NVR of choice with POE for 16ch turrets and bullet cams??

Reaction score
I'm looking at system that will have a maximum of 16 cams. I understand the BI is insanely powerful and can be setup to be rock solid, however I honestly don't think I have that skillset and I simply would like to be able to setup a system and leave it be without worry.

Is there a standout NVR system that you guys/gals would recommend? I read a lot about dahua and don't mind spending $2-$3k on the hardware. I see hikvision mentioned a lot on here as well. I would like AI capable cams or NVR system as to help reduce false positive and identify vehicles vs humans etc... If this isn't really too realistic then I'll settle for not having it.

Anyways, I appreciate any input, help, and/or suggestions.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it is recommend to get an NVR that is the same manufacture as your camera. So there is interoperability.
Also get an NVR that has a good amount of processing power, Most NVR are unpower for the newer 4MP and 8MP cameras.
Do you already have cameras if so what are the makes and model numbers.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that an NVR is a stripped down computer....and isn't true plug-n-play like people believe...unless you want crappy night video LOL and leave everything on default. You still have to dial the cameras into your setting. At that point, then you have to decide which gives the better flexibility and options for your situation. Many of us are Blue Iris users and will never go back. Many of us are NVR users and will never switch.

Most here do not use the BI computer for anything but Blue Iris, so we turn off all windows updates. You can keep the virus scanner up to date though. Windows updates have been known to mess up a BI system running fine...usually the drivers, but sometimes the update messes something. At that point it is basically an NVR...albeit a more powerful one!

When I was looking at NVRs, once I realized that not all NVRs are created equal and many can be underpowered in dealing with the bandwidth needed for today's cameras, and once I priced out a good one, it was cheaper to buy a refurbished computer than an NVR and would be the case when you are looking at 16 cameras...

Many of us here purchase these refurbished computers and are business class computers that have come off lease and have Windows 10 professional on them. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so.

The benefit to Blue Iris is with the exception of a few cameras, you can use almost any camera. You will want to match camera brand and NVR manufacturer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a computer that I basically purchased just for BI, which I have installed on it and some random IP cams. It works well, but I was hoping for a suggestion on a good NVR. Reliability is key and I don't want a random update, reboot, crash, etc... to be the reason my cams go down when I need them the most.

I will be getting all new cams as the ones I have are cheap and it was more of a proof of concept type of deal. I'm not saying I won't end up with BI at some point down the road, but for now I am mostly interested in a good NVR.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
If using Dahua cameras, their 5000 series are very good and quite capable and have most all of the latest AI functions. I run one at home and have installed a number of others. Its rock solid and just works.

Dahua naming
5216 (5000 series, 2HD;s 16 channels)
16P= 16 PoE ports built in

The Standard model many here use.
NVR5216/5232-16P-4KS2E

If you absolutely need the advanced Face Recognition, then go with the I series, but doubtful you'll use it
NVR5216-16P-I

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a computer that I basically purchased just for BI, which I have installed on it and some random IP cams. It works well, but I was hoping for a suggestion on a good NVR. Reliability is key and I don't want a random update, reboot, crash, etc... to be the reason my cams go down when I need them the most.

I will be getting all new cams as the ones I have are cheap and it was more of a proof of concept type of deal. I'm not saying I won't end up with BI at some point down the road, but for now I am mostly interested in a good NVR.
True, but if you turn off updates and run BI as a service, it will have more uptime than an NVR....I have had NVRs go down much more frequently and more issues than I have with BI. BI restarts and is almost instantaneous...meanwhile my NVR takes minutes... It's just we are more cognizant of it in a computer. And since I have my NVR feeding some cameras into BI, I now see how much the NVR goes down. As always, YMMV.

Reaction score
If using Dahua cameras, their 5000 series are very good and quite capable and have most all of the latest AI functions. I run one at home and have installed a number of others. Its rock solid and just works.

Dahua naming
5216 (5000 series, 2HD;s 16 channels)
16P= 16 PoE ports built in

The Standard model many here use.
NVR5216/5232-16P-4KS2E

If you absolutely need the advanced Face Recognition, then go with the I series, but doubtful you'll use it
NVR5216-16P-I
Thank you for the suggestion very much. Would this be the "go to" NVR or are there some others that could be suggested (different brands) that would be an equivalent and highly regarded as the one you suggested?

