NVR IP Assignment

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got a new NVR, setup the cameras to bench test them. Put one out in the field and although the calbes are hooked up, nothing is received on the NVR.

Thee other cameras are older and a different IP Address and password so out of luck there I think

My question, if I take that one new camera that has a 10.1.1.XX IP address and plug it into the router with a DHCP address of 192.168.1.XX will the camera switch over to the 192 address or is it "locked" at the 10.1.1.X address from the DVR? Only way to fix it would be to reset the camera?

Since I talked talk to the camera via the NVR, and I can't get to the camera physically without a ladder and some help, is there any way to factory reset the device via the cable? I can plug a laptop into the cable if I have to and set up the laptop ip for 10.1.1.X if I have to to get access if that would work.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's akin to "I have a car that won't start.....what could be the problem?" :cool:
That being said, a couple of questions for you:
  • Make and model of NVR?
  • Make and model of camera(s) ?

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's akin to "I have a car that won't start.....what could be the problem?" :cool:
That being said, a couple of questions for you:
  • Make and model of NVR?
  • Make and model of camera(s) ?
Empiretech NVR5232-16P-4KS2E

Cameras Make: EmpireTech / Model: IPC-T5442T-ZE

I know what my problem is, the NVR won't connect to the camera, so I'm thinking that its probably the cable from the NVR to the camera as that is the only thing that is different from my bench test...but just wondering if the NVR locks the IP Address of the camera

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Played around a little bit and I think I'll have to pull the camera down to reset it.

I guess I should have put it in bride mode so that I could set the IP Addresses and passwords manually....

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Read that quite extensively, is there a specific page or part of that I should focus on for my issue?

I used the first few posts to get it setup on my bench, and it worked well...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read that quite extensively, is there a specific page or part of that I should focus on for my issue?

I used the first few posts to get it setup on my bench, and it worked well...
Please re-state what your issue is.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
If the only difference between your bench test and now is that you hung it on a different cable…..

it’s still plugged into a PoE port and you didn’t change anything in the networking tab of the camera correct?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Empiretech NVR5232-16P-4KS2E

Cameras Make: EmpireTech / Model: IPC-T5442T-ZE

I know what my problem is, the NVR won't connect to the camera, so I'm thinking that its probably the cable from the NVR to the camera as that is the only thing that is different from my bench test...but just wondering if the NVR locks the IP Address of the camera
Yes, first thing to verify is the cable,

No the NVR didnt "lock" your cameras IP. You can plug that camera into any port of the NVR and it will assume a 10.1.1.x address on the NVR (each port assigns a different IP in the 10.1.1.x range)

But that isnt your problem. First you have to be able to see the camera connect to the NVR on the registration page. If you cant get that far, (and havent changed anything on the camera networking tab) then I would first suspect the cable

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, first thing to verify is the cable,

No the NVR didnt "lock" your cameras IP. You can plug that camera into any port of the NVR and it will assume a 10.1.1.x address on the NVR (each port assigns a different IP in the 10.1.1.x range)

But that isnt your problem. First you have to be able to see the camera connect to the NVR on the registration page. If you cant get that far, (and havent changed anything on the camera networking tab) then I would first suspect the cable
The "older" caemras I have are from an old NVR that gave out a 10.0.0.XX address, this new NVR gives out a 10.1.1.XX address. the old cameras are locked to the 10.0.0.XX address it seems, and the only way to get them to go back to a default address is to factory reset them. They are not Dahua cameras, they are IP Power and when I login to the camera web GUI I don't see a way to reset / change the password on the camera.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could concievably change the 10.x.x.x network number assigned to the internal NVR switch to your old "IP Power" cams10.0.0x , and see how things react.
I thought about that, but since I have already setup the "new" cameras on the 10.1.1.XX address range, I don't want to blow myself out of the water there.

If I did set it to 10.0.0.XX, don't I still need to factory reset them to pick up the new NVR password? Won't the cameras still be using the old password from the old NVR?

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One problem at a time.
First you need to get the new 5542 talking to the NVR.

No assurance that the older non Dahua cameras will assume an IP OR password from the NVR, they might, but might not
Ya, unfortunately the only way to know for sure would be to get someone around here to help go up on a ladder, take it down then test it with a known working good cable. That won't happen today, maybe tomorrow. I was hoping if I could get one of the old IPPower cameras to connect to the new NVR that i know is working that would be a good test so I know its not a configuration issue of the nvr

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So that shows the NVR sees them, and likely doesn’t know their passwords.
Which one is the 5442?

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So that shows the NVR sees them, and likely doesn’t know their passwords.
Which one is the 5442?
I'm not sure, since all of them are showing down, I've got a jumble of wires in the closet and when plugging in all of them none of them come up.

I plugged them all in on my bench, accessed each of them with the individual IP 10.1.1.XX and the password the new NVR set and was fine. I really think it might be the cable.

This post was really to find out if there was a way to reset the IPPower cameras without having to climb on a ladder and hard reset them

I hope to get these 5442s up tomorrow, so I'll report back when I've got them up to see what results I've got.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
If the cable is bad, and theres no connection to the camera, then the ladder is your only option on the 5442

As to the others, same problem, but I cant be assured they'll adopt the NVR password

The thing that doesnt make sense is you say they were all reachable (green indicator I assume?) on the bench. So they all had the correct password... and they're all getting an assigned IP from the NVR. So the red indicator would tell me the NVR doesnt recognize their passwords, or some problem with the cable...

So if you havent changed any passwords and they worked before, well....

The pencil icon allows you to tell the NVR the cameras login details. IT DOESNT CHANGE ANYTHING, it simply gives the NVR the correct creds of the camera so it knows how to communicate with them, so unless you changed anything here, this shouldnt apply
editcamera-credentials.jpg