NVR and networking troubles

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks, i need to start from scratch with a new cable modem (docsis 3.1 32x8) , router (no clue what to get) , switch(i have a 16port unmananged netgear) , thinking ubiquity but dont want to buy unnecessary equipment. the nvr is brand new from andy, latest 4.0 firmware and cams are all dahua from andy with the exception of one cam that's still dahua but from b&h. i'm still having ip issues, my router is one address, the wifi router is in the attic on a different ip, the nvr won't open the live view, i donteven know how to change the camera password unless i reset the cam to factory default. does the pencil on the nvr camera registration page modify the camera password or is that only so you can get into the cam? you said when you plug a cam into the nvr it changes the camera password to the nvr password but i didnt' find this to be true. if i click the pencil and change the password to the nvr password i still can't get a live view, it just spins. so many issues, its frustrating, i've been googling and watching videos and it's only more frustrating. i need to hire someone in austin to come over and look at my network. nothing is plug and play anymore.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
does the pencil on the nvr camera registration page modify the camera password or is that only so you can get into the cam?
It just allows login, does not modify

you said when you plug a cam into the nvr it changes the camera password to the nvr password but i didnt' find this to be true.
On a new camera or one factory defaulted I can assure you it assigns the NVR password to the camera. Recently installed 2 new PoE NVR's a 16 and a 32 with 40 total cameras and each and every one adopted the NVR password.

Because the "pencil" on the NVR registration page wont change the camera password. Thats simply a login

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
noted, how do you factory reset a camera thru the nvr interface? i'm assuming only the camera gui will allow this. and when you factory reset, after you click default, do you disconnect the cam from the nvr, and wait a minute and plug it back in? when i'm in the camera gui and i click default, the page refreshes 192.168.1.108 and takes me to the nvr log in, that's why i changed the ip of the nvr to .200. right now i'm resettingmy wifi router, i disabled dhcp and nothing will connect, cable modem shows ip for router but can't talk to it directly, linksys has an app but it says it's not on even tho i'm connected to it via wifi, i have more issues than national geographic.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
noted, how do you factory reset a camera thru the nvr interface? i'm assuming only the camera gui will allow this. and when you factory reset, after you click default, do you disconnect the cam from the nvr, and wait a minute and plug it back in? when i'm in the camera gui and i click default, the page refreshes 192.168.1.108 and takes me to the nvr log in, that's why i changed the ip of the nvr to .200. right now i'm resettingmy wifi router, i disabled dhcp and nothing will connect, cable modem shows ip for router but can't talk to it directly, linksys has an app but it says it's not on even tho i'm connected to it via wifi, i have more issues than national geographic.

i'm assuming only the camera gui will allow this. and when you factory reset, after you click default, do you disconnect the cam from the nvr, and wait a minute and plug it back in?
Correct, or use the reset button on the camera, which Ive not done but others here have. Wait more than a minute, and you may needf to reboot the NVR if the camera dosnt show up in te lowere pane in a few minutes.

when i'm in the camera gui and i click default, the page refreshes 192.168.1.108 and takes me to the nvr log in
No, that is the default IP address of the camera. Unplug it, plug back into the NVR and the NVR will assign it a 10.1.1.x address in the bottom pane

Not sure what your network situation is, but if the NVR is on the same subnet the router is dealing out DHCP addresses for, say 192.1698.1.x (which is NOT the same as for instance 192.168.0.x) You set the NVR as a static IP and the router will (should) allow it that IP every time with the router using DHCP. Changing the NVR static IP to sometjing other than 192.168.1.108 will save lots of headaches, as it sounds like you've done.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thank you very much, these little bits of info go a long way, i've never been more depressed than the last few days. i'm reconfiguring a wifi router for the 5th time now hoping i can get my house back online. this network sucks, once this is solid then i'll introduce the nvr but i kinda need both. i want to install these new cams sitting in a box, let them all record to the nvr and work on the network but i'm chasing my tail with problems on both ends.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah one step at a time, verify it works, then the next. Im no network guru myself. So I'm extra cautious about not doing too many things at once.

