NVR systems - Dahua or Hikvision...or other?

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all, Long time lurker here.

Question for all of you NVR experienced folks....which NVR brands do you prefer?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, Long time lurker here.

Question for all of you NVR experienced folks....which NVR brands do you prefer?
Welcome @dabflyboy

Most members prefer using Blue Iris on a decent PC and a PoE switch.

Otherwise, pick the brand of cameras first and then the same brand of NVR for best compatibility.
( example Dahua cameras, Dahua NVR.. )

Btw - I do think this is covered in the Cliff Notes.. if not please let me know, thanks

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome @dabflyboy

Most members prefer using Blue Iris on a decent PC and a PoE switch.

Otherwise, pick the brand of cameras first and then the same brand of NVR for best compatibility.
( example Dahua cameras, Dahua NVR.. )

Btw - I do think this is covered in the Cliff Notes.. if not please let me know, thanks
Thanks @mat200,

I'm not entirely opposed to a PC and Blue Iris, I just figured an NVR would be a relatively simple setup. One of my concerns is ease of use for my family while I am not there.

In terms of the Cliff Notes...honestly, I didn't even see them. Thanks for that. I'll give them a look right away.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IMHO
I found the Dahua interface to be a little retro and old fashioned
The Hikvision early models was slightly better, but still ancient, the newer one only slightly better
Blue Iris is a powerful PC based option, but has a steep learning curve.

If you have the situation where 'others' may have to reference the system when you are not there, then I would say that Hikvision would probably be the answer.

I have both Hikvision and Blue Iris, as well as IVMS4200 on the PC and IVMS4500 on the mobile, but ALL of them require some effort and time to understand.

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IMHO
I found the Dahua interface to be a little retro and old fashioned
The Hikvision early models was slightly better, but still ancient, the newer one only slightly better
Blue Iris is a powerful PC based option, but has a steep learning curve.

If you have the situation where 'others' may have to reference the system when you are not there, then I would say that Hikvision would probably be the answer.

I have both Hikvision and Blue Iris, as well as IVMS4200 on the PC and IVMS4500 on the mobile, but ALL of them require some effort and time to understand.
Thanks @Silas. I think what I'm looking for a system that is relatively easy to setup, won't have issues rebooting/reconnecting on its own when the power goes out (happens frequently here), and still has a decent interface for retrieving video and images when needed. I'm thinking about getting this one...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks @Silas. I think what I'm looking for a system that is relatively easy to setup, won't have issues rebooting/reconnecting on its own when the power goes out (happens frequently here), and still has a decent interface for retrieving video and images when needed. I'm thinking about getting this one...

Blue iris is actually much easier to use and to review/export video from than a hikvision NVR. If someone doesnt know what they are doing, they wont be able to use either. In fact, if the end users are only given access to the blue iris ui3 web interface there is less opportunity for them to screw things up than on a hik nvr. I do suggest you buy the hik NVR. Then when the end users are dissatisfied, they will appreciate blue iris so much more.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Newest (4.0) web interface on Dahua NVRs (4ks2 models) are much easer and better from newest (4.0) web interface on HIK I-series NVRs.

HIK put all configuration in one menu, which has 3 levels of sub menus, everything is cramped and many correlated functions (like managing cameras, video and encoding options on it) are located in different subtrees of menu - it’s very difficult to locate and remember.

Dahua has web interface based on Function modules represented by icons (something like apps). Also configuration represented is by 5-6 modules (depending of NVRs model). Inside modules there are usually only 1 level deep menu. Everything is much easier to find and usually all correlated functions are located in the same module (like managing cams list, firmware manage, video options, encoding options, ptz - everything in one module called Cameras...).

also in Dahua local hdmi/vga interface and web interface are very similar - they looks almost the same and there is small difference in functionality. Also smartPss (Windows/Mac app) have very similar interface

In HIK local hdmi and web interface are much more diffrent. Also IVMS (Windows app) have different user interface and configuration tree.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Big difference was for me also searching in old videos. On HIK NVR's over web interface You can watch any moment from 24/7 video store but You can't easy filter it/locate videos created by Smart Events (line crossing, intrusion etc) or AI functions.

