NUUO Crystal Experience?

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Since I have vSphere infrastructure running at home, I was looking for an OVA based NVR. Blue Iris requires Windows and I really do not want to setup a Windows VM unless I have to (i.e. licensing). So a simple google search showed that NUUO Crystal NVR supports OVA format, which can help me deploy it in mins and it runs on Linux which is free.

Anyone in this form have used NUUO Crystal before? If so, how do you like it as opposed to other NVRs.

Please share your experience, thank you!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know much about NUUO, but a quick search looks like what they sell isn't cheap and overcharge for many components you can source elsewhere for a lot less. $460 for a 2TB Seagate HDD - really? Found a source that said they charge $176 per camera for the license? That will get expensive quick. There website doesn't appear very active either and the most recent news they posted was from 2019...

Most here do not use the BI computer for anything but Blue Iris, so we turn off all windows updates. You can keep the virus scanner up to date though. Windows updates have been known to mess up a BI system running fine...usually the drivers, but sometimes the update messes something. At that point it is basically an NVR...albeit a more powerful one!

Many of us here purchase these refurbished computers and are business class computers that have come off lease and have Windows 10 professional on them. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so for the computer and Blue Iris license....

The benefit to Blue Iris is with the exception of a few cameras, you can use almost any camera.