NVR uses all the HD space.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Dahua NVR5416 with 3 4TB purples and 9 4MP cams. (No RAID) After all OS, memory, fees and taxes it comes out to 10.91 TB.

I filled in all the specs with an online calculator such as this one...... * https://www.aventuracctv.com/calculator/hard_drive_calculator.asp *

It shows I need only 4.75 TB of storage. Give or take a few TB my NVR still uses all 10.91 TB and I get a error light shows on the front when the storage space is low. (I think about 15%).. (No snapshots or pics)

My question is....... Is this normal ? Should it use all the space..?

storage.jpg

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The maximum the NVR should use for 5 days 24/7 footage is 4.75TB, that's what it means. But if you leave it on for 10 days, then it will use up to double that.

Is this what you mean?

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It seems like it's not overwriting files until the HD is full.... Wouldn't it start overwriting files after 5 days and still only be using 4.75TB...? Even after 10 or more days still use 4.75TB because it's erasing files...?

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wasn't sure about that. Mine is set to overwrite. So basically even if I have 1 camera with 12TB HD space recording for one day the NVR will still use all the space.... Got it.. Thanks.

I also have an option for "redundant". Would that speed up read-write speeds as in RAID..?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
disk speed is not an issue for an NVR, redundant just saves it on 2 separate filesystems.. its not a RAID.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good to know. I was just wondering if setting it to redundant would take any load off the processor or help with "skipping frames" problems.. :)

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the only advantage to redundant as far as an NVR goes would be basically a back up drive if one fails... correct..?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes redundant is basically backup incase one fails, really should only be enabled if you have legal requirements for data retention.. if my disk fails i dont care if I loose data almost everything it records is never valuable at all.

the processor is the bottleneck, each one of your HDD's is faster than its bus is capable of transferring data..

skipping frames sounds like packetloss, have you kept continuous pings open to your cameras to ensure they are not having isolated network issues?

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually I don't have the skipping frames problem. I was referring to another post that by ANTO for an issue he is having...

Thanks for the info sir.