Is there a suggested/preferred vendor to buy these through?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What @bigredfish mentioned is the go to NVR. The go to vendor would be @EMPIRETECANDY a member here with an Amazon site for both the NVR and the cameras. But I am sure some Hikvision users will chime in as well. Comes down to personal preference, just like BI or NVR...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CenterDev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Agree with pretty much everyone's comments, and I would add few more... start slow, no need to go all out and buy all the cameras. Get Dahua or Hikvision cameras. Then match it with an NVR. At somepoint in the future you may decide to switch to BL.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been using a Dahua 5216-4ks2 for about 3 years with really good reliability. It has needed a reboot/reset once or twice, I can't remember which, so on average it needs to be reset less than once a year. I use an external POE switch so if either the NVR or switch fails the replacement cost won't be as high. I would guess that the NVR with built in POE switch has a higher failure risk if only because there's a lot more heat generated in the NVR case. Based only in intuition, I have no failure data to back it up. If you already have plans for 16 cameras, think seriously about getting the 32 channel model. More often than not, users add cameras to their original design.

Reaction score
I've been using a Dahua 5216-4ks2 for about 3 years with really good reliability. It has needed a reboot/reset once or twice, I can't remember which, so on average it needs to be reset less than once a year. I use an external POE switch so if either the NVR or switch fails the replacement cost won't be as high. I would guess that the NVR with built in POE switch has a higher failure risk if only because there's a lot more heat generated in the NVR case. Based only in intuition, I have no failure data to back it up. If you already have plans for 16 cameras, think seriously about getting the 32 channel model. More often than not, users add cameras to their original design.
I appreciate it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Good point on you can never have enough channels ;) And for the record I did have a buddies 16Ch PoE take a lightning spike, killed a camera and 1/2 of his PoE ports. But because you can easily simply add an additional external PoE switch, he was able to be back up and running in a day. You can mix cameras using both the onboard PoE ports as well as external PoE cameras on a separate switch. I actually do that at home.

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have had a few NVRs and switches with built in POE power, the first thing failed was the POE. Now I power my cameras with POE supplies by PowerDsine (24 ports, 60 watts/port). These are built like bricks. Another thing, don’t forget surge protectors on everything.

Reaction score
I have had a few NVRs and switches with built in POE power, the first thing failed was the POE. Now I power my cameras with POE supplies by PowerDsine (24 ports, 60 watts/port). These are built like bricks. Another thing, don’t forget surge protectors on everything.
Thank you for the info. That's very valuable. Would you happen to have a part/model number on one so I can get a good idea. I looked them up and seems like quite a few things come up.

I'll likely put everything on my UPS.

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you plan on having any PTZ Cameras? How many cameras are you planning for your system ? Even with a UPS you still need surge protection especially on long cable runs.
You can find new ones on Ebay most of the times. Let me know what your equipment plans are and I will help you find one. How many ports are on your recorder? If you only have one you will need a switch.

Reaction score
Do you plan on having any PTZ Cameras? How many cameras are you planning for your system ? Even with a UPS you still need surge protection especially on long cable runs.
You can find new ones on Ebay most of the times. Let me know what your equipment plans are and I will help you find one. How many ports are on your recorder? If you only have one you will need a switch.
Yes, I would like PTZ cameras for the majority of the cameras. The system will be approximately 16 cameras, but as someone else pointed out I should go with a larger NVR due to the fact that I'll likely want to install more at some point and time. I have a server, racks, the house is hardwired, so infrastructure wise it is not an issue. I can add and adjust any additional cables or locations as I need as well. I currently have a 48 port managed switch (non poe). I have plenty more room in the rack for more and I can run all the cable I need. I've setup the house with CAT6A, so power shouldn't be an issue either (poe).
I like it
I do like the idea of having a more robust and dedicated POE switch.

I have a few cheap foscam cameras that I picked up over the years just to test this out on BI, which has been running for a year or so.

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you know the maximum power consumption of each PTZ (60 watts each or higher with heaters) and are all the PTZ’s the same? You are going to exceed the incoming bandwidth of a single NVR with all those cameras. You may need multiple NVR’s.