Nvr poe or poe switch

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I know the pluses and minuses of either choice. What isn't clear to me is if using a poe switch for 8 cameras, will it have increased network traffic and stress? I seem to remember something was said about constant network packets and communication being sent over the network no matter if you're activley viewing the cameras or not. That extra network traffic I do not want just for the sake of powering cameras. At that point, I'd rather put up with the drawbacks of poe in the nvr itself. Which approach causes less network stress?

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The point of a switch to manage the traffic for each connection vs. sending the packets to everyone. The idea would be that you connect your NVR or NVR PC to the same switch as the cameras. Failing to do that will cause all the camera traffic to go to another switch or router.

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is there any differance with port forwarding camera's on a poe switch vs cams on the NVR POE ports? Are the cameras on the same subnet in both cases?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe I'm going to go with a poe nvr. Bottom line, it creates a parallel network and keeps the camera traffic separate and off my main network until I'm viewing it remotely. Hitting the cameras web pages can still be done, either initially before I put them on the nvr, or through the nvr albeit a little more of a pain. But with eight 2mp cameras, this should help my bandwidth considerably, especially considering I have remote feeds open all night.

Beemer533

n3wb
Reaction score
The price difference between a poe nvr and a non poe nvr is close to one of these;

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-ProSafe-M4100-D10-POE-Managed-FSM5210P-100NES/dp/B00AUEYX0Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1405131957&sr=8-3&keywords=netgear+poe+switch+8+port

I just got this switch and am waiting for my 7716 NVR to be delivered.

I have the switch running now and since it is a managed smart switch you can set up vlans and whatever you need to isolate IPC traffic.

The switch has 8 100mb poe ports and 2 GB ports for up link. I have one GB port connected to my main network switch and the other to my current nvr. These GB ports can also be used with an sfp module for fiber if needed...

For $130 it is a good deal. Just another option for you..

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like what Beemer is advising shock. I'm not a fan of the built in POE. I just feel like maybe they cheap out to save money and don't use a quality POE or something like that. But obviously, your
free to do what you think is best for you.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With a power budget of 66W at the switch, it's borderline for the Hikvision cameras that use 7W at the camera, so depends on cable lengths.

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That looks like a great switch! Be aware that the Power supply unit is 66 watts. So though you can use all 8 ports for POE... You will not have 15 watts per port for all eight! Most cameras do not use more than about 7 watts so that is doable but if you add a phone (It has Auto VoIP) or high wattage device you will have to take it into consideration.
For that price it is a great deal!!
Just a heads up.
FWIW: On my Cisco switch, I can turn off all the blinkie LED lights and save 3-4 watts.

View attachment 794

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That switch has a fan I'm guessing? And where are you getting the 7716? Oh I see that's a hikvision. Okay. Thought it was a dahua. When are these bad boys gonna be available I wonder?

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/nvr7208721672327264-8p-567.html

Funny that you ask that, cause I'm installing a 7216 today. I ordered one a few months ago because I like the 256mbps max. It's cheaper than the 5216, but the 7216 cannot record over 2mp, which is ok with me, cause I'm only using 1.3's. If you really want one shock, I can order one in my next order but won't get it for a month or so.

Beemer533

n3wb
Reaction score
I was surprised, but there is no fan on that netgear!

I'm getting the 7716 from LTS..

I haven't played around with it much, but I think I can turn off the leds on my other netgear switches..

As far as the power budget, the Hikvision cameras I have are all rated at 7 watts with ir on, 5 with it off. 56 watts total max.. Obviously, other cameras may take more.. For the price though, I think it is a good deal.

The other reason I went this way is compatibility ; from what I've read, the hikvision NVR will work with other onvif cameras, however the built-in poe will only power hikvision cameras... Sounds odd, but I would rather avoid the issue all together since I also have a couple days as as well.

Not to mention the 7716 without poe is on sale right now...

Last edited by a moderator:

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Funny that you ask that, cause I'm installing a 7216 today. I ordered one a few months ago because I like the 256mbps max. It's cheaper than the 5216, but the 7216 cannot record over 2mp, which is ok with me, cause I'm only using 1.3's. If you really want one shock, I can order one in my next order but won't get it for a month or so.
The record rate for the 7216 is 192 Mbps and 128 Mbps for the 5216. Where I see the BIG difference is the Max. User Access. The 5216 is only 20 where the 7216 is 128... That is huge!!

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, but I think I want to keep at least 3mp as an option. I doubt I'd ever go to 5mp, but 3mp is something I'll probably be doing for some channels.

About the 4208, you know it IS new and this looks to be the most throughput unit they have! I find it odd that it is readily available and cheaper than anything I've seen for lesser units! What gives with that I wonder.

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/nvr420842164232-8p-640.html

This is the first spec I've seen on dahua units that reads like this about the poe. Hmm.

NVR: 60W (without HDD)
PoE: Max. 25.5 for Single Port

Last edited:

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it may only have one powered poe port?? I don't get that spec. All their other nvr's read 15w (each). Something is up with that spec for the 4208p. Could it possibly be that the poe only has 25w spread over all eight? 3 or so watts per??

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Shock, where did you see the 7216 is 190mbs? Dahua website says its 256 like I had mentioned?

Clipboard02-24.jpg

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From what I read, the 4208 has 8 POE ports and if you only have one camera plugged into it, it's 25watts max.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is a screenshot of the 7216 with 7 1.3mp eyeballs.

Clipboard01-106.jpg

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks good Vec. I didn't question the throughput of the 7216 did I? LOL! I don't think so. Yeah, that puts it at the highest throughput I think. I'm starting to get lost in it!

What I don't understand though is the incoming bandwidth on these things can be one thing, and then the recording spec can be lower. I've seen 160 incoming bandwidth with a recording spec of 128 max. Why the difference?

Also, I wonder why the 4208 is readily available for cheap on ebay, while the 72xx can't be found. Are they newer than the 42xx?