Nvr feet away from monitor

Jramosent

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can anybody suggest a way to view my Hikvision nvr that I have in my closet, to a monitor where I have my desktop ? I tried vga to ethernet but the quality is blurry . I would want to be able to control the nvr as well if possible. I know remote access is always an option but I don't want to use my older pc to view the cams.

- - - Updated - - -

The nvr and monitor are in opposite ends in my office about 15 feet

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anybody suggest a way to view my Hikvision nvr that I have in my closet, to a monitor where I have my desktop ? I tried vga to ethernet but the quality is blurry . I would want to be able to control the nvr as well if possible. I know remote access is always an option but I don't want to use my older pc to view the cams.

- - - Updated - - -

The nvr and monitor are in opposite ends in my office about 15 feet
hdmi cable.

Jramosent

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If I go HDMI from nvr to dvi before the monitor will I lose some quality?

Jramosent

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got it. Any HDMI cable and converter will work? Price difference between them all makes me second think my options

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for 15ft, yeah pretty much any decent cable/adapter should work fine.. they are cheap, I got a pair of 35ft Amazon Branded cables a few months back and they work great for my playstation3 and 4, think I paid $30 for the pair.

when you start trying for really long cables (>=50ft), you want to buy quality because HDMI does not do distance well..

Last edited by a moderator:

Jramosent

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now for the second quest. Being able to control the NVR with the mouse?

- - - Updated - - -

If I buy the 50ft HDMI cable and run it through the attic down to where the monitor is would this not be good picture wise?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Now for the second quest. Being able to control the NVR with the mouse?

- - - Updated - - -

If I buy the 50ft HDMI cable and run it through the attic down to where the monitor is would this not be good picture wise?
I believe 50 feet is beyond the spec and while the do sell 50f cables, if the source is not strong enough it wont work. Pretty good chance it wont work at that distance. Test it for a few days before running it.

Jramosent

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok I will try the 35ft. Now that I have you here anyway you can help me with push notifications. I can't seem to get them to work

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use a wireless mouse (trackball) with the receiver dongle on the end of a short usb extension cable.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After a series of lacking video quality/problems/random quirks/random sound drop-offs/screen flickering using multiple hdmi-over-ethernet converters over brand-new cat6e in one of our high-ceiling classrooms, we opted for some straight HDMI runs using RedMere HDMI cables. I used these exact ones @ 75 ft. This link in particular is for a 50 footer.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9172

They work great. No issues. The teacher is beyond happy, and the tech guy (yep) is even happier.

Just note these are directional (one end is meant for source, one end is meant for destination).

Just an idea.