NVR the best way to go - small system?

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We need to record the video from our cameras, right? Or they're just kind of 'hollow threats'.

Which is what my Foscams have always been. So I'm moving to Dahua type stuff.

So to record. I think there's three ways:
. Blue Iris or similar recording to pc disk.
. An SD card in the camera.
. An NVR.

Am I right?

Is there some thread where the merits of the three, the details of the three, are discussed? Where I can learn something about it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We need to record the video from our cameras, right? Or they're just kind of 'hollow threats'.

. An NVR.

Am I right?

Is there some thread where the merits of the three, the details of the three, are discussed? Where I can learn something about it?
yes, there are several threads discussing this...
SD cards are for backup...you should use them regardless of which other recording medium you choose.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

. An NVR.

Am I right?

Hi Abrogard,

You definitely want to record, at least a couple of days imho.

I've got a few links in my notes which will direct you to a couple of threads which I found interesting and apply:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Also, as Fenderman notes, it is even possible to use a combination of the above - even running all 3 from what I have read - though most don't go that far. I started with the NVR w/building in PoE ports route as that was quickest for me to get setup, a lot of people here really like Blue Iris and a PoE switch. Waiting for a black friday deal for microSD cards for on camera storage option for some of the cameras.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the link(s). Lot of reading there.
I will study it all soon as I can.

Basically wondering if I need a dedicated NVR 'machine' or is using the pc as a recorder good enough?

I see that often the term 'nvr' is used to apply to a pc, I think.

Like if I want to protect a weekender or an isolated farm building is it better to have a setup with a NVR box or a pc inside?

I imagine it's all dependent upon the actual application.

edit: 5/12/17

Yes, it depends on the application and personal preferences.
Drawing closer to answering my own questions I begin to think PC based NVR's are better, for me.

Last edited: