NVR for Dahua IP Cameras - Recommendation

tb10818

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have blueiris with a few cameras for my business, but feel like an NVR would be better suited for at home use. I don't know a single thing about NVRs and am wondering what a good recommendation would be for one that is only to be used with dahua cameras? I have two PTZ cams and would like to add 2 varifocals in the future, so I don't need a ton of expandability. One I'm looking at is the DHI-HCVR5104HS-S3. I can get it for $59 USD shipped. I'm told it supports up to 6 IP cameras (not directly plugged in, I'm assuming, but through the network?). Thanks!!

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you're using Dahua cameras then stick with this brand for the NVR. I don't know much about these, but go for a large channel one.
I know you think it'll only be four cameras for now, but you don't want to get down the line and want to add another, with this you will not be able to.

tb10818

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great, thanks guys! I'll look at that model nayr and keep that in mind Ralph

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have blueiris with a few cameras for my business, but feel like an NVR would be better suited for at home use. I don't know a single thing about NVRs and am wondering what a good recommendation would be for one that is only to be used with dahua cameras? I have two PTZ cams and would like to add 2 varifocals in the future, so I don't need a ton of expandability. One I'm looking at is the DHI-HCVR5104HS-S3. I can get it for $59 USD shipped. I'm told it supports up to 6 IP cameras (not directly plugged in, I'm assuming, but through the network?). Thanks!!
I might agree with Fenderman on that. If you already know Blue iris, why switch? The Dahua NVR I have has a steep learning curve, struggling just to get it to send snapshots with emails. The manual explains in translated English what each menu item does, but not necessarily the setting to make it work.

tb10818

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't really care to have most, if any, of the features of BI for home use. For the most part all I'm interested in is recording and remote access. I've spent plenty of time with convoluted software so I'm not too worried about that.

@nayr what's the difference between your suggestion and the 4108-P-4KS2? Besides the plastic build and price difference.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1 disk and limit of 8 cameras, no external Alarm IO, 80Mbps of bandwidth vs 320Mbps of Bandwidth, No 4K video Support

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am all over the place in upgrading our Analog Dahua DVR at work. I currently only have 14 channels in use, however could easily add another 5-6. My thought at first was a Tribrid and keep the analog camera and upgrade to CVI as they go bad and add a few new IP cameras. Then I started looking at something like the HCVR8208/16A-S3 and upgrading the cameras on the current coax to the HDCVI and having a lot of flexibility for adding IP cameras as I find a need to. I am thinking 4K NVR's are out of the question as long as I plan on still using the coax run cameras. Too many choices!

Now at my home I have a full iP network NVR with about 10 cameras with 2 of those being remotely beamed back to the house via ubnt. I was looking at upgrading that NVR non POE to a newer NVR or 4K non POE model to take advantage of some of the IVS gadgets or adding a few 4k cameras.

@tb10818 Nice cow! Is that a Holstein?

Deali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have two PTZ cams and would like to add 2 varifocals in the future
You can use many NVR´s to get pictures and records but if you already have PTZ and variofocals then stay with the vendor.
At least support can´t say: it is their problem.
In the company: throw out this Analog stuff. I would not mix different strategys. Take IP, but if you think CVI is nice, ok. But do not mix them. Otherwhile you will ask questions on a daily basis.

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The only reason I would stick with the CVi is because the coax is already run and in some very hard to get to places so not really an option to replace it with all Cat5/6. I think anything I add I'd do ip because I have some network switches already in place that I could run off of to camera w/o having to run cable alll the way back to NVR.

Deali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bret_FL
just yesterday i replaced Cat5e with Cat6 on one side of my house. I thought the shorter wires where ok, but replaced all of them. And i found out that one wire to the very far cam had brocken wires. I powercycled the cam very often, but it never helped realy. I installed a new Cat6 and now i am waiting for my new Dahua Starlight.
On the Network switches, i had 2 8Port for 8 cams. Very fine, you only have 7Ports because of connecting the switches. Then i have a Dahua 4832 which has 2 Gbit interfaces, So 2 ports more are gone. I cofigured the Ports to Load Balance.
Finaly it did not work as i expected. I throw out the two 8port and installed a 24Port Netgear Switch. Since then it is mutch more stable.
So i can recomment to erveryone, if get more equipment, chane also parts you think they will do the service as expected.

Last edited:

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have all CAT6 at my house but at work it's all coax and some rather long runs. I just don't have the man power or time to replace all the coax with cat6. A few of the runs would not be hard but some are.
Iv'e been looking at the HCVR8208/16A-S3

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I can see why many are recommending others to go with an NVR with more than 8-channels. Reason being, its unpredictable as to if you ever want to expand your surveillance arsenal, setup live streams to keep a tabs on wild animals (pun intended), as well as if you're relocating o a bigger location. The options the better--makes your system absolutely versatile and flexible to manage.

I was going to start off with an 8-channel, but the idea was quickly antagonized (in a good way) by a known member on this forum; was not expecting to start off with 16-channel, but I am now, and it should be a long-lasting relationship especially since its future-proofed. :D

Reaction score
I can see why many are recommending others to go with an NVR with more than 8-channels. Reason being, its unpredictable as to if you ever want to expand your surveillance arsenal, setup live streams to keep a tabs on wild animals (pun intended), as well as if you're relocating o a bigger location. The options the better--makes your system absolutely versatile and flexible to manage.

I was going to start off with an 8-channel, but the idea was quickly antagonized (in a good way) by a known member on this forum; was not expecting to start off with 16-channel, but I am now, and it should be a long-lasting relationship especially since its future-proofed. :D
Just as an FYI - Empire Tech is now showing as available, the Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 without POE ports. It shows as 10 available, so whoever wants one, better hurry.

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just as an FYI - Empire Tech is now showing as available, the Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 without POE ports. It shows as 10 available, so whoever wants one, better hurry.
Nice. Tempted.

Does this NVR have the IVS functions?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice. Tempted.

Does this NVR have the IVS functions?
It does, but this is more a function of software in the camera itself. There have been reports of issues with setting IVS rules via the NVR. It's always best to do it in the camera itself. Which is one of the bigger reasons to go with an external POE/POE+ switch. It allows access to the camer via the network, to set up IVS. You don't need to go through the NVR.

tb10818

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Bret_FL Yea thats a Holstein.. I think lol

So I ended up updating one of my old computers to an i7 and am going to use blueiris instead. I was planning on going the nvr route for simplicity, but realized I don't have any computers powerful enough to edit the 4k video from my new fdr-ax53 video camera.. Essentially, I'm killing two birds with one stone.

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It does, but this is more a function of software in the camera itself. There have been reports of issues with setting IVS rules via the NVR. It's always best to do it in the camera itself. Which is one of the bigger reasons to go with an external POE/POE+ switch. It allows access to the camer via the network, to set up IVS. You don't need to go through the NVR.
That's great, now if I can just figure out a way to draw my rules using a Mac.

@Bret_FL Yea thats a Holstein.. I think lol

Own a dairy in FL. milking many Holsteins. lol

tb10818

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nice, how many? Hangin in there with the lousy milk prices and hot weather? I work on my families dairy as 'the tech guy' among other titles