NVR Help

FLGator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure this is the right forum.

I am buying 2 of Andys 5442 cameras with the varifocal lens, I will be buying 6 more 5442 cameras similar but I do not need the varifocal so maybe the T5442TM-AS. I need an NVR and application my wife can use, NOT TECHNICAL at all and will not use if difficult, she wants to open an app and see the cameras on her phone. We have Ring now so that is the ease of use she wants.

What NVR would be the best for 8 cameras, 2 5442s and 6 simple stationary cameras? Want to stay in the budget of no more than 300 for an NVR. Now I do have Blue Iris but have never used it as it seems complicated and not sure the phone app is what I am needing. Ring sends an alert when motion is detected and shows a thumbnail and you can click on it to see the video.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure this is the right forum.

I am buying 2 of Andys 5442 cameras with the varifocal lens, I will be buying 6 more 5442 cameras similar but I do not need the varifocal so maybe the T5442TM-AS. I need an NVR and application my wife can use, NOT TECHNICAL at all and will not use if difficult, she wants to open an app and see the cameras on her phone. We have Ring now so that is the ease of use she wants.

What NVR would be the best for 8 cameras, 2 5442s and 6 simple stationary cameras? Want to stay in the budget of no more than 300 for an NVR. Now I do have Blue Iris but have never used it as it seems complicated and not sure the phone app is what I am needing. Ring sends an alert when motion is detected and shows a thumbnail and you can click on it to see the video.
Hi @FLGator

Sometimes worth keeping a few cloud cameras even if you setup a IP PoE system ..

In terms of NVR .. I think most of the members really prefer the Blue Iris route .. as it gives you a lot of good options .. drop by the Blue Iris thread and see what they are using for a mobile application and if it will work with your wife's phone ..

I know many like TinyCam Pro .. however iirc that is only on Android

FLGator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @FLGator

Sometimes worth keeping a few cloud cameras even if you setup a IP PoE system ..

In terms of NVR .. I think most of the members really prefer the Blue Iris route .. as it gives you a lot of good options .. drop by the Blue Iris thread and see what they are using for a mobile application and if it will work with your wife's phone ..

I know many like TinyCam Pro .. however iirc that is only on Android

Thank you

FLGator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I try to avoid the NVR vs. Blue Iris debates, but if you do get an NVR, go for one with 16 channels. Then you have to decide built-in POE switch vs. external switch, which just gets you to the next semi-religious debate. :)
I have Lorex 16 channel and I have a 16 port PoE switch which is not necessary but I bought it when I was going to do the BI setup. I just want things easy on the wife if I am gone, say a camera or cameras don't work, what does she do, just reboot the BI workstation, with the NVR, she knows to restart that. And with Ring, well that's a no brainer, flip the light switchs and then back on to reset the cameras.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I try to avoid the NVR vs. Blue Iris debates, but if you do get an NVR, go for one with 16 channels. Then you have to decide built-in POE switch vs. external switch, which just gets you to the next semi-religious debate. :)

Actually if you purchase an NVR with its own built in PoE ports, you can also use it without them and an external switch. Very versatile.
The units with built in PoE make setup and security a bit easier.

I recommend this one
NVR5216/5232-16P-4KS2E

Yes its 16 channels but you will find A) cameras tend to multiply and B) the added horespower under the hood can come in handy as you look at 4K cameras etc. Very little difference in cost vs the 8 channel

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I feel like I'm one of the few NVR users around here. I previously used an inexpensive Dahua DHI-NVR2116-I with 10 cameras and was VERY satisfied. But I recently moved and installed a used Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2 that I purchased from another forum member. Although the new house is smaller, I'm now running 12 Dahua IVS cameras and plan to add a couple more. So I can confirm that those comments about allowing for system expansion are golden suggestions.

My Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2 is not as trouble free as the cheaper NVR2116-I I used to run. Sometimes the 5216 needs a reboot to restore a dropped/missing camera or eliminate random sluggish operation. Might be due to its older age (POE supply perhaps) or maybe it's related to the camera choices. But overall it is functional and serves its purpose.

BTW, my wife can use the desktop interface and watch events. There's a dedicated HD TV in an adjacent utility room for that. And the Dahua Android app is good enough for us too. Maybe one day I will switch to BI, but for now the NVR solution is fine.

If you decide to use an NVR then pay attention to the bandwidth specs. If you choose the NVR5216-16P-4KS2 then you can be assured it has the horsepower for a typical home installation.

- Thomas

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
LOL you're not alone. There are LOTS of NVR users here.

I wont get started but most have no idea what newer high end NVRs can do. Many buy entry level cheapest they can find NVR models and are surpised when they cant run a dozen 4K cameras, a PTZ and power 3 big TVs. Theres a difference between a $99 NVR and a $450 NVR

BI isnt really any different. If you buy a cheap underpowered PC and only learn/use a small portion of its functionality.

I have 2 of the 5216-16P-4KS2s and help manage 3 others, They just work. I hardly ever mess with them as most controls should be set on the camera itself anyway.

Firepeet

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually if you purchase an NVR with its own built in PoE ports, you can also use it without them and an external switch. Very versatile.
The units with built in PoE make setup and security a bit easier.

I recommend this one
NVR5216/5232-16P-4KS2E

Yes its 16 channels but you will find A) cameras tend to multiply and B) the added horespower under the hood can come in handy as you look at 4K cameras etc. Very little difference in cost vs the 8 channel
Why not recommend the new one NVR5216-16P-EI ?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Its fine also. A smidge more incoming bandwidth, (384 vs 320 Mbps) and NVR AI. But when you enable NVR AI the EI drops to max 200Mbps bandwidth. With most new cameras doing their own AI, I dont see that big need. The new EI will do 32MP cameras in theory where the older 4KS2 only does up to 12MB so theres that. I think there's still a big price difference.

Both are good solid NVRs

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I feel like I'm one of the few NVR users around here.
I suspect there are quite a few. We're sometimes afraid to come out of the closet. There's a thread going right now asking why anybody would bother with an NVR over BI. I don't bother with these threads any more as they degrade into a figurative food fight (although the one I mentioned hasn't...yet).
Sometimes the 5216 needs a reboot to restore a dropped/missing camera or eliminate random sluggish operation.
Mine (without POE switch) is 5+ years old and has been super reliable. Over these years it has rebooted itself twice that I'm aware of and I have never had to force a reboot. The only significant problem is that sometimes camera events don't get recognized and I have to delete and re-add the camera. Happens once or twice a year.

SgtMike

n3wb
Reaction score
Why not recommend the new one NVR5216-16P-EI ?
Its fine also. A smidge more incoming bandwidth, (384 vs 320 Mbps) and NVR AI. But when you enable NVR AI the EI drops to max 200Mbps bandwidth. With most new cameras doing their own AI, I dont see that big need. The new EI will do 32MP cameras in theory where the older 4KS2 only does up to 12MB so theres that. I think there's still a big price difference.

Both are good solid NVRs
For the difference of ~$50 would it be worth going with the EI over the 4KS2? Planning to run 3 of the 4K-T180s to replace my awful Arlos. Very similar needs to OP, wife will want to receive alerts/access via her iPhone.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice
It may be a bit overkill for my 8 cameras at home but hey, I’ll take one for the team and test it for ya :rofl:

Arn0

n3wb
Reaction score
I see that you're recommending nvr5216-16p-4ks2e.

Is this nvr5216-16p-4ks2e DVR able to run the latest firmware, to have the arming / desarming functionality? Does someone own it here to confirm ?

Thanks