NVR or Computer for surveillance

remoras

n3wb
Reaction score
People I'm a little lost and I need your assistance, in various locations I have installed 12 cameras and dvr's from which I get the picture from these cameras and I can see them in my browser from a remote location (my home). Now I want to record to a HDD the feeds from my cameras, so I want to ask what is better solution an NVR or to build a computer and use a software like Blue Iris?

Also if I use an NVR on my home to monitor and record the feeds from my cameras does it matter if it is a different model from the all-ready installed cam's and dvr's on the other locations?

Forgive if I'm confusing, any advice will be much appreciated.

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd like to know too now that I have some IP Hikvision cameras. I'm leaning towards NVR for overall integration, smaller size, no windows security to fiddle with and lower power consumption.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
People I'm a little lost and I need your assistance, in various locations I have installed 12 cameras and dvr's from which I get the picture from these cameras and I can see them in my browser from a remote location (my home). Now I want to record to a HDD the feeds from my cameras, so I want to ask what is better solution an NVR or to build a computer and use a software like Blue Iris?

Also if I use an NVR on my home to monitor and record the feeds from my cameras does it matter if it is a different model from the all-ready installed cam's and dvr's on the other locations?

Forgive if I'm confusing, any advice will be much appreciated.
Seems like you have various camera brands...its best to match the NVR to the camera...you may not be able to get a feed to work properly with an NVR, it depends on the cameras you are trying to stream and the NVR.
If all you want is basic recording, then an NVR is ok. Blue iris offers extreme custom options particularly when it comes to alerts and schedules. Personally you could not pay me enough to use a standalone NVR.

remoras

n3wb
Reaction score
Seems like you have various camera brands...its best to match the NVR to the camera...you may not be able to get a feed to work properly with an NVR, it depends on the cameras you are trying to stream and the NVR.
If all you want is basic recording, then an NVR is ok. Blue iris offers extreme custom options particularly when it comes to alerts and schedules. Personally you could not pay me enough to use a standalone NVR.
Thank you again fenderman, you really helped me a lot on all of my threads that i've opened i appreciate it, for sure I gonna go for Blue Iris, I just have to balance my budget for new IP cams and a new pc.

One last thing if i buy only IP cams and no dvr/nvr I'll be fine just with Blue Iris isn't it?

Sorry for the stupid questions and bad grammar, Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you again fenderman, you really helped me a lot on all of my threads that i've opened i appreciate it, for sure I gonna go for Blue Iris, I just have to balance my budget for new IP cams and a new pc.

One last thing if i buy only IP cams and no dvr/nvr I'll be fine just with Blue Iris isn't it?

Sorry for the stupid questions and bad grammar, Thank you.
Yes, blue iris turns the pc into an NVR on steroids. Blue iris is cpu intensive so dont just go out and buy any pc. You will likely need a modern haswell i5 or i7 depending on your cameras resolution.

remoras

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, blue iris turns the pc into an NVR on steroids. Blue iris is cpu intensive so dont just go out and buy any pc. You will likely need a modern haswell i5 or i7 depending on your cameras resolution.
Thank you my friend I appreciate all the help you gave me, Thank you very much!