NVME for storage 24/7 Recording

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey y’all, quick question. I want to build a new server and would like it to be small. With the prices of NVME drives going down, was wondering thoughts on grabbing a couple 4TB NVME drives and using those instead of having to use a 3.5 inch or 2.5 inch drive.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Solid state drives still don't match spinning disks when it comes to lifetime writes and they don't have anywhere near the same dollar per tb value.

As long as you're prepared to replace that ssd sooner than you would have to if it were a HDD it should work quite well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The large SSD's have very high endurance for example the 4tb P3 has an 800TBW rating and the t700 hits a whopping 2400 but is crazy expensive.
It really depends on how much you write to disk. For example looking at one of my systems that has an 8tb drive and gives me 2 -3 months of storage depending on activity. So taking 2 months as an example (more writes) I will write 48TB per year max to the drive. This means that even the much cheaper p3 should provide 16 years of service in theory...
You will be paying at least double for the ssd per TB of storage but it may be worth it to you - it is quieter and faster.

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The large SSD's have very high endurance for example the 4tb P3 has an 800TBW rating and the t700 hits a whopping 2400 but is crazy expensive.
It really depends on how much you write to disk. For example looking at one of my systems that has an 8tb drive and gives me 2 -3 months of storage depending on activity. So taking 2 months as an example (more writes) I will write 48TB per year max to the drive. This means that even the much cheaper p3 should provide 16 years of service in theory...
You will be paying at least double for the ssd per TB of storage but it may be worth it to you - it is quieter and faster.
Wow thank you for such an in-depth answer! You guys are amazing on here

SodFather09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would just go western digital purple drive , and do you really need the speed over a spinning drive?

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
More often it's about the form factor.
You can't fit a WD purple into anything smaller than a sff desktop which for some people is still too big.
Correct, it’s not about speed it’s size. I don’t want to take up too much room on my rack

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow thank you for such an in-depth answer! You guys are amazing on here
FYI, there are some cheaper SSD drives on the market that claim really large TBW. For example Silicon Power has two 4tb drives the UD90 and the XS70 that boast 2400TBW and 3000 TBW respectively for their 4tb drives. These can be had for 150-200 on amazon depending on the model/day.
I have zero experience with this brand, and it may crap out early but for 150 bux I may just give it a shot. Considering that a 4tb purple HDD is at 90 bux a 60 dollar premium is not bad at all.