NVR or DVR with slow Internet

Bcs001

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd suggest that for the final installation, and maybe even while your testing, that you consider using external, or auxiliary, IR illumination.
I'll definitely keep that in mind. How would you typiocally get 12v power to them in remote locations? Where I would need them is farthest from the house.

I'd suggest the IPC5442T-ZE because it is an excellent, all around, workhorse camera.
Good suggestion. Is there a reason for or against bullet cams vs turrets? The turrets look like they may be less expensive?

A couple of night comparison shots, camera models are embedded in the shots -
Very helpful. Ive been looking for still shots of various cameras to get a feel for FOV. I have some locations that I will want a pretty wide view vs other locations (like my driveways) where the target area is narrow.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The large IR illuminator needs a separate 12 volt DC supply because it draws significant power. The smaller ones can be powered using a PoE splitter and a "Y" cable on the PoE line going to the camera.

In terms of view, I've found that 3.6mm is probably the best for a wide view in areas like you have around your house. In terms of narrower views the "ZE" or even stronger varifocal cameras are needed. Keep in mind that the optics of a varifocal reduce the light transmission of the lens system, more elements to absorb light. That's why the 5442-6mm shot looks so crisp and clean compared to the ZE shot. For a distance n the 6mm, the fir tree in the background is about 50 feet from the camera. There's a handy little tool to let you convert a zoom factor/number to approximate mm equivalents -

Focal Length Calculator

Bcs001

n3wb
Reaction score
@Bcs001 - as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, you need to get the camera for the distance you are trying to cover and then get the best MP/sensor ratio for that distance. In some instances it will be a 2MP.

For example, in this photo, if you want to identify someone or a vehicle coming around that bend at that location, the 5442 fixed cam won't cut it and just guessing on distance, the Z4E won't either. You will need to PTZ it or go with a 2MP Z12E
Yes, the guidelines you posted arevery helpful. In that long driveway shot, I think I'm going to be ok with just DETECT AND OBSERVE out to the far distance and to IDENTIFY as a target comes closer down the driveway.

If I go with a 4mp turret or bullet vari-focus, how far out will motion or IR sensors pickup for notifications?

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
With the standard IR, even at maximum zoom, I wouldn't expect more than 100 feet. With auxiliary IR maybe 150 feet.

Reaction score
Ive been looking for still shots of various cameras to get a feel for FOV. I have some locations that I will want a pretty wide view vs other locations (like my driveways) where the target area is narrow.
Go to the link below to see FOV for some 4MP on 1/1.8" sensors.

Bcs001

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a reason for or against bullet cams vs turrets? The turrets look like they may be less expensive? Most of my locations will be on poles or posts without any protection from rain/wind.

I know with my Arlos, the lenses get wet and the images distorted at times.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any camera, bullet or turret, will get rain on the lens protector. I've got two turrets mounted in trees, meaning the base is vertical rather than horizontal, and they hold up very well. The ball portion is waterproof and that's where the camera actually is. I have rigged a rain shield for a 3241T-ZAS that is mounted to a vertical post. That one faces southwest and gets a "face" full of rain/snow with almost every storm. The rain shield is just a piece of slat from a vertical blind, trimmed to length and held on with a cable tie. It does work very effectively though.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bullets tend to have better night vision as many are equipped with 4 IR LEDs (2 near and 2 far) instead of 2 LEDs (1 near and 1 far).

It comes down to what you are wanting to cover and WAF lol.