Not eligible for Winn 11 Upgrade?!

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My HP desktop computer is about 5 yrs old and has what, at the time was a decent processor; an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.41 GHz. with 24GB RAM.
How is a fairly "young" IMO pretty standard computer like this not eligible?!
Is the majority of the planet going to have to buy a new computer in 2025 when they end support?

I primarily use the computer as a BI server and occasionally as a work from home desktop and is more than adequate for that at the moment.
These seem to be my only choices.

A) Do nothing until 2025
B) Try to upgrade the processor
c) Buy \ build a new desktop

Opinions on what choice to follow and\or and down sides to doing nothing?

1644281258839.png

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My HP desktop computer is about 5 yrs old and has what, at the time was a decent processor; an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.41 GHz. with 24GB RAM.
How is a fairly "young" IMO pretty standard computer like this not eligible?!
Is the majority of the planet going to have to buy a new computer in 2025 when they end support?

I primarily use the computer as a BI server and occasionally as a work from home desktop and is more than adequate for that at the moment.
These seem to be my only choices.

A) Do nothing until 2025
B) Try to upgrade the processor
c) Buy \ build a new desktop

Opinions on what choice to follow and\or and down sides to doing nothing?

View attachment 118038
No need to windows 11. Its a serious pain in the ass, no option to "never combine taskbar". Windows 11 needs an 8th gen or higher cpu. Wait until 2025, by that time your computer will be 10 years old and MS will likely ease restrictions by allowing updates to w11 or extending support for w10.

ccssid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree. I have 2 computers that I work off. I prefer windows 10. You are not missing out on anything. The biggest issue with my windows 11 PC, I canot use my Intel x520 10 gb network card....No drivers available.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm sure older chips can run Windows 11 just fine. The speculation is that MS is demanding 8th generation and newer CPUs due to the hardware design flaws in earlier chips that allowed the Spectre and Meltdown attacks. These were corrected starting in the 8th generation chips.

Reaction score
Also you might be able to get Windows 11 supported either by using the published workaround or if your motherboard offers TPM2.0 support (which you probably would have to enable). There was quite a bit of tech pushback around the Windows 11 "requirements" as being some type of forced hardware obsolescence, and even TPM modules got all bought out by scalpers that apparently didn't know that a lot of processors & motherboards have this capability built-in now. So we'll see where it goes, but agree with @fenderman that if enough people aren't able to upgrade when the time comes, someone (possibly even Microsoft or CPU/MB vendors themselves) will figure out a way to keep at least some older generations of CPU operational.

So much for Windows 10 will be the last operating system we ever need hehe.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought a similar i7-6700 PC last year. It replaced my dying third gen BI server. I'll keep running Win 10 on it until BI forces me to upgrade, or it does. I don't use the Windows "features", I use Windows to run BI.

My other BI server is a nine year old, bought used, AMD processor running Windows 8.1. Works, fine, I don't bother it.

For those concerned with security, I figure if my network is properly setup and firewalled, the BI server is very well protected as I'm not web browsing or downloading much to it, it has a very low risk profile.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^This!!!!

Many people still run Win7 and probably some other Win versions no longer supported. Good firewall and security software minimizes the risk.

And for a computer just being used for Blue Iris, even when Win10 is no longer supported, it will still be more secure than an NVR that might see one or two security patches in it's life!

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. Ride it out to 2025 it is for the desktop then.
Oddly enough, the MS PC Health Check app said my laptop, (which is even older), also was not compatible when I checked it late last year. I just checked it again last week and it said it WAS compatible with Win11. So I went ahead and ran the upgrade for the laptop and it works fine.
So are they maybe changing the "compatibility" on the fly over time?

ccssid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. Ride it out to 2025 it is for the desktop then.
Oddly enough, the MS PC Health Check app said my laptop, (which is even older), also was not compatible when I checked it late last year. I just checked it again last week and it said it WAS compatible with Win11. So I went ahead and ran the upgrade for the laptop and it works fine.
So are they maybe changing the "compatibility" on the fly over time?
Just built a new machine .z690, 12600k, 32gb ram. Installed w10. Notice was posted on my screen....not eligible for W11 upgrade....go figure

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
The CPU cutoff does seem pretty arbitrary although they quote security as being the reason. In fact MS have excluded some of their own older devices and being a cynic it wouldn’t surprise me if they’ve done this to try and perk up the computing market by hoping that people will junk their PC and buy a new.

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Win 11 requires TPM (Trusted Platform Module) and will automatically encrypt your drive! Having retired from a huge enterprise network system I can tell you the horrors of drive encryption. First off, it will slow down your computer. Second, if your drive were to crash chances are extremely slim on recovering data from it. I am happy with Win 10 and Linux and have no reason to upgrade!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Win 11 requires TPM (Trusted Platform Module) and will automatically encrypt your drive! Having retired from a huge enterprise network system I can tell you the horrors of drive encryption. First off, it will slow down your computer. Second, if your drive were to crash chances are extremely slim on recovering data from it. I am happy with Win 10 and Linux and have no reason to upgrade!
It didn’t encrypt my HDD when I upgraded to W11 on both my laptop and desktop, both have TPM 2.