NVR Camera Ports

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
1- I didnt day the NVR interface cant be trusted or that there was any resulting problem, I simply said its clunky and IMHO not as user friendly compared to the web interface

2- yes if you wish to use the output of the NVR for viewing, of course. Again that has nothing to do with what I said as I was talking about setup and system management inside the NVR machine interface

3- Software of the NVR must have gotten a lot better if changing the camera's IP addresses around and setting unique passwords per camera doesn't muck things up
Reading comprehension problem. I DO NOT advise changing IPs and passwords, quite the opposite. This is for a first time user install using a PoE NVR
It Says: The Login and Password for each camera will be identical and the same as your NVR. Dont F$@K with them! (assuming new cameras plugged into a PoE NVR)

4- A monitor connected to the NVR for live view and playback works just fine.
Yes it does. In my opinion SmartPSS and the Web interface are vastly superior. Coke or Pepsi, Chevy or Ford. To each his own

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reading comprehension problem.
I DO NOT advise changing IPs and passwords, quite the opposite. This is for a first time user install using a PoE NVR
It Says: The Login and Password for each camera will be identical and the same as your NVR. Dont F$@K with them! (assuming new cameras plugged into a PoE NVR)
Yes, I agree this is aimed at a first time user.

However, the use of curse words is leading me (the reader) to sense that you have a strong opinion this will result in an issue.
Words surrounding information give the reader an idea what your opinion is and how strongly you feel about it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Point taken. Its from 6 years of answering the same questions over and over after they're so deep in a hole its easier to just start over, because there was no PSA type info to guide them on that initial setup. If we get them started by doing basic setup without making a mess of things, and not chasing squirrels with every button they see, more advanced and nuanced functions and preferences become easier to deal with later. So yeah, its a self defense mechanism :rofl:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Point taken. Its from 6 years of answering the same questions over and over after they're so deep in a hole its easier to just start over, because there was no PSA type info to guide them on that initial setup. If we get them started by doing basic setup without making a mess of things, and not chasing squirrels with every button they see, more advanced and nuanced functions and preferences become easier to deal with later. So yeah, its a self defense mechanism :rofl:
You mean like the other thread you are trying to help out in now lol....watch it end up being it was bench tested and assigned ports and IPs and now not finding after plugging unto different ports...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeahbut with new Dahua cams and a 5216 P running the 4.0 UI, I can swap PoE ports with no problem, it picks up the new port number, unless you've messed with the networking settings... I cant know what non-Dahua cams will do though

Trouttuber

n3wb
Reaction score
1- I didnt day the NVR interface cant be trusted or that there was any resulting problem, I simply said its clunky and IMHO not as user friendly compared to the web interface

2- yes if you wish to use the output of the NVR for viewing, of course. Again that has nothing to do with what I said as I was talking about setup and system management inside the NVR machine interface

3- Software of the NVR must have gotten a lot better if changing the camera's IP addresses around and setting unique passwords per camera doesn't muck things up
Reading comprehension problem. I DO NOT advise changing IPs and passwords, quite the opposite. This is for a first time user install using a PoE NVR

4- A monitor connected to the NVR for live view and playback works just fine.
Yes it does. In my opinion SmartPSS and the Web interface are vastly superior. Coke or Pepsi, Chevy or Ford. To each his own
Personally, I'm fine with what you and wittaj have to say. I'm am a newbie to this stuff and just looking at getting into the security camera thing for family protection. I've been meaning to this for a while, but honestly, i'm not a big tech savvy person and I get sketchy when doing stuff like this afraid I'm going to screw things up and it'll be money out the window. I was just about to pull the trigger on some Reolink cams, but happened to stumble onto this site somehow, and glad I did. As stated so many times, what good are cams that look great in daylight, but not good at night when most crime happens, and to not have useable footage with workable information afterwards is useless. Unfortunately, most don't realize this until "the afterwards" and I was on my way to being one of those. I would have been pissed to say the least. As stated, buy once, cry once. As it is I'm getting information overload from all the info so just need to dial back a bit, get a 5442-ez or two for setup and learning then go from there.

So, I totally understood, and appreciate, your wording and the undertone. It was loud, clear and understood and I'm the type that needs that. Hopefully, it will also help me to not screw things up. At first anyway lol. Especially since I'm not versed at the fixing part. Thanks again for all you guys do for this site.

Last edited:

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Kind of a tangent, but how did you mount the NVR? Would love to put it on the wall, but the only points I see are used by the HDD's screws....
You'll have to get creative if you need wall mounting. I wall mounted my NVR5216-16P in a coat closet using some DiY brackets (3D printed, ABS plastic). The brackets are at each corner and only screw into the wall (the NVR is not modified).

BTW, the NVR is normally hidden behind jackets. There's a noisy server rack nearby, so a bad guy is unlikely to hear the NVR's fan noise. Overall a stealthy location.

- Thomas

NVR_Mtg1.jpgSecurityCloset1.jpg

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'll have to get creative if you need wall mounting. I wall mounted my NVR5216-16P in a coat closet using some DiY brackets (3D printed, ABS plastic). The brackets are at each corner and only screw into the wall (the NVR is not modified).

BTW, the NVR is normally hidden behind jackets. There's a noisy server rack nearby, so a bad guy is unlikely to hear the NVR's fan noise. Overall a stealthy location.

- Thomas

View attachment 160232View attachment 160233
That is a very cool setup. I knew I should have kept my 3d Printer :)