exactly) between the two.

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Most WiFi cameras come preset in the 192.168.1.? or 192.168.0.? so if your WiFi network is in either of these ranges, then you can put that IP in a web browser to configure it etc.

If you are looking to upgrade, you want to look at hardware that is MESH capable. What you have with your AC1200 is a mini MESH ( in theory but not exactly) between the two.
Ok gotcha. I should be able to log into the camera and point it to the Netgear then. Is running the Netgear in AP mode what I need to do?
God I feel like a kindergartner here lol
Thank you for all the help this far, btw

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you log into the camera when using the NetGear then you ARE on the same network.

Does the camera you are trying to install have both WiFi and wired connection, or is it just a WiFi camera.

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you log into the camera when using the NetGear then you ARE on the same network.

Does the camera you are trying to install have both WiFi and wired connection, or is it just a WiFi camera.
I haven't bought a camera yet because I want to make sure it and the system will work together first.
I guess I'm still unsure how this should work. Are you saying that the Netgear can act as the wireless access point to receive the signal, and then I can run a cable out of the Netgear to the NVR and it'll just pass through?

Something like this?

router-> switch -> AP <-wifi camera
AND simultaneously
AP (camera feed via cat5)-> NVR

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, but you need to realise the quality of WiFi cams is very poor, would not recommend ANY.
If you have a good reliable WiFi Network, ie: (Mesh WiFi6) then you can add a POE switch to an access point and drive traditional cameras. This is ideal for testing, or short lived setups like trade fairs \ halls where you can't hard wire just for an event.
But.. and a big but. Nothing beats the reliability of WIRED, really can't recommend anything other than a WIRED system for a permanent installation.

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, but you need to realise the quality of WiFi cams is very poor, would not recommend ANY.
If you have a good reliable WiFi Network, ie: (Mesh WiFi6) then you can add a POE switch to an access point and drive traditional cameras. This is ideal for testing, or short lived setups like trade fairs \ halls where you can't hard wire just for an event.
But.. and a big but. Nothing beats the reliability of WIRED, really can't recommend anything other than a WIRED system for a permanent installation.
Gotcha. I certainly would prefer wired but the location is 70' away, it is covered but in a pretty extreme exposure environment open to wind, rain, and saltwater air. It used to be wired but has proven incredibly difficult to maintain wires to the location due to the water table, underground obstacles, etc.
Wireless is really the only sustainable option at this point.

As for mesh wifi 6 I'll do some reading, thank you. I can run that off the existing modem/router?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about a powerline adapter that runs the data over your existing electric lines?

Or a nanostation that is its own isolated wifi system that will be much more reliable than a consumer grade wifi router?

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What about a powerline adapter that runs the data over your existing electric lines?

Or a nanostation that is its own isolated wifi system that will be much more reliable than a consumer grade wifi router?
These are things I haven't considered because I didn't know they were options.
As for a nano station... Do you have an example? I could build an enclosure.

The power lines running there power many other items as well. Would that cause interference?

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The title may not adequately explain what I'm trying to do. I'm not the best with networking.
I have an NVR (amcrest nv2108e) without wifi. This is in a location without access to a hard line from the router. I have it running on a small wireless bridge for remote viewing. This works fine.
I am now trying to add a wireless camera to the mix. I have a netgearac1750 R6400 at my disposal.
Is it possible to setup another bridge to link the wireless camera into the NVR?
Do I need to setup 2 bridges? Am I making this more complicated than it should be?
Wifi can be done, but the best result is one router as a bridge from the LAN port (which looks like you have) and another router plugged configured to the camera interface network plugged into a camera port. That router, you simply plug in its LAN port into a camera port of the NVR. The camera ports are just a POE switch that you static assign an interface in the nvr. Wifi by itself is a little trickey, but if you keep it to one access point per camera it will run fine because they have to maintain a constant data rate and that is the only way to acheve it with simple wifi equipment.
for camera 5
AP->NVR LAN
NVR CAM 5 port ->camera wifi router LAN port

Dmchan1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wifi can be done, but the best result is one router as a bridge from the LAN port (which looks like you have) and another router plugged configured to the camera interface network plugged into a camera port. That router, you simply plug in its LAN port into a camera port of the NVR. The camera ports are just a POE switch that you static assign an interface in the nvr. Wifi by itself is a little trickey, but if you keep it to one access point per camera it will run fine because they have to maintain a constant data rate and that is the only way to acheve it with simple wifi equipment.
for camera 5
AP->NVR LAN
NVR CAM 5 port ->camera wifi router LAN port
Gotcha that does make sense, now I just need to get the camera and figure out how to get the router linked with the WiFi camera itself.

Thank you!