NVR recommendations

jdub765

n3wb
Reaction score
So I'm looking for an NVR appliance that I can hopefully place inside a safe. The safe will be pretty large at 24 cu ft (about 5ft x 3ft x 2ft). I'm currently recording to BlueIris but would like a redundant device recording as well. I currently have 5 3MP HikVision cams and one dinky foscam.

Low power consumption would be great since it'll probably be in an enclosed space. I have a 4 TB hard drive I can put into it. I'd like to only have to run 1 ethernet cable to it since the system is already hooked up to PoE switches and connected to the home network.

I've been looking at HikVision, Dahua, and Lorex NVRs but I can't really figure one from another and was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction. Any help is appreciated!

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
In a safe will present heat problems. Keeping the POE power supply out of the safe is the biggest positive thing. I have a Dahua 5216-4ks2 which has an external power brick, so with that there's the potential of keeping that outside the safe, too. You're sill left with the heat from the DVR and the disk drive to deal with. In a large safe maybe it will be ok. Something I don't know offhand. After using a rebranded Hikvision NVR and a Dahua NVR, I'd steer you without reservations to Dahua. (I'm not saying it's perfect, just a lot better overall). If money is an issue the Hik cameras you already have are a liability in switching. Putting Hik cameras on a Dahua NVR (and vice-versa) leads to problems you would probably don't want to have.

jdub765

n3wb
Reaction score
Man... Yeah it would be a pain to swap cameras out to Dahua. It'd be another few hundred dollars plus the time it takes to swap them out.
So the Hikvisions are just horrible? The Dahua NVRs seem sort of hard to get. The usual big vendors online seem to be sold out.

It seems like some of these NVRs <15 watts w/o a HD, so probably about 20 watts with a hard drive, which is probably okay in a safe. Safe dehumidifier are usually around 15-20 watts. But some of the NVRs are 130+ watts, which is probably not okay in a safe. I guess I'll figure out where to put it after I figure out which one to get.