NVR that works with various brands of cameras

Lee Denton

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a customer that I was going to install a blue iris system for. But I’m thinking he is not going to be happy with blue iris software due to the fact that he is not technical at all and he is a bit of a button pusher as he likes to poke around in the system. I currently have some reolink 811-a cams and some empire tech bullets in the more important areas. Is there a NVR that will play well with various brands of cameras using onvif and work well with push notifications to an iOS app? I noticed empire tech sells nvr systems but wasn’t sure if they will relay push notifications from multiple brands of cameras like blue iris does? He only wants to view his recordings and live push notifications from his iOS app. He really wants to see the push notifications on his phone. Does anyone have a nvr that you are using multiple brands of cameras on with accurate push notifications to the clients phone? I know blue iris does a good job of this. Thanks.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone have a nvr that you are using multiple brands of cameras on with accurate push notifications to the clients phone?
I have a uniarch (UNV) NVR that runs 3 uniarch cameras, 1 UNV camera, 2 dahua cameras and 2 Tiandy cameras.
The NVR will do notifications for the uniarch and unv cameras not a problem as you would expect for devices of the same brand.
The NVR doesn't see alerts for IVS rules from the dahua cameras so the notifications have to come directly from the cameras.
The NVR can only see the Tiandy cameras by RTSP so no alerts there either and those particular cameras don't do secure email so i don't have any alerts from them at all.

If you're going to run an NVR you're best to match brands for NVR and cameras for best compatibility, otherwise there's no guarantee that anything will work as you expect.

Lee Denton

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a uniarch (UNV) NVR that runs 3 uniarch cameras, 1 UNV camera, 2 dahua cameras and 2 Tiandy cameras.
The NVR will do notifications for the uniarch and unv cameras not a problem as you would expect for devices of the same brand.
The NVR doesn't see alerts for IVS rules from the dahua cameras so the notifications have to come directly from the cameras.
The NVR can only see the Tiandy cameras by RTSP so no alerts there either and those particular cameras don't do secure email so i don't have any alerts from them at all.

If you're going to run an NVR you're best to match brands for NVR and cameras for best compatibility, otherwise there's no guarantee that anything will work as you expect.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with above.
Dahua NVRs will run other brand cameras, I’ve used HiK as well as Axis with them. It’s the higher level features that are proprietary to each manufacturer that are the problem.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Lee Denton

n3wb
Reaction score