NVR System Recommendations

gregm

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm researching for a friend, and was all set to recommend a PC with Blue Iris, and X number of cameras wired with POE. But the more I think about her needs, the more I wonder if an NVR system would make a better choice.

Give the needs below, what NVR package type setup would you recommend?

She needs,
  • NVR
  • POE switch?
  • 4-8 cameras (with 16 channels)
  • late evening and night is primary usage (so if the basic package has 4 cams, the freedom to add more (perhaps higher quality cams) would be great

Hopefully that's enough info.

For the record, if it was my system, I would definitely go PC and BI, but when putting myself in her not-so-tech-savy shoes, I'd like to look at some NVR packages you all recommend.

Thanks in advance,

P.S. If there is a better place to post this question, please let me know.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See this post of someone that went the NVR route for that reason and is now looking to go with Blue Iris after just a few hours of the demo....

scott33

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm researching for a friend, and was all set to recommend a PC with Blue Iris, and X number of cameras wired with POE. But the more I think about her needs, the more I wonder if an NVR system would make a better choice.

Give the needs below, what NVR package type setup would you recommend?

She needs,
  • NVR
  • POE switch?
  • 4-8 cameras (with 16 channels)
  • late evening and night is primary usage (so if the basic package has 4 cams, the freedom to add more (perhaps higher quality cams) would be great

Hopefully that's enough info.

For the record, if it was my system, I would definitely go PC and BI, but when putting myself in her not-so-tech-savy shoes, I'd like to look at some NVR packages you all recommend.

Thanks in advance,

P.S. If there is a better place to post this question, please let me know.

I also am looking for the same thing for a friend. I have been looking at the Lorex but it is hard to find an 8 camera system. I am wondering if there are better nvr options.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
if they are after some set up and forget system, then try those NVR with built in ports.
One less appliance to worry about.

I'll avoid the package kind (cam + nvr) package as you can't pick and choose what camera you want.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The problems with the NVRs from the box units like a Amcrest and Lorex cap out incoming bandwidth (which impacts the resolution and FPS of the cameras).

The Lorex and Amcrest NVR maxes out at 80Mbps and for many of them truly only one or a couple cameras that will display 4K. My neighbors was limited to that and he is all upset it isn't 4K for all eight channels and he was capped out at 4096 bitrate on each camera so it was a pixelated mess.

Plus they throw in 4k cameras because that is what the general public consumer wants and then puts it on a 1/3" sensor and then suffer from poor quality at night. A 2MP on a a 1/2.8" sensor will kick this 4k camera butt all night long.

My neighbor thought he was all fancy with his 4k cameras and it failed him during a door checking event. Meanwhile, my many years old 2MP camera provided the picture that the police were able to use to get all my neighbors stuff back!

My neighbor ended up replacing several of his 4k cameras with the make/models of my 2MP cameras....

scott33

n3wb
Reaction score
The problems with the NVRs from the box units like a Amcrest and Lorex cap out incoming bandwidth (which impacts the resolution and FPS of the cameras).

The Lorex and Amcrest NVR maxes out at 80Mbps and for many of them truly only one or a couple cameras that will display 4K. My neighbors was limited to that and he is all upset it isn't 4K for all eight channels and he was capped out at 4096 bitrate on each camera so it was a pixelated mess.

Plus they throw in 4k cameras because that is what the general public consumer wants and then puts it on a 1/3" sensor and then suffer from poor quality at night. A 2MP on a a 1/2.8" sensor will kick this 4k camera butt all night long.

My neighbor thought he was all fancy with his 4k cameras and it failed him during a door checking event. Meanwhile, my many years old 2MP camera provided the picture that the police were able to use to get all my neighbors stuff back!

My neighbor ended up replacing several of his 4k cameras with the make/models of my 2MP cameras....
Do you still recommend ip cameras better than analog or are there still some good analog systems?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First choice would be IP cameras as they are much more configurable, but Dahua has some pretty good analog, as do others.

Check out this post where someone compared their Dahua analog to a Dahua IP - that analog is better than some lower end IP cams!

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
ip cameras can be powered by poe, only 1 cable is required to reach the camera vs 2 for analog unless it's existing wiring ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ip cameras can be powered by poe, only 1 cable is required to reach the camera vs 2 for analog unless it's existing wiring ..
Not ideal, but you can also get adapters to take ethernet to analog and vice versa. I have used them both and work really well. First choice is to run the correct cable, but sometimes we gotta go with the hand we are dealt.

Many years ago with my analog system I needed to replace the wiring due to water issues, so I ran an ethernet cable and then an adapter so that I could continue with the analog camera as I wasn't ready to make the jump to IP cameras yet, but future proofed me for when I would make the jump to IP.

Years later when I made the switch to IP cameras, I had one camera that would be more hassle than it was worth to replace the analog wiring with ethernet, so then I got a BNC to POE adapter and it has served me well.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
NVRs are alright. They get a bit of bash around here.
But they're nothing fancy and are just a brick recording the footage.

NVR has its pros to a PC with VMS. Main advantage is that it's a plug and play box and (most) have a POE switch built in. But then PCs/Servers come in small formfactors to, just with a separate POE switch.

It's debatable whether an NVR is more user friendly than a PC with VMS. You could grant the NVR is easier because it doesn't have as much functionality? Idk if that's a selling point or not lol.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not ideal, but you can also get adapters to take ethernet to analog and vice versa....
the cost adds up quickly for those baluns.. 2 each for every camera .. but yes, you are right.
no right or wrong answer here.. just have to make do with whatever existing and go from there.

gregm

n3wb
Reaction score
NVRs are alright. They get a bit of bash around here.
But they're nothing fancy and are just a brick recording the footage.

NVR has its pros to a PC with VMS. Main advantage is that it's a plug and play box and (most) have a POE switch built in. But then PCs/Servers come in small formfactors to, just with a separate POE switch.

It's debatable whether an NVR is more user friendly than a PC with VMS. You could grant the NVR is easier because it doesn't have as much functionality? Idk if that's a selling point or not lol.
I've heard a couple others mention a PC with VMS .. is a VMS same as a Virtual Machine?

the cost adds up quickly for those baluns.. 2 each for every camera .. but yes, you are right.
no right or wrong answer here.. just have to make do with whatever existing and go from there.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
True, but it is the whole Xerox and Band-aid analogy LOL. Many will consider VMS in general to entail how are cameras recorded and played back. Some people call Blue Iris an NVR!

gregm

n3wb
Reaction score
You guys are awesome! Thank you. I guess the consensus is even if one goes with an NVR, buy the NVR separate so that one can choose which cameras to use.

For the record, as mentioned, I have Blue Iris on my home setup and love it. If I were building another system for me, it would most definitely be PC + BI + Cams. But since this is for someone who is not so savvy, I'm still torn on what would be best for her.

scott33

n3wb
Reaction score
You guys are awesome! Thank you. I guess the consensus is even if one goes with an NVR, buy the NVR separate so that one can choose which cameras to use.

For the record, as mentioned, I have Blue Iris on my home setup and love it. If I were building another system for me, it would most definitely be PC + BI + Cams. But since this is for someone who is not so savvy, I'm still torn on what would be best for her.
So which setup are you going with for your friend?