Noob here. Needing help picking a camera

NoobCamMan

n3wb
Reaction score
My wife is wanting to livestream some farm animals to YouTube. What is the best camera that doesn’t require a computer to host or use special software that can stream to YouTube. Was thinking dahua ipc-hdw5831r-ze or is there something better?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My wife is wanting to livestream some farm animals to YouTube. What is the best camera that doesn’t require a computer to host or use special software that can stream to YouTube. Was thinking dahua ipc-hdw5831r-ze or is there something better?
Welcome @NoobCamMan

Does it have to be "4K" .. or is 1080p good?

NoobCamMan

n3wb
Reaction score
We have gig service internet. On WiFi it’s usually about 650 speed. I think she would prefer 4K but we’re open to suggestions

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We have gig service internet. On WiFi it’s usually about 650 speed. I think she would prefer 4K but we’re open to suggestions
indoor, outdoor ?

daytime?
nighttime?

The more affordable 8MP cameras do about 15fps iirc ...

NoobCamMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Outdoor 24/7 live-streaming if she wants. So daytime and nighttime. We have EZVIZ 8 camera 1080P with DVR for the house just can’t make them connect to YouTube. We don’t have an extra dedicated computer to host with software.

NoobCamMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah lol. 24 hour wait period. We got past that but the EZVIZ unfortunately couldn’t be setup to stream. Tried through the settings on the DVR

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't know if you have seen this video:

Basically, any IP camera with "RTMP" functionality.
Not to be confused with RTSP.

There are other options out there.
Such as Axis Communications cameras having plugins avaliable. A specific plugin can be useful if you want a dynamic weather widget on screen.
But that gets expensive quickly!!

Most Dahua cameras have the option to upload a small image to use as a watermark. Example could be your own livestream branding.
But this does not update on it's own.

Welcome @NoobCamMan

Does it have to be "4K" .. or is 1080p good?
Already onto low light asking I see.....

Quick gist; Higher resolution often reduces night vision quality.
Ways around is buying a more expensive camera with a larger imaging sensor and/or higher light sensitivity on each pixel.

Last edited:

NoobCamMan

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't know if you have seen this video:

Basically, any IP camera with "RTMP" functionality.
Not to be confused with RTSP.

There are other options out there.
Such as Axis Communications cameras having plugins avaliable. A specific plugin can be useful if you want a dynamic weather widget on screen.
But that gets expensive quickly!!

Most Dahua cameras have the option to upload a small image to use as a watermark. Example could be your own livestream branding.
But this does not update on it's own.

Already onto low light asking I see.....

Quick gist; Higher resolution requires often reduces night vision quality.
Ways around is buying a more expensive camera with a larger imaging sensor and/or higher light sensitivity on each pixel.
recommendations on a nicer camera? And yep that’s why I was looking at that camera. Reviews are not great. But not bad

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
recommendations on a nicer camera?
In what way would you like a 'nicer camera'?
If the camera has RTMP, then the next decision is comparing cameras video quality performance.

Dahua & Hikvision are not the only brands that have RTMP.

1. The best place to start is knowing what your budget is.

2. Then knowing what your video goal is:
  • Video subject, e.g. a large open area or small object.
  • Your expectations of day/night quality.
  • Night vision illumination method; IR, White light or 24/7 color video.
  • Extra features like internal or external audio.
  • Fixed camera or a PTZ? (PTZ means the camera can be moved by motors and is controlled through the application interface).

3. Then finding the highest quality camera with those specifications (2) which is within that budget.

I cannot recommend a certain camera.
All my experience comes from buying most cameras used and they are typically devices which are over 5 years old.

Here on IPcamtalk, you will predominantly get recommendations for Dahua/Hikvision cameras. They are great cameras.

NoobCamMan

n3wb
Reaction score
So thinking about it I’d need a WIFI IP Cam that can do RTMP. I have power available there where the camera would go but not an Ethernet cable. I guess I could make a cable and run it if needed. WiFi would be much easier.

Video would be in open area but I think narrow view would be ok

Great day quality and good-great night quality lol. Night vision type can be anything long as it doesn’t reflect back too much

Internal audio would be best

PTZ would