On Dahua this works very well - there are boxes what video files You want watch and if You select Inteligent (IVS) there will be only videos created by IVS presented on time line...

Also Dahua NVR's have big nice AI menu - where You can very easy locate all events created by different IVS/AI functions with picture and video preview...

HIK has this function over local (HDMI) interface - but I didn't find it in web interface..

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting. Any idea if either Dahua or Hikvision NVRs have ablility to de-select certain areas in the field of view that I don't want motion detection to be activated...or does that lie solely with the cameras? I don't want plants and trees blowing in the wind to keep setting off the system's motion record

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any idea if either Dahua or Hikvision NVRs have ablility to de-select certain areas in the field of view that I don't want motion detection to be activated...
Most Dahua/Hik NVRS don't have enough processor power to do their own motion detection and rely on the cameras doing it themselves.

IMO, basic motion detection on most cameras is the worst. While you can usually de-select certain areas (like you were asking), the controls you have for the rest of the areas are pretty basic and it can be hard to tune to avoid false alerts without making it so that it's prone to missing legitimate motion.

Most Dahua/Hik models come with an additional (and much better, IMO) form of motion detection. Dahua calls theirs IVS and Hik calls theirs Smart Events. These support things like tripwires, intrusion zones, etc and usually have fewer false alerts without missing as much legitimate motion. The new "AI" versions of these cameras are starting to be able to filter objects and only alert if a person or car, but that's still a fairly new technology IMO.

Going back to @mat200's advice about keeping the brand of the NVR and camera the same, that's super important for IVS/Smart Events. If you add a Hikvision camera to a Dahua NVR, the Dahua NVR will not be able to use the Hik camera's better Smart Events motion detection. Same if you add a Dahua camera to a Hikvision NVR ... it won't be able to use the Dahua camera's better IVS motion detection.

Blue Iris is kinda cool because not only does it have its own advanced version of motion detection built in, but it can also use cameras' basic motion detection or Dahua IVS/Hikvision SmartEvents. You can even have BI use its motion detection on a camera, plus use the camera's motion detection at the same time.

The problem my family had when we had a Dahua NVR is that when they'd open the app on their phone, it was a multi-step process to see what alert clips had been recorded. With Blue Iris, they open the app on their phone and can easily see all of the alert clips in chronological order. Super easy.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Normally all video analysis are done on cams (in HIK and in Dahua). There are 3 levels of it:

• classic motion detection - which detects that something changed in video... You can select/deselect in which area and with what sensitivity... All cams have this function but it generate very high rate of false positives (trees, shadows, birds even rain and wind)...
  • Smart Events (HIK) / IVS (Dahua) - more inteligent version in which You can setup line crossing detection (by drawing line to cross) or intrusion detection (by drawing area shape like rectangle) - this detect that some object crossed/entered line/shape... Many cameras from last a few years have this function, but some cheapest don't... This created much less false positives but sometime birds/dogs or strange shadows can create it...
  • AI functions - newest line of cam's can have extra processor (AI processor) which can detect (classify) people / cars on video streams to filter classic and smart events.. this works best...

NVR's only store video and event information... You can search by event on it (by using web/local interface or windows/Mac/iPhone/androids apps)..

In this part Dahua worked better for me - without problems I can search by event type in NVR's web panel and computer/mobile apps.
Also Dahua has better management of cams - You can configure motion detection/IVS/AI for each Dahua cam in NVR web panel..

PS. There are special versions of NVR's which can do video smart/AI analysis locally and can work with cheapest/most stupid cams giving this functions... But they have own limitations and usually AI functions don't work the same quality as on cams..

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I might be sold on going with Blue Iris. Now, the question becomes of where to purchase a good quality PC that won't break the bank. Thanks everyone, you all are a wealth of knowledge.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think I might be sold on going with Blue Iris. Now, the question becomes of where to purchase a good quality PC that won't break the bank. Thanks everyone, you all are a wealth of knowledge.
FYI - I found a nice PC on craigslist, used Dell Business class one. Looks like should be able to find a i7-6700 one for $200-300