Not getting all the triggers...

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I noticed that my camera is not triggering on every car that goes by. I changed the trigger to be super sensitive.

The car at the end went by while I was doing full video record. No trigger.

I tried edge vector and simple triggering. I just switched to B&W triggering. I seem to be able to read the plates-- but occasionally it just misses... I am trying to record the direction (that also seems like it isn't working-- it seems delayed)

Any tips?

Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 10.10.50 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 10.10.36 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 10.10.28 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 10.05.00 PM.png

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Do this.

Zone A all colored in
Zone B make a line 4 or 5 blocks wide that cars drive through.
Zone C shade in another line 4 or 5 blocks wide.
Separate the Zone B and C lines by 10 blocks.

B-C. or B>C,C>B

Car will drive through line B then through line C or vice versa

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do this.

Zone A all colored in
Zone B make a line 4 or 5 blocks wide that cars drive through.
Zone C shade in another line 4 or 5 blocks wide.
Separate the Zone B and C lines by 10 blocks.

B-C. or B>C,C>B

Car will drive through line B then through line C or vice versa
Understood. I will give that a try... Could I go zone C all filled in and the make A and B the zones for direction? The MQTT message goes all over the place.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure but I seemed to recall that when you have objects cross from one zone to another and there is a gap between them that A needs to be shaded in where ever B and C exists and the space between them.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, I went with zone A being everything (minus the grass that waves) and B and C seperated a little bit (4 blocks or so).

I'll report back tomorrow when I have some data.
Thanks.

Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 10.41.03 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 10.40.55 PM.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At night you can make the make time 0.0 and simple algorithm since the image is completely black.

Zone A can be the whole image at night since it is all black. Remember how motion detection works in BI - for best results it has to pass thru a zone, so it is best to always have Zone A be the entire image.

What is your FPS?

I noticed that my LPR camera wouldn't trigger in every instance (I knew this because the overview cam triggered and the LPR camera didn't)

For this plate camera, I was obviously running a fast shutter to capture plates, but also had the FPS at 30 FPS thinking that would be better. When I knocked it down to 10 FPS, Blue Iris motion started capturing the ones that were missed. I think the motion algorithm for a tight field of view was having difficulty with the faster FPS as there wasn't as much of a difference comparing frame to frame at 30FPS to 10FPS. A vehicle is in and out of my LPR field of view in under 0.5 seconds and I now get trigger alerts and capture every plate at 8FPS (yes I dropped it even further for longer retention of LPR images).

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is your FPS?

I noticed that my LPR camera wouldn't trigger in every instance (I knew this because the overview cam triggered and the LPR camera didn't)

For this plate camera, I was obviously running a fast shutter to capture plates, but also had the FPS at 30 FPS thinking that would be better. When I knocked it down to 10 FPS, Blue Iris motion started capturing the ones that were missed. I think the motion algorithm for a tight field of view was having difficulty with the faster FPS as there wasn't as much of a difference comparing frame to frame at 30FPS to 10FPS. A vehicle is in and out of my LPR field of view in under 0.5 seconds and I now get trigger alerts and capture every plate at 8FPS (yes I dropped it even further for longer retention of LPR images).
So last night I believe I caught all the movement changing the Zone A to be the entire field of view, and B and C being strips the cars pass in and out of. My overview camera might have even missed one now.

I forgot to save the "object cross zones" from A>B, B>A to B>C,C>B.... I have to snoop the MQTT messages today.

I am running at 25 FPS. Shutter speed of 1/1000 both day and night.

Like you, I think the plates take around 0.5 seconds.

Let me gather some data and Ill drop that in half. I am trying to change just one thing at once.

But that makes sense, I don't care about a nice smooth motion. I really want just one high quality image to be sent to Code Project..

I just remembered too, I am not using substreams on this particular camera to trigger motion. Slowing down the FPS might really help in my case.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am at 10 FPS... Seems ok. I am missing a few reads now- but no missing triggers. I made a few tweaks. Hopefully I get better results...

What seems to definitely be messed up is the MQTT messages with the direction. I have B on the left and C on the right.... I am wondering if it is shifted by one...

12/23/2023 11:17:19 AM
Plate detected: 2YPT22 Probability: 99% MOTION TYPE MOTION_C>B

12/23/2023 11:12:54 AM
Plate detected: 3TRB50 Probability: 99% MOTION TYPE MOTION_B>C

12/23/2023 11:10:28 AM
Plate detected: 252JA5 Probability: 91% MOTION TYPE MOTION_B>C

12/23/2023 11:09:58 AM
Plate detected: 0 Probability: 98% MOTION TYPE MOTION_B>C

Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 11.26.52 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 11.27.22 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 11.28.06 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 11.29.00 AM.png