NVR 4208 replacement fan for side unit

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their fan inside the Dahua NVR4208? The one in my unit is ARX CeraDyna Fan 4cm FD0540-A2212A 5V 0.25A 2Wire Cooling Fan.

The fan is really loud and looking for a solid replacement.

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks.. This will fit on side vertical in the 4208 NVR?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The fan you have now is a: 40*40*10mm and so is the one I linked; comes with a 2 wire adapter.. should be pretty straight forward, these are standard sizes and Noctua makes nice quiet fans.

just make sure you get the 5v version and not the 12v if you buy elsewhere.

Jack657

n3wb
Reaction score
The fan looks good to me except for one thing - ? The one I have is 5V, 0.25 A yet the Noctura is 5v, 0.5 a Twice the current draw. Problem I assume.

Jack657

n3wb
Reaction score
The fan you have now is a: 40*40*10mm and so is the one I linked; comes with a 2 wire adapter.. should be pretty straight forward, these are standard sizes and Noctua makes nice quiet fans.

just make sure you get the 5v version and not the 12v if you buy elsewhere.
I note the replacement is 5mA while the original is .25 mA. Will that be a problem?

Jack657

n3wb
Reaction score
I note the replacement is 5mA while the original is .25 mA. Will that be a problem?

grumpcamel

n3wb
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Dahua NVR4108-8P-4KS2 and found the internal fan (Sunon) was too loud. As the NVR is in my study, I changed the internal fan for a Noctua 40x10mm A-Series Blades with AAO Frame, SSO2 Bearing Premium Retail Cooling Fan NF-A4x10 which has a noise level of 13dB. It was a vast improvement but the noise was still a little intrusive which may be partly caused by the flowing air as it goes through the case as well as the fan.
Has anyone managed to get the machine to be near silent? Is the fan necessary or can it be disconnected?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Dahua NVR4108-8P-4KS2 and found the internal fan (Sunon) was too loud. As the NVR is in my study, I changed the internal fan for a Noctua 40x10mm A-Series Blades with AAO Frame, SSO2 Bearing Premium Retail Cooling Fan NF-A4x10 which has a noise level of 13dB. It was a vast improvement but the noise was still a little intrusive which may be partly caused by the flowing air as it goes through the case as well as the fan.
Has anyone managed to get the machine to be near silent? Is the fan necessary or can it be disconnected?
Try slowing down the fan speed as follows: You could try this ==>> here <<==. I cannot attest to them personally but the reviews are good and it would be quick, simple and cheap!

Or a fan speed controller ==>> here <<== for a little bit more control (and money).

Last edited:

grumpcamel

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you TonyR. The fan came with a kit which included a cable to slow the fan speed. It did make a difference but the air rush is still audible. Im going to wither have to get used to it or place it a bit further away from my desk.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you TonyR. The fan came with a kit which included a cable to slow the fan speed. It did make a difference but the air rush is still audible. Im going to wither have to get used to it or place it a bit further away from my desk.
You could still try the cheaper kit for only 1.19 GBP, replacing the cable you tried with one of the five supplied. It may have a higher impedance resistor to slow it a bit more, you won't know until you try. But a word of caution: many 12 VDC fans won't start below 7.0 volts if power is momentarily removed, you must spin the blade once and you don't want that. The more expensive controller may prevent that.
Again, I have no personal experience with either and both would be a gamble, albeit worth a chance if the noise is that disagreeable to you.
Good luck!

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Followup from my post above:
I got the 12vdc 40mm maglev fan from AliExpress. It turned out to be noisier than the Sunon supplied by Dahua.

I also concluded that the whine I was hearing was mostly coming from the air flow through the louvers in the NVR case.

So, I will calculate a resistor value that will slow down the original fan, and I'll keep in mind the warning about ~7 volts startup.

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I used 47 ohms. By running a little slower it helped a bit but the whine doesn't come from the fan, it comes from the air exiting via the louvers cut into the left & right sides of the case.

In the end, I just got used to it.