NVR behind firewall with DDNS

NVRGVUP

n3wb
Reaction score
So, I have a problem that I just can't wrap my head around at the moment. I have cameras with an NVR in an office building that has a strict firewall policy. I have set up my NVR behind a "small" PC running teamviewer to get through the firewall issue and it lets me through without an issue. The problem is that the PC is extremely slow (old mini xp) The NVR is capable of using DDNS but for that I think I need the IP address and for them to forward a port so I can get directly into NVR (they will not)

I can go out from pc's to internet without issue and the "small" pc running teamviewer allows me in but when I run NVR service through that pc it is painfully slow. I know if I can go directly into NVR it would bypass that pc and would be much faster.

Any / all ideas appreciated.

Before you ask, pc and NVR are in a small steel box for security and that's why I can't use standard desktop. It's located in an electrical room and not accessed from any other pc on network.

Peter

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have cameras with an NVR in an office building that has a strict firewall policy.
I think it will be likely that with a business ISP you will already have a fixed IP address, so a dynamic DNS will probably not be needed.

The problem is that the PC is extremely slow (old mini xp)
Could it just be that the PC is underpowered for the task? Or spent too long running XP and needing a fresh install to perk it up?
When it's running, you should be able to check how it's doing resource-wise, even if the WinXP task manager is the only think available.
Look out for CPU utilisation, RAM consumption and use of HDD swap space as indications of over-utilisation of available resources.

NVRGVUP

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, it's definitely under powered, that's why i'm trying to bypass it by going directly into NVR. Yes company has fixed IP but due to firewall rules I can go out to internet but not in (except teamviewer to pc) than from pc access NVR.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
does company have a VPN Service already running? you probably dont need to do anything with the firewall.. just VPN to the network and there you go, company was smarter than you to resist you opening ports.

NVRGVUP

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have access to firewall and they will not give me access (stupid reasoning) that's why I use Teamviewer to get into pc.