NVR recommendations?

Willie

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm pretty much a newbie to IP cams.
I've just installed a cheap Zmodo 4ch 1tb some distance from any buildings. I've run electricity to the site and a wifi bridge hooks it to my LAN. I plan on putting it in a weather proof box. I need to adjust the configuration remotely and, hopefully, be able to control and monitor just as if I had access to it's HDMI output. The Zmodo does have a web server and does respond when I point a browser on my LAN to it. But, after a login, nothing but a blank screen. I find Zmodo support below useless. The NVR does do cloud stuff ok though I remain confused at the plethora of Zmodo apps: Zsight, Zmodo, MeShare and their purposes.

So, I'm shopping for a NVR that will serve my needs and ask for suggestions. Maybe something that runs X and would give me a window in response to a "ssh -XC <IP>" login.

OH! I run an all Linux LAN. Also, I have limited internet bandwidth and would like to minimize my cloud use.

Last edited:

Willie

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you performed 'Add Device' as on page 4.8 of this manual to add/enable all 4 cams?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/B1vHR9eoc5S.pdf

Yours may be the new model but its likely very similar.
Thanks! Mine is very similar to the one in the manual above. I had located and downloaded the above manual. I did not find a manual that exactly matches my NVR. My cameras have POE supplied directly from the NVR box; camera connections are not RJ45 as pictured in the manual. Also, my NVR box has both VGA and HDMI video outputs.

I did get things set up and working indoors before I moved it into the inaccessible location. All four cameras were automatically recognized and everything seemed to work as expected. Several of the Android/Zmodo apps worked (and continue to work). The NVR worked and continues to work through my LAN. I have a wifi bridge out to the inaccessible location.

My main question is: Can someone recommend another NVR that will better meet my needs? Something with better remote access via local Linux systems that will allow desktop/laptop monitoring and configuration over my LAN?

A secondary question: Does anyone know how to get remote access to this Zmodo, via local Linux systems, that will allow desktop/laptop monitoring and configuring?

As a work around, I am shopping for a small cheap HDMI display that I can easily carry out to the NVR. Suggestions on that also solicited.

This is a test for me. I hope to install about 3 more NVRs, all on my LAN at three other locations.