Not impressed..

Reaction score
Well for those in Ontario Canada I'll save you one hell of a headache by telling you to avoid going to ADI, Tri Star and Smartech in Toronto for your camera needs.. just drove an hour and a half in rough traffic today to visit these stores to finally get a complete camera system which I've had to wait 8 months or more for because I was previously ripped off buying from what I thought was a trustworthy installer.
I was turned away immediately even though I had cash in hand. Thats pretty pathetic if you ask me... no care for the little guys!
Well back to the drawing board again.. save yourself the trip.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
What type of system did the Installer try to sell you?

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
I know plenty of suppliers that turn away people off the street. You may know what you are doing, but selling to the random public is a very quick way to tie up your sales and support staff, end up with installations that make your gear look bad an generate negative publicity from the inept social media freak who bought your stuff and blames you because they are not capable of taking it out of the box, let alone plugging it in.

Two sides to every story I'm afraid and once burned..... It's not always about industry protectionism, sometimes it just costs more than the gear is worth in after sales support and reputation.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
You are SO right Brad. I have been doing Computer Sales and IT work for 26 years. If I listen to a person tell me how 6 other people have ripped them off or overpriced or did not know what they are doing I RUN from them because chances are I will be number 7 on their list. These are the same people who always find something wrong with their hotel room in hopes of getting a discount or a free room or something bad with the restaurant they just ate at in hopes of a free meal. For the record here Im not calling out SmallTownCan here or by any means saying he fits this bill, I have read his installer post and I believe he has a gripe for sure.

Reaction score
Well for those in Ontario Canada I'll save you one hell of a headache by telling you to avoid going to ADI, Tri Star and Smartech in Toronto for your camera needs.. just drove an hour and a half in rough traffic today to visit these stores to finally get a complete camera system which I've had to wait 8 months or more for because I was previously ripped off buying from what I thought was a trustworthy installer.
I was turned away immediately even though I had cash in hand. Thats pretty pathetic if you ask me... no care for the little guys!
Well back to the drawing board again.. save yourself the trip.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up, i was going to try and visit Smartech to get some pricing and purchase.
Let me know where you end up getting from.

Reaction score
I apologize for such a late response to this! I didn't even notice the message notification :laugh: To answer those responses, it's simply been VERY frustrating on my part trying to get set up with a system.. I got completely screwed by the first installer ( JS Lemac Computers) Scott had the wool pulled over my eyes from the start by suggesting a Foscam system ( which I knew nothing about) until I started doing my research on here. It took 8 months to finally get my money back after police involvement. I'm ever so thankful that my credit card company went to bat for me as I'd otherwise never have seen my money again. Scott was able to go on a Caribbean cruise, a second trip, have his yard work done by a local company, order out on a regular basis etc.. but couldn't somehow show up to put my cameras up, pay me back, or return any of my calls, texts, emails once I started to question why he was continually putting me off. Even upon visit to his home requesting my money he was rude and belligerent, screaming at me when I showed him a print off from a website where former clients had told the story of being ripped off by him in the exact same fashion as he was doing to me. When I also mentioned that the OPP had informed me that he was red flagged by them regarding possible Fraud allegations he lost it and called the police on me ordering me off his property telling them that his wife and daughter were fearing for their lives because I had shown up there requesting my money back... He welcomed legal actions by me stating "you'll get your money when I get around to it". Thankfully with the advice of some peers I went to my credit card company asking for help. They took action after I decided that I didn't want to lose more time from my job due to Scott and his last minute installation cancellations. They handled the situation very well, and he now has to deal with the creditors. Sadly after all of this he still continues to rip people off with his fraudulent actions.

I take no offense from you guys what so ever, I was rather heated writing that post after the wasted 2 hour drive to Toronto having read that I could get cameras at these suppliers only to be turned away with cash in my hand. I completely understand the reasoning behind what they do. I was simply at the end of my ropes after this second trial and error. I have recently came across another company recommended by my neighbor who is also in the market for a system. It's a small local business called Kelguard Security. The owner is a former police officer of 33 years who worked in Criminal Intelligence for 11 of them. He specializes in home security, very polite and knowledgeable guy. He came out to my house and gave me an excellent quote on a Hikvision 8 camera set up. I also was given some clients in my home town as references... the installs I was able to view were extremely clean and properly done, picture quality was excellent and I am told customer service has been great as well. I just set up an install date with him and will definitely post my results.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
He came out to my house and gave me an excellent quote on a Hikvision 8 camera set up. How much may I ask is the quote in Ontario ?

Reaction score
He came out to my house and gave me an excellent quote on a Hikvision 8 camera set up. How much may I ask is the quote in Ontario ?
You most definitely can, I was right around the $1300 dollar mark. That's fully wired, installed, programmed etc. Basically everything I requested which I personally thought was very reasonable after shopping around and talking to other people.

Reaction score
I suppose I should also clarify for you @Jack B Nimble what I'm getting also.. The cameras are 4mp Hikvision Turrets with EXIR DS-2CD2342WD-I, Running CAT6 cable, 3TB HD, Hikvision 8ch NVR DS-7608NI-E2/8P obviously I'll have the remote viewing and all of that fun stuff too which is a key thing for myself. Might add a power backup as well if I find a decent one, other than that I'm just excited to finally get this all done. I'll try and post up some installation pictures, and screen shots once it's all said and done. Since I know everyone likes pictures on these forums!.

Last edited by a moderator:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@SmallTownCanadian like everyone has said that is a crazy good deal... It seems you've done your research and verified some of his previous work. However here is a quick break down below of what I could get private label HIK equipment for through my distribution channels. This is splitting the NVR and Cameras between two different vendors (both supply private label HIK though), The HD's are coming from another source and the cable is coming from an electrical distributor. All the pricing below is for US Stocked and Warranty products. Buying though my companies channels we're only a mid level discount tier customer in most cases, so some larger companies may get better breaks, but even at that it won't be a ton.

4.1mp Exir Turret (3 year warranty): $109 x 8 = $872
8 Channel 4K NVR (3 year warranty): $200 x 1 = $200
3TB WD Purple Drive OEM: $90
1000' Cat 6 Solid Core (Standard Grade): $58

Total: $1,220

I would look into what warranty if anything is provided and also find out if these are china cameras with english firmware. Regardless if they are, thats not a bad thing, you just need to know ahead of time so you don't ever attempt to push firmware upgrades. Again, not trying to scare you away from the deal, just providing you a little more info to assure you have your checks and balances in place. With the info above I would normally guess this job would come in around $2,000 - $2,500 depending on the labor involved in the wiring.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You most definitely can, I was right around the $1300 dollar mark. That's fully wired, installed, programmed etc. Basically everything I requested which I personally thought was very reasonable after shopping around and talking to other people.
WOW
THat is a smokin deal, make sure you don't pay till after the install. I figure it would cost me $1400 cdn to buy that system from Ali and around here about $2000 on the install( residential) For a commercial install (a easy one ) at a small store same system $7500 cdn all in. I have had tiny store pay $32,000 for a very similar system in a rural community.
I just looked at a quote this morning for 4 cameras in a curling rink no nvr on 4 28" TV's for over $5000 cdn. This one a friend and I have to figure how to just view on TV's the rink "house".

Please put up some install picks and your review of your experiance. I could fly this guy around the country and pay for his hotels and flight and still make $$.