Notification if car leaves

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got a camera in my garage, that has a clear image of the two cars inside of it. I'm wondering - is it possible for me to use Blue Iris to get notifications when a car comes or goes?

What I'd love to do is use logic with my control system, to have certain things happen in my house based on whether or not a car is in the garage. If I can get this working, I'd love to do it with cars in the driveway as well (IE: if my mother-in-law car is in the driveway be able to know that without having to pull up the image).

Any of you IP cam/Blue Iris guru's able to tell me if this is possible and what path I should go down? I'm a super novice when it comes to Blue Iris.

Attachments

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure if you could do that with BlueIris or not but I do this with my home automation software, Homeseer. They even have a plugin for your Tesla. www.homeseer.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. I have Control4, and have the Tesla integrated in there as well. Basically, what happens is my wife leaves all the time, and leaves every single light, TV, etc... on in the house. I want to create programming so that if it's during the day (kids all in school) and she leaves, it turns everything off (unless someone intervenes after an announcement warning it's about to happen).

I've done this using network monitoring to know if her phone is connected to the WiFi, but that fails because sometimes she leaves her phone her or sometimes the WiFi gets turned off on her phone. I don't love sharing the phone location all the time, but tried that and it still fell over when she left her phone here. Part of me also just thinks it would be fun...and if I can make this work, I can work on other uses (like getting a notification when the UPS truck rolls up, or when a package is detected on the porch).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Iris has geofencing that could be tied to a cell phone and give notifications on arriving and leaving.

You could use an AI camera that only detects vehicles and use ONVIF triggers in BI to notify you.

Add the ability to read plates through OpenALPR or Plate Recognizer and it could do the mother-in-law thing.

I haven't done any of this, but have read here and elsewhere where people have done this - like have a gated community gate open based on plates, etc.

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@SecuritySeeker - Trust me, I've tried everything I can think of! It drives me insane...she's so great in so many ways, but turning off lights, closing doors and turning off TV's aren't her strong suit.

@wittaj - I'm not super keen on that, as I don't love the location tracking and she often leaves her phone behind (part of the same forgetfulness that allows her to leave every appliance in the house running all the time).

This is the camera that I have in the garage - maybe doing it in the camera software is the way to go: IPC-HDW5442T-ZE

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I would definitely try the camera software route first - that would at least get you the part in the garage. That camera also has missing object, but not sure how well that would work with a vehicle as I haven't tried it for that purpose.

The car, ups, etc. in the driveway is another issue, but same type of thing can be done with a camera there.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have Control4, and have the Tesla integrated in there as well. Basically, what happens is my wife leaves all the time, and leaves every single light, TV, etc... on in the house. I want to create programming so that if it's during the day (kids all in school) and she leaves, it turns everything off (unless someone intervenes after an announcement warning it's about to happen).

I've done this using network monitoring to know if her phone is connected to the WiFi, but that fails because sometimes she leaves her phone her or sometimes the WiFi gets turned off on her phone. I don't love sharing the phone location all the time, but tried that and it still fell over when she left her phone here. Part of me also just thinks it would be fun...and if I can make this work, I can work on other uses (like getting a notification when the UPS truck rolls up, or when a package is detected on the porch).
Why not just put a device on the car with gps that will notify you when it leaves, arrives and any other place you want to see if it is stopping at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a camera in my garage and I trained an object detector on my two cars, garbage bin and tool bucket. The tool bucket is just a sanity check and if it’s not visible then the camera doesn’t change the state of the other objects. The cars and bin are both tied to virtual presence sensors in SmartThings. My wife and I also have our phones as presence sensors. This allows for automations to open and close the garage doors. Ie., if I’m arriving and my car is not in the garage, then open the left garage door.

I used to have Bluetooth trackers tied to the objects, but found them unreliable. I never did the zigbee presence which would be much simpler than the camera + software.

Brendon06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You could try this VorlonCD/bi-aidetection
There is some good info here
It can detect certain objects from a jpeg (blue iris alert or timed image or camera alert image) and send various eg run script, Matt, http commands based on results

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
instead of BI, better consult with your C4 programmer to include occupancy sensor at specific areas (rooms, garage, etc.). Depending on different variables (tv on, lights on, cars left, night-time, daytime, alarm arm, disarm, etc.), automated events (macros) will be executed with more precision than a camera sensor (I personally prefer zigbee technology)

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why not just put a device on the car with gps that will notify you when it leaves, arrives and any other place you want to see if it is stopping at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's another device to charge and mess with - I don't want to have to introduce any new hardware or things to maintain.