Notified if a camera goes offline?

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Dahua DHI-NVR608-32-4KS NVR from Empire Andy. One of my 4K-Color-X cameras seems to have died the other day. It won't power on anyone (not a POE switch problem, tried different ports and a different switch). However, I never received any kind of notification that the camera went down. Is there a method in the NVR, or in the DMSS app or something to get notified if a camera goes down/offline? Seems like a pretty normal kind of request but I can't seem to find any setting for this anywhere? I would like it if, as soon as a camera is offline that I receive some kind of notification via DMSS app or via email etc. but can't seem to find this anywhere. Thanks.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
In the DMSS app- device details for NVR- alarm subscription - other alarms - IPC offline- select cameras, be sure to save when you back out.
Most NVRs it is under Alarm from main page -Alarm in port- cam offline for sendind email. But does not need to be set up if using DMSS

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the DMSS app- device details for NVR- alarm subscription - other alarms - IPC offline- select cameras, be sure to save when you back out.
I can't believe I never saw that there before. That's exactly what I was looking for I think. I will test it this weekend by unplugged a camera and see if it triggers a DMSS alert. thanks so much!

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One of my 4K-Color cams from Andy just died for some reason the other day.... so that's why I wanted to find these alert settings. now I gotta wait to find out what Andy says about it, not sure what his warranty is on these units. In the meantime, I ordered one more from him, for a spare and temporary replacement.

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh, and for anyone else interested... @jmcu is correct as well that you can enable email alerts for CAM Offline under the NVR's Alarm In port settings too.. I just enabled it, and received this email shortly after:

Alarm Event: CAM Offline
Alarm Input Channel No.: 10
Alarm Input Channel Name: (name removed)
Alarm Start Time (D/M/Y H:M:S): 26/05/2022 21:17:29 Alarm Device Name: NVR Alarm Name:
IP Address: (IP removed)
Alarm Details:

So both the email option and DMSS alert option work!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Andy's warranty is two years.

Pull the camera down and connect it with a short premade cable to ensure it isn't a bad cable or connector.

If that doesn't get it going, try a factory reset.

Occasionally a camera does die, but many times it ends up being a bad cable or the camera went wonky and lost the IP address (though that shouldn't be an issue with it being hooked to an NVR).

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Already tried all that. But since I can't power up the camera, I can't do a factory reset. But I did pull it inside and connect with a 5' patch cable to rule out cabling, tried a different POE port and different POE switch, no luck. It's dead. Waiting for Andy to message me about it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah the only disadvantage to the 4K/X is no IR filter to listen for a click in order to see if the camera is getting power LOL.