You'll get there. Start make sure the router is DHCP and putting out dhcp addresses in the 192.168.1.x range which is default for many.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well i'm using a cable modem/router combo, the wifi is turned off and the ip is 192.168.1.1, dhcp is turned on. i have a cable running to the wifi router in the attic which also has a 192.168.1.1 default address so setup is a pain. i was told to turn off the dhcp on that one but when i do nothing works. there's also a bridge mode but wifi is only 10mpbs. i tried plugging it into a switch which is plugged into the back of the cable modem combo but that doesnt change anything. i changed the ip of the wifi router to 192.168.1.2 and that seems to help, but i still cannot log in directly to the router via ethernet, keeps saying page cannot be displayed. time for dinner.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ok so an hour later NOTHING happened. so i clicked device search and the camera appeared on the top line, i sat and waited for about 10 minutes and it magically moved to the bottom row. is this normal?? like watching paint dry, which i did yesterday after building these closet shelves :) I'll also add that when i clicked on the web browser to get into the camera, the password was NOT the same as the NVR like you indicated, it was my old password i used when i had it plugged directly into my switch (before i owned the NVR).
If it still has the old password, that means you didn't set it back to factory defaults BEFORE plugging into the NVR.
Me? I'd start over from scratch.
Unplug any and all cameras from the NVR.
Reset the NVR to factory defaults....shut it down and leave it off until next step.
One at a time, plug in your cameras into your POE switch, Using your PC, log into each camera and do a factory default. Wait a few minutes for camera to reboot.
Then go to the next camera and repeat.
After you have done that, Unplug ALL cameras from the POE switch.
LEAVE the cameras unplugged.
Turn on the NVR, and go through initial setup again with a mouse and a monitor plugged into the NVR.
AFTER you have setup the NVR, Plug one camera at a time, into the NVR's POE ports, wait until a picture appears on screen before you plug in the next camera.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
well i'm using a cable modem/router combo, the wifi is turned off and the ip is 192.168.1.1, dhcp is turned on. i have a cable running to the wifi router in the attic which also has a 192.168.1.1 default address so setup is a pain. i was told to turn off the dhcp on that one but when i do nothing works. there's also a bridge mode but wifi is only 10mpbs. i tried plugging it into a switch which is plugged into the back of the cable modem combo but that doesnt change anything. i changed the ip of the wifi router to 192.168.1.2 and that seems to help, but i still cannot log in directly to the router via ethernet, keeps saying page cannot be displayed. time for dinner.
Leave the routers alone for the time being. The router in the attic can not have the same IP as anything else on the network, that includes the modem.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You mention Bridge mode, that should only apply to your cable modem. That is what it needs to be set to so the added router in the attic will work properly.
Connect only the router in the attic to one of the ports on the cable modem lan ports. Plug nothing else into the modem lan ports.
Now the router in the attic is controlling everything on the network.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok back at it again, if i put the cable modem/wifi router combo in bridge mode, plug in the attic router, then where do i plug in the switch, nvr, etc? everything is in the office closet, but there's a wifi router in the attic for better coverage. i had hell trying to set the linksys router to 192.168.1.2 and putting the cable modem on 192.168.1.1. i changed it from .0 to .1 subnet so that i could see the dahua cameras and nvr, maybe i'm missing the way to be able to enter any ip address and access devices. it seems to be working now, cable modem is in dhcp, single cable coming out and going into switch, everything else, including cable to attic wap is in the switch. and just my luck, once i got the internet working, i turned on the nvr and i'm staring at the camera registration page and NONE of the ip cameras are showing up in the top or bottom part.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so here's my problem now, none of the cameras are showing up. i clicked device search and they appear on the top line. i waited 15 minutes and they never moved to the bottom, yesterday it took an HOUR. so i double clicked moving them to the bottom row. the status light is red. licked on the pencil, entered the old password, status light is green. when i click the web browser it opens a tab with a 10.1.1.65 ip address and just spins. the camera login page never shows up. how can i factory default this camera if i can't log into it? it's mounted on the 2nd floor and i really don't want to climb a ladder, take it apart, etc just to reset it. maybe i'm missing something, but if the power goes out, is the nvr going to be this stupid every time it reboots??

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Do the cameras in the bottom pane have port1,2,3 etc or are tge 37777?

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
port 80, i just rebooted the nvr and it's sitting there doing nothing, cameras are plugged in, it's not showing at the top or bottom. i swear i should make a video of this and put it on youtube.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Unplug the cameras. Reboot NVR
Plug in 1 camera
Reboot NVR again
Wait
They will either show port 1 or 37777

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok i'min the process of doing that, meanwhile what happens when there's a power failure? and how do i factory default the cameras if i can't access the 10.1.1.65 login and can't climb a ladder to hit the reset button?

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok i performed the above, clicked on management then camera which takes me to the registration page, there's nothing in the top or bottom. i did this last time and nothing showed up until i clicked device search, then it appeared in the top. after another long wait they moved themselves to the bottom with a Port number.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
One thing at a time. Mine all work fine in a power failure.

This is the port I'm referring to circled in red

NVR4-CameraRegPage.jpg

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yeah they showed up before. taking my wifi network out of the picture, if i plug a single camera into the back of the nvr and turn it on and goto the registration page it will be blank until i click device search. only then will it transfer it from the to prow to the bottom row and give it a port number consistent with whatever port i plugged it into on the back side. that process literally took an hour yesterday. i dont understand why it takes so long. so if there's a power failure i'll either have no cams, or it will take an hour to get back online? (scratching my head). it's still not showing anything as i type this and i did everything you said to do.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
hmmmm that's not my experience with the last 4 of them.

you rebooted the NVR after you plugged the camera in?