NVR IP Assignment

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the cable is bad, and theres no connection to the camera, then the ladder is your only option on the 5442

As to the others, same problem, but I cant be assured they'll adopt the NVR password

The thing that doesnt make sense is you say they were all reachable (green indicator I assume?) on the bench. So they all had the correct password... and they're all getting an assigned IP from the NVR. So the red indicator would tell me the NVR doesnt recognize their passwords, or some problem with the cable...

So if you havent changed any passwords and they worked before, well....

The pencil icon allows you to tell the NVR the cameras login details. IT DOESNT CHANGE ANYTHING, it simply gives the NVR the correct creds of the camera so it knows how to communicate with them, so unless you changed anything here, this shouldnt apply
View attachment 160129
Ya, I'm guessing now its the cable.

Appreciate your help with this, nice to know the pencil can help change creds. I'lll report back tomorrow once I get everything up and at least know one of my cameras is working with the new NVR :)

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just out of curiositiy, does anyone know who the maker of IPPower camera is? Is it a rebranded verison of a dahua or something? Not sure what the default username / password would be on the off chance the NVR didn't set it..

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just out of curiositiy, does anyone know who the maker of IPPower camera is? Is it a rebranded verison of a dahua or something? Not sure what the default username / password would be on the off chance the NVR didn't set it..
I think IPPower is same owner as Nelly's Security. And they used to rebrand hikvision cameras. But they've stop rebranding hikvision cameras few years ago and switch to Uniview now.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If the old NVR is up and running, and the IP POWER cams are still working on that NVR, you can see if you can change that NVR switch IP to 10.1.1.x for an experiment.
Got a new NVR, setup the cameras to bench test them. Put one out in the field and although the calbes are hooked up, nothing is received on the NVR.

Thee other cameras are older and a different IP Address and password so out of luck there I think

My question, if I take that one new camera that has a 10.1.1.XX IP address and plug it into the router with a DHCP address of 192.168.1.XX will the camera switch over to the 192 address or is it "locked" at the 10.1.1.X address from the DVR? Only way to fix it would be to reset the camera?

Since I talked talk to the camera via the NVR, and I can't get to the camera physically without a ladder and some help, is there any way to factory reset the device via the cable? I can plug a laptop into the cable if I have to and set up the laptop ip for 10.1.1.X if I have to to get access if that would work.
If the camera has a power source ( because routers are NOT Poe) then yes, the camera switches over to 192.168.1.108....if it has not been initialized. If it has been initialized you'd need that ( User/Pass) to log in to 192.168.1.(whatever assigned by router)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You still should be able to connect to each camera with a computer.
Unplug from the NVR, find the IP address assigned to the camera by the NVR in NVR settings.
Plug camera into a POE switch. Work on one camera at a time.
Plug a computer into the same POE switch.
Change the computers IP address to be in the same range as the cameras IP address
If the cameras IP is 10.5.2.4 for example then the computers IP address needs to be in the same range.
With a web browser, type in the IP address of given camera. And see if you can connect.

zexoni70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What type of cable did you use to make the camera run? are they premade cat5e or cat6? or did you terminate them on your own?
Wiring standard 568B is almost always used for connection between NVRs, Switches, IP Cameras and Routers, and you can freely use CAT5e cables because in most cases the cameras have a throughput (speed) of up to 100Mbps, and CAT5e cables can provide a speed of up to 1GBps and up to 100 meters away. (and of course CAT6 is better) :)

You only use the 568A standard if you want to network (connect) two computers with each other with a LAN cable.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You still should be able to connect to each camera with a computer.
Unplug from the NVR, find the IP address assigned to the camera by the NVR in NVR settings.
Plug camera into a POE switch. Work on one camera at a time.
Plug a computer into the same POE switch.
Change the computers IP address to be in the same range as the cameras IP address
If the cameras IP is 10.5.2.4 for example then the computers IP address needs to be in the same range.
With a web browser, type in the IP address of given camera. And see if you can connect.

I have done this, and don't have the login info of the camera, as it does not have the same password as the old NVR that it was connected to. So no idea what the password would be for the camera...

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I was able to get into one of the old IPPower (Hikvision) cameras with the default username and password. I set the IP address to the new subnet and plugged it into the new NVR

It shows up in this list, but its not being added to the bottom of the page.
1681687110584.png

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I was able to get into one of the old IPPower (Hikvision) cameras with the default username and password. I set the IP address to the new subnet and plugged it into the new NVR

It shows up in this list, but its not being added to the bottom of the page.
View attachment 160160
The cameras all dropped down into the bottom half, and the one I configured is working properly, so I know my configuration for the 5442's is correct. Now I need to investigate the wiring.

Appreciate the help all!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You only use the 568A standard if you want to network (connect) two computers with each other with a LAN cable.
A cable terminated T568A on both ends would be functionally the same as a cable terminated with T568B on both ends and both would be considered "straight-thru", not "cross-over."...only the 2 data pairs to pins 1/2 and 3/6 would be colored differently.

A cross-over (X-over) cable is terminated T568A on one end and T568B on the other which was needed to connect 2 computers...but that's somewhat dated since the development of "Auto MDI-X" Ethernet interfaces by Hewlett Packard over 15 years ago, IIRC. Most NIC's, switches and router sold today provide the Auto MDI-X function and so you can use either cable, straight-thru or cross-over, on any Ethernet device. :cool:

zexoni70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A cable terminated T568A on both ends would be functionally the same as a cable terminated with T568B on both ends and both would be considered "straight-thru", not "cross-over."...only the 2 data pairs to pins 1/2 and 3/6 would be colored differently.

A cross-over (X-over) cable is terminated T568A on one end and T568B on the other which was needed to connect 2 computers...but that's somewhat dated since the development of "Auto MDI-X" Ethernet interfaces by Hewlett Packard over 15 years ago, IIRC. Most NIC's, switches and router sold today provide the Auto MDI-X function and so you can use either cable, straight-thru or cross-over, on any Ethernet device. :cool:
I agree with everything you said, and it's my mistake because in my previous post I forgot to say that a long time ago, a crossover cable was used for networking (connecting) only two computers with each other, i.e. on one end of the cable is standard 568A and on the other 568B.

Of course, now all the network cards in the devices have Auto MDI-X, so it is no longer necessary to worry about which standard it will be, whether 568A or 568B or crossed or straight cable.

But I kind of like to stick to the 568B standard and I connected and crimped my entire network and all LAN cables according to the 568B standard.:)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Every job I worked on with Prime Communications, we ran into existing 568B 95% of the time. There was one hospital in Waukesha where everything in the network closet I was working in was 568A.
One tech who was senior to me, said because of Auto MDI-X, I could concievably terminate every other cable a b a b a b and plug them into a switch and they'd work as long as cable was terminated with a coreesponding A or B termination on the other end.
But he said You'd really be pissing off any tech who needed to get in here and do some work.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But I kind of like to stick to the 568B standard and I connected and crimped my entire network and all LAN cables according to the 568B standard.:)
Yeah, T-568B is my personal favorite and I really appreciate most of the U.S. sticking with it as well, makes it easier on this old fart....:highfive: