NVR recommendation please

bdorring

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi.
I currently have 8 hikvision POE cameras, on POE switches.
I use blueiris at the moment and plan to continue to use it.

I am after a NVR to capture 24x7 footage.

Requirements: Record 10-12 cameras, 24x7. Cameras 3/4Mb's
Non mandatory requirement. 4 Ports which are POE on this NVR, as currently have no more POE ports available. And if i want to expand cameras, i can use NVR POE ports, instead of buying additional POE switch.

Any recommendations please?

BTW, what does 8 channel NVR mean? Does that matter to me, since my existing 8 cameras are on network? Or does it mean i can only stream a max of 8 cameras to that NVR? Does it mean I need at least a 12 channel NVR?

Thanks for any suggestions.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi.
I currently have 8 hikvision POE cameras, on POE switches.
I use blueiris at the moment and plan to continue to use it.

I am after a NVR to capture 24x7 footage.

Requirements: Record 10-12 cameras, 24x7. Cameras 3/4Mb's
Non mandatory requirement. 4 Ports which are POE on this NVR, as currently have no more POE ports available. And if i want to expand cameras, i can use NVR POE ports, instead of buying additional POE switch.

Any recommendations please?

BTW, what does 8 channel NVR mean? Does that matter to me, since my existing 8 cameras are on network? Or does it mean i can only stream a max of 8 cameras to that NVR? Does it mean I need at least a 12 channel NVR?

Thanks for any suggestions.
"X" Channel is the total number of Video/ONVIF feeds that the NVR will access/view/record. So if you have an NVR that is 8 POE port/16 channel it means you can connect upto 8 cameras directly to the NVR and you can have another 8 on the same network feeding to the NVR for 16 cameras total.

Also you won't find a "12 channel", you will need a 16.

bdorring

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Excellent. Thanks for that.
Any recommendations for a 16 channel NVR, with or without POE ports, for me to start my investigation?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Excellent. Thanks for that.
Any recommendations for a 16 channel NVR, with or without POE ports, for me to start my investigation?
Dahua has a DVR4416-16 with POE built in and a solid incoming bandwidth of 200mb
HIKVision has a DS-7716N 16P with POE built in and 180mb incoming bandwidth
LTS sells a new Quad Core beast that is 16 channels with POE LTN8916-16. In my opinion it's incoming bandwidth is a little low being their new "enterprise" series at 160mb but at the same time that will be plenty for 99% of people.

Don't let my bandwidth numbers worry you to much

A 4MP camera @ 6860kbps will run around 7mb so 16 cameras at this high rate will still only put you around 120mb

bdorring

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thankyou.
How about a recommendation of a 16 channel NVR without POE? Doesn't need any network ports, other than 1 port for upload.
Then can always buy more POE switches if i do increase from my 8 current cameras.

Thanks again.

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LTS offers the LTN8916-P16 as previously described (with the built in POE ports). They also offer the LTN8916 with no built in POE and two rj-45 ports (one for the POE switches and one for LAN). Basically, anything they offer has a base model and a POE version...their model numbers break down to LTN89[model number] 16[channels] - P16[POE ports]. For example, they also offer LTN8932-P16 which has 32 channels and 16 built in POE ports whereas the LTN8932 has 32 channels and no built in POE.

If you are looking for a recommendation, go with the LTN8916 from LTS. Should suit your needs and work with your existing equipment.

Last edited: