NVR upgrade

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Greetings!
I already have an older Lorex 8 camera setup. It has worked extremely well with only having to replace one camera that failed in the six years it's been in service. This system has been really fun to have over the years. We have an abundance of wildlife, so that in itself has been a pleasure to watch on the cameras. My system consists of 8 2k 4MP cameras with color night vision. My NVR is an NR900 series unit. When I installed it I ran all new CAT 6 cabling throughout for each camera.

Anyway, I have been doing some reading online. Apparently the 900 series nvr did not do what was on the box. That 4K HD was a dahua rendered 4K monitor display only unit (lorex is dahua) and that I SHOULD NOT replace with either a lorex or dahua because it would be a waste of money.

Is my above research valid? I've trialed Blue Iris a few times over the years and it seems top shelf. I've been researching NAS devices lately for an unrelated project. I was wondering if I could use Blue Iris connected to A NAS? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lorex is a watered down consumer version of Dahua, so a 4K camera with Lorex is going to be on a sensor designed for 2MP (1/2.8" sensor); while the Dahua 4K will be on the much larger 1/1.8" sensor designed for a 4K camera.

Same with the NVRs - the Lorex bandwidth is usually limited to 88Mbps; whereas Dahua is 320Mbps, so that is a big difference once you deal with higher resolution cameras.

Goring from Lorex to Dahua would be a big step up in improvement. Many people here have done just that as they learned about cameras and realized that they needed better optics and updated Lorex to Dahua.

Many of us here run Dahua cameras as they represent a great value in terms of cost and performance (day and night).

Yes you can use BI and offload stored video to a NAS.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lorex is a watered down consumer version of Dahua, so a 4K camera with Lorex is going to be on a sensor designed for 2MP (1/2.8" sensor); while the Dahua 4K will be on the much larger 1/1.8" sensor designed for a 4K camera.

Same with the NVRs - the Lorex bandwidth is usually limited to 88Mbps; whereas Dahua is 320Mbps, so that is a big difference once you deal with higher resolution cameras.

Goring from Lorex to Dahua would be a big step up in improvement. Many people here have done just that as they learned about cameras and realized that they needed better optics and updated Lorex to Dahua.

Many of us here run Dahua cameras as they represent a great value in terms of cost and performance (day and night).

Yes you can use BI and offload stored video to a NAS.
So you are suggesting I upgrade my cameras as well? Here's a link to the cameras I currently have.
4MP Outdoor Metal Camera with 150FT Color Night Vision, HEVC, Black

I don't have a problem with that and I do understand what you mean when you said "Many people here have done just that as they learned about cameras and realized that they needed better optics and updated Lorex to Dahua." I've felt that way about my system over the last few years after doing more research online.

I'd really like something more custom. Definitely get rid of my current NVR. Maybe get new cameras with better resolution and a good POE switch, Blue Iris and NAS.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is up to you on replacing the cameras.

If the wildlife is your primary focus, they are fine and in fact some updates in cameras will make triggering for wildlife problematic as many are tweaking the algorithms to eliminate false triggers and a byproduct of that is not triggering for animals.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is up to you on replacing the cameras.

If the wildlife is your primary focus, they are fine and in fact some updates in cameras will make triggering for wildlife problematic as many are tweaking the algorithms to eliminate false triggers and a byproduct of that is not triggering for animals.

I actually ended up turning off all notifications on my current system long ago because of the wild life. We have deer, rabbits, racoons, skunks, porcupines, along with neighborhood cats etc. I was getting notifications nonstop because of the traffic. So I just watch them when I catch them on my monitor. I actually wouldn't mine having some turret cameras so I could follow them.