NVR and ups

Opeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi to all
I want some help with the ups im trying to install and if anyone using ups for his cctv please help to understand what im doing. My local saleman has this ups attached to the picture and this specs.
  • Type: Line Interactive
  • Waveform: Simulated Sine Wave
  • Output VA: 700VA
  • Output Watts: 390W
  • Outlet Type: IEC C13
  • Outlet Number: 6
  • Surge Protected: Yes
  • LCD Display: Yes
  • USB/RS232: Yes
  • Management Software: Power Panel Personal
  • RJ11/RJ45 Protection: Yes
  • Overload Protection: Circuit Breaker
  • Energy Saving: Yes
I Only connect the nvr to ups and router? And what about the ethernet ports? It has in and out. Im guessing from router in and from ups out to nvr?

Attachments

ShadowFox

n3wb
Reaction score
Connect anything you want to remain running if there is a power outage, but the more you connect, the less up time this device will be able to support. The NVR for sure. If you are using an external POE switch for your cameras, that as well. If you want to try and keep remote connectivity during a power outage, connect your modem and router as well. Just because your power goes out, doesn't necessarily mean that you internet is down.

The ethernet ports are going to be surge protection. So if you connect your router's Ethernet out to this UPS, then run an ethernet cable from the UPS to your NVR, it should in theory keep a surge going through your ethernet cable from frying your NVR. There may be a better use for it, but ill let someone else chime in on that.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I will add on to what @ShadowFox has offered in no specific order of importance or relevance:

- Run Time: A UPS must be sized to the expected run time you want based on the load (wattage consumed) by the equipment. If you see very rare power outages say under 30 minutes. There are lots of selections to choose from but if you want X hours you are going to pay a lot more.

- Power: The utility supplies your home a pure sine wave output. Cheaper UPS use modified (simulated) sine wave vs pure sine wave. Depending upon the hardware many electronics operate just fine using PWM power. Whereas others require a pure sine wave output to run correctly. You can never go wrong using a pure sine wave UPS vs PWM. Many electronics will over heat, fault out, or run erratically when on PWM power.

- Online vs Line Interactive: Line interactive UPS offer loser (wider voltage) control vs On Line where the system uses double conversion. Depending upon the maker line interactive can swing from 8-15% in line voltage. Whereas a online offers 2-3% of line voltage similar to the utility hence why they are more expansive.

- Transfer Time: Line interactive UPS also have a momentary cut in. Meaning the UPS will take time to transfer from utility to back up battery power. Again, depending upon brand and model this short delay can cause a system to freeze, reboot, shut down. In most cases generally speaking this isn't an issue but if in doubt a online UPS doesn't have this problem because its always online.

- Surge Protection: Line interactive UPS provide less protection with respect to surge protection vs their online counterparts. Because the dual transformers isolate the entire system from the grid.

Regardless of the above one thing you should always follow is the recommended battery replacement interval. Batteries are consumables and even sitting idle doing nothing will degrade. Depending upon the brand and type of cell used 5 years is the mean average for sealed cells. If the system is used often that life cycle can be 1-3 years of service life.

Lastly, always test and validate the UPS system can provide the expected run time once a year. In a Enterprise environment this is done once a month by literally pulling the plug from the outlet. Don't count on the software or some kind of internal timer indicating its good to go. This also high lights the importance of seeing if the UPS will come back on once utility power is back on line.

The distinction is NOT (IF) it will operate but (IF) it will turn back on (Last known state) while the battery is fully depleted. The market has dozens of UPS where the system will not turn back on until the battery is near full. That isn't helpful when you're not close to the UPS to remediate that problem! :facepalm:

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I would skip that, and buy something that will last. Anything from Eaton or Emerson, APC SMT, SMX, SRT line

Those cheap Cyberpower UPS's have a MAJOR flaw in that when the battery in the unit wears out and can't support the load, the UPS will turn off power output! This makes no sense as the battery is only ever being used when there is no acceptable input power, so there is ZERO reason to turn off the output. The batteries are not hot swappable like the above unit I mentioned, and they of course will need replacing within 2-6 years so you certainly will be having power outages caused by the UPS at some point

It also doesn't warn you first, it just drops the load. Awesome!

Cyberpower state this for safety, which makes no sense as when the unit shuts off the output, it still tries to charge the batteries, making the situation not safe at all

Here is a demo. In this video I simply click self-test, which it will do on its own every week or so. Note how it even says everything is fine when it comes back :rofl:. The UPS was plugged into the wall the whole time

Utterly useless as a UPS, these units have caused more outages than utility outages in my experience

Last edited: