Noob here

bbatman99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I stumbled onto this place as I kept researching cctv systems. I got further down the rabbit hole and here I am. Just when I thought I was at the finish line, I'm now back to the beginning of my quest. :)

I currently have ring cameras setup around the house but looking to upgrade to a good cctv setup.

Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome.

Ring is easy to setup, but not very good for IDENTIFY, especially at night.

And folks try to do too much with the wide angle view and expect to IDENTIFY 40 feet away.

Take a look at this thread that shows the importance of focal length. The last thing you want to do is replace them with the same focal length cameras, because even a great camera on a 2.8mm focal length will not IDENTIFY at 40 feet out. It is simply physics.

In this thread are the most commonly recommended cameras for the distance you would want to IDENTIFY someone at.

Also look at the wiki.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I stumbled onto this place as I kept researching cctv systems. I got further down the rabbit hole and here I am. Just when I thought I was at the finish line, I'm now back to the beginning of my quest. :)

I currently have ring cameras setup around the house but looking to upgrade to a good cctv setup.

Thanks!
welcome @bbatman99

yes, I do not see batman using Ring products .. that would be too much of a Joker trick on him ..

bbatman99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome.

Ring is easy to setup, but not very good for IDENTIFY, especially at night.

And folks try to do too much with the wide angle view and expect to IDENTIFY 40 feet away.

Take a look at this thread that shows the importance of focal length. The last thing you want to do is replace them with the same focal length cameras, because even a great camera on a 2.8mm focal length will not IDENTIFY at 40 feet out. It is simply physics.

In this thread are the most commonly recommended cameras for the distance you would want to IDENTIFY someone at.

Also look at the wiki.
Thanks for the Wiki link. Good info in there

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm reading through the cliff notes and they're great
All my research, questions, answers, and reading led me to Dahua OEM, EmpireTech/Andy and Blue Iris.

I have zero complaints and gladly renewed my tech support which is due again and will be renewed again.

Blue Iris at default, works great, for those who want a higher level of performance there are too many options to name.

bbatman99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All my research, questions, answers, and reading led me to Dahua OEM, EmpireTech/Andy and Blue Iris.

I have zero complaints and gladly renewed my tech support which is due again and will be renewed again.

Blue Iris at default, works great, for those who want a higher level of performance there are too many options to name.
Thank you! Does Blue Iris have a good iPhone app?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use the native UI3 that is free and part of BI.

Simply open a web browser and type in the IP address of your BI computer followed by :80 or :81 or whatever your port number is.

There is a a paid BI app ($10) that has lots of complaints on the app store - the complaints are user errors such as not understanding what IP address to type into the app.

I have both the paid app and UI3 and use UI3 99.9% of the time.

But for most, the only reason to buy the app would be for cameras with two-way talk and push notifications.

I have two way talk cameras and used the BI push for awhile but found the Pushover app ($5) to be better as the BI app would need either forwarded ports or VPN on while away to get the image with the push. Pushover app sends images regardless of whether connected to VPN or not.

bbatman99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run mine with Android so I can't comment on IPhone.

Pushover and the OEM BI app works well after you get it figured out, takes a bit of patience to configure but no complaints.
Blue Iris has me intrigued as it sounds like it could be a fun adventure since I’m in IT. However, my wife is constantly using the Ring app so I need a system that she doesn’t get frustrated with. That is my dilemma right now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Iris has me intrigued as it sounds like it could be a fun adventure since I’m in IT. However, my wife is constantly using the Ring app so I need a system that she doesn’t get frustrated with. That is my dilemma right now.
Unfortunately Ring is proprietary so you cannot bring that camera into BI, but get one good camera and start playing around. Something like the 5442-ZE varifocal is a great first camera to get and test different locations and focal distances.

We generally propose gear comparable in price or cheaper to what people pay for a Ring camera LOL.

I think the example that @samplenhold provided a while back in this thread shows the difference in quality and that should negate the argument that you have to spend more than consumer grade prices to get quality images.

So they had a door checker one night in 2020.

@samplenhold is using IPC-HDW5231R-ZE which sold in the $150ish range, which has since been replaced with the 5442-ZE that sells for $190ish and here was his capture in a position similar to what his neighbor captured with a Ring:

1674920768492.png

Meanwhile his neighbor has the Ring system and his Ring Camera depending on the model ranges from $200 to $250. Here was his image when the perp rang across the street to his house:

1674920808389.png

Which camera do you think provides a better image - the expensive cameras we recommend at $150-190ish or the consumer grade Ring at $200-250ish?

BI offers a 14-day free trial, so you get that camera and you start playing with it.

Now many will argue that the Ring app experience is a better experience, so your wife would probably prefer that app. The consumer grade companies invest more in their app experience because that is what is driving their sales are a consumer that wants the ease/simplicity/simple setup and app more so than camera quality. But after she plays around with UI3 or the BI app, she will realize that there is a lot more functionality available to her with BI. Now whether she cares or not is another story LOL.

But get that one camera and load up her phone with UI3 and have her start getting used to it. Most do not like change, but after the plays with it, hopefully she will like it better.

And once you go to BI, so goodbye to the handcuffed subscription Ring hooks you for!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bbatman99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately Ring is proprietary so you cannot bring that camera into BI, but get one good camera and start playing around. Something like the 5442-ZE varifocal is a great first camera to get and test different locations and focal distances.

We generally propose gear comparable in price or cheaper to what people pay for a Ring camera LOL.

I think the example that @samplenhold provided a while back in this thread shows the difference in quality and that should negate the argument that you have to spend more than consumer grade prices to get quality images.

So they had a door checker one night in 2020.

@samplenhold is using IPC-HDW5231R-ZE which sold in the $150ish range, which has since been replaced with the 5442-ZE that sells for $190ish and here was his capture in a position similar to what his neighbor captured with a Ring:

View attachment 152287

Meanwhile his neighbor has the Ring system and his Ring Camera depending on the model ranges from $200 to $250. Here was his image when the perp rang across the street to his house:

View attachment 152288

Which camera do you think provides a better image - the expensive cameras we recommend at $150-190ish or the consumer grade Ring at $200-250ish?

BI offers a 14-day free trial, so you get that camera and you start playing with it.

Now many will argue that the Ring app experience is a better experience, so your wife would probably prefer that app. The consumer grade companies invest more in their app experience because that is what is driving their sales are a consumer that wants the ease/simplicity/simple setup and app more so than camera quality. But after she plays around with UI3 or the BI app, she will realize that there is a lot more functionality available to her with BI. Now whether she cares or not is another story LOL.

But get that one camera and load up her phone with UI3 and have her start getting used to it. Most do not like change, but after the plays with it, hopefully she will like it better.

And once you go to BI, so goodbye to the handcuffed subscription Ring hooks you for!
Oh I’m with you. I‘m dumping Ring completely. I’m loving the quality you get with these cameras.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Crazy what a day of research will lead you to. A couple days ago I was leaning towards the 5442-ZE + traditional NVR. Today I’m in full Blue Iris mode spec’n out computers. What have you guys done to me? :lmao:
NOW you are becoming the see in the Dark Knight !