Not impressed..

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Jack B Nimble. Can I ask why you retired Blue Iris and went with an NVR. Noob here, searching my options. Thanks.

I liked Blue Iris for many years but, my life is too busy to play with too many settings in BI and the NVR is very easy. Perhaps not as nice for all the custom features of Blue Iris but, even my wife can use the NVR which the monitor sits on her desk with the mouse (NVR in basement with 25' HDMI to the 28" monitor) . I feel like the NVR has saved me much stress and countless hours as well I don't think about the system anymore just apart of the house, can't really explain it better than that. BI/ NVR just different choices that are both nice in their own ways -just nice to have a choice isn't it.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@zero-degrees, where r u finding the 4mp HK Turrets for that low?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's our buy/transfer price when we purchase $5,000+ from one of our distributors. It's not a price anyone can get by calling them up. Also note they are private label HIK (not full color retail box US HIK)

Reaction score
Very appreciated Zero-degrees!, no harm done. Things can have a huge variance in price here in Ontario, so it always pays to shop around. I offered to help run wires which he appreciated so that gave me a bit of a break in labor.. I will definitely keep note on the firmware as you mentioned, and I believe I have a full 1 year warranty. Having these installed before winter should hopefully help work all the kinks out ( if any) due to the cold etc even though they are rated for the weather we get.

Reaction score
Jack B Nimble, I will most definitely NOT pay till all is said and done!, I made that very clear to him and he agreed that I would not have any issues doing so. I'll be sure to throw up some pictures and a review when all is said and done.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Jack B Nimble. Can I ask why you retired Blue Iris and went with an NVR. Noob here, searching my options. Thanks.

I liked Blue Iris for many years but, my life is too busy to play with too many settings in BI and the NVR is very easy. Perhaps not as nice for all the custom features of Blue Iris but, even my wife can use the NVR which the monitor sits on her desk with the mouse (NVR in basement with 25' HDMI to the 28" monitor) . I feel like the NVR has saved me much stress and countless hours as well I don't think about the system anymore just apart of the house, can't really explain it better than that. BI/ NVR just different choices that are both nice in their own ways -just nice to have a choice isn't it.
BI is just as easy to use as an NVR for basic use. You further have the option to setup advanced settings not available on an NVR. The motion detection on BI is lightyears ahead of the cameras. The BI mobile app for video review is far superior to the hikvision mobile app which is a complete joke for video review - its unsuable unless you have alot of time on your hands. When it comes to alerts the hikvision is pretty much useless. Its important to note that you DONT have to constantly tinker with blue iris. You CHOOSE to. There is nothing that forces you to update BI. Its an OPTION. New features added monthly. @looney2ns Its important to note that jack was using BI3 not BI4, which is over two years old, and never used the mobile app or any advanced functions like profiles alerts and scheduling....More importantly, I have over 20 BI machines running...they require no tinkering or intervention, they just work. I got rid of the NVR's and would never install one again...Milestone essentials is now also free for up to 8 cameras...i

Reaction score
WOW
THat is a smokin deal ... I could fly this guy around the country and pay for his hotels and flight and still make $$.
I concluded I'm a DIY sucker and thought I should fly him to MN with a suitcase full of hardware!
I also thought of hiring him but go for it and send him my way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk