NVR Camera Ports

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Getting a new NVR and 8 cameras and I've read this: ***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch

Curious to know if I plug in camera one into port one, is it always assigned port one from then on out? Or does the port number change as I swap cameras into different ports?

Getting an EmpireTech NVR5232-16P-4KS2E with ET 5442 turret cameras...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It populates to that port...usually.

People have messed up the system and had to factory reset because they plugged cameras in and then moved them around and didn't plug into the same port.

So best practice is to label the camera to the correct port you first tried it with.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It populates to that port...usually.

People have messed up the system and had to factory reset because they plugged cameras in and then moved them around and didn't plug into the same port.

So best practice is to label the camera to the correct port you first tried it with.
OK, so the port it is first plugged into is remembered, even if I plug camera one into port one, then swap it to port 6, it will still show up as port one on the NVR. That's going to make installation a lot more fun :)

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Get a cheap POE switch, set every thing up on your "test bench".

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or the camera doesn't show up AT ALL as it was initialized and assigned a port. So then you plug 8 cameras in and you get black screens. You can try swapping cable ports but that usually doesn't work. At that point the easiest remedy is to factory reset and start over lol.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Or the camera doesn't show up AT ALL as it was initialized and assigned a port. So then you plug 8 cameras in and you get black screens. You can try swapping cable ports but that usually doesn't work. At that point the easiest remedy is to factory reset and start over lol.
Hoping that doesn't happen...

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, as an update, I got my NVR today and plugged things in. Turns out the port seems to assign the IP Address, I can swap camera 1 and 3 in ports 3 and 1 respectively and whatever was showing as camera 1 in port one shows as camera 3 in port three. So the camera doesn't seem to have any memory besides a name you give it of what it is, its only based on the port its plugged into which makes things a lot easier...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Correct

I have the same model NVR 16 channel and yes you can swap ports with no problem. Assuming you haven’t manually messed with the network settings on the camera, it will assume the IP of the port it’s plugged into with no problem.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I grew incredibly frustrated with how my Dahua NVR assigned the cameras. Turned off plug and play, turned on bridge mode and assigned my own static IPs.

Also, I'm using some POE multiplexers which weren't accepted by the NVR.

My solved thread is here.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Correct

I have the same model NVR 16 channel and yes you can swap ports with no problem. Assuming you haven’t manually messed with the network settings on the camera, it will assume the IP of the port it’s plugged into with no problem.
Kind of a tangent, but how did you mount the NVR? Would love to put it on the wall, but the only points I see are used by the HDD's screws....

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I grew incredibly frustrated with how my Dahua NVR assigned the cameras. Turned off plug and play, turned on bridge mode and assigned my own static IPs.

Also, I'm using some POE multiplexers which weren't accepted by the NVR.

My solved thread is here.
How does putting the NVR into bridge mode help? I read your thread but don't really understand why it would matter? Are you saying that if you assign the IP Address per camera then the port on the NVR doesn't matter?

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
How does putting the NVR into bridge mode help? I read your thread but don't really understand why it would matter? Are you saying that if you assign the IP Address per camera then the port on the NVR doesn't matter?
Exactly. I prefer to assign my cameras starting with 10.1.1.11 upwards for my own OCD reasons.

And it also removed the POE symbol in the viewer.

Just a preference.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Getting a new NVR and 8 cameras and I've read this: ***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch
Curious to know if I plug in camera one into port one, is it always assigned port one from then on out? Or does the port number change as I swap cameras into different ports?
I think that thread is out of date.
I haven't had any issues of cameras behaving weird or bricking on both a basic Dahua NVR with build software build date in 2017 and a modern NVR5x-I.

For a Dahua origin camera:
The NVR uses the built-in switch's ethernet port number as the channel it assigns that camera to.
The NVR gives a new IP cam the same username/password as the NVR's admin password.

If the IP cam has a password already set, the channel is taken by that IP camera plugged in but a message will display saying "Login timeout".
If the IP cam disconnects, the NVR goes back to showing the 'Dahua logo' on that channel. As if nothing was connected there.

Dahua API document mentions there is a way to change camera channels without switching physical ports on the NVR.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Kind of a tangent, but how did you mount the NVR? Would love to put it on the wall, but the only points I see are used by the HDD's screws....
I have mine (Dahua 4216) mounted to a wall. There's some small holes that run down the middle. Three anchors with screws and done.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I think that thread is out of date.
I haven't had any issues of cameras behaving weird or bricking on both a basic Dahua NVR with build software build date in 2017 and a modern NVR5x-I.

For a Dahua origin camera:
The NVR uses the built-in switch's ethernet port number as the channel it assigns that camera to.
The NVR gives a new IP cam the same username/password as the NVR's admin password.

If the IP cam has a password already set, the channel is taken by that IP camera plugged in but a message will display saying "Login timeout".
If the IP cam disconnects, the NVR goes back to showing the 'Dahua logo' on that channel. As if nothing was connected there.

Dahua API document mentions there is a way to change camera channels without switching physical ports on the NVR.

No it’s still correct. Same as what you posted

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No it’s still correct. Same as what you posted
Unnecessary scare to mention that the NVR's interface cannot be trusted.
It's this line:
Then disconnect from the NVR and never go back to that machine interface. Dont try and make any other setting changes here. You can change it all later in the Web interface.
I setup between the web interface and NVR interface just fine.
Sometimes evening adding the camera by the NVR interface then filling in the password via the web interface.
I control my NVR's local screen via a mouse as well as an NKB1000.

2- Plug in your cameras to the NVR. Dont do anything else. ...., dont go clicking on buttons and shit when you dont know what youre doing, It WILL F$@k things up.

The Login and Password for each camera will be identical and the same as your NVR. Dont F$@K with them!
Software of the NVR must have gotten a lot better if changing the camera's IP addresses around and setting unique passwords per camera doesn't muck things up :).
My NVR5x-I remembers all the passwords fine after a reboot.
Aside from Dahua cameras connected, there's Axis and a cheap XMeye one.

3- don’t use the NVR for live view as it’s inadequate even when it works. Use SmartPSS for live view, playback, and pulling footage.*
A monitor connected to the NVR for live view and playback works just fine.
NKB1000 via Ethernet across networks has an unnoticeable amount of lag when switching views and using PTZ.

I prefer playing back footage via the NVR as that does a better job at syncing multiple cameras and fast-forward works to 16x.
With the NKB1000, moving the joystick up/down in single channel playback changes camera views. All cameras keep in sync as you switch views playing back.
SmartPSS is still much easier than pulling via USB or web interface of the NVR.

That's my opinions on your post...
I suppose an older and cheaper NVR has problems compared to the new versions.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just because you haven't had an issue by setting stuff in the NVR doesn't mean the potential doesn't exist.

Just like some people can make changes to the settings in other browsers while others can't.

Some cameras are more finicky as well. My neighbor with a brand new Dahua OEM NVR was losing his PTZ settings by doing it within the NVR.

People speed every day and never get a ticket, but it doesn't mean the potential doesn't exist lol

Even Dahua says best practice is to set it up within the camera. They wouldn't provide the ability to access the camera GUI thru the NVR GUI if it were an issue.

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just because you haven't had an issue by setting stuff in the NVR doesn't mean the potential doesn't exist.
People speed every day and never get a ticket, but it doesn't mean the potential doesn't exist lol
Sure, anything has any potential to have a problem.
I'm basing my experience on my current NVR5x-I and the previous NVR4x running interface v3. Both didn't have issues using them through the local interface.

You can highlight that there could be an issue, but using strong language stating it is a certain issue is why I think that post is out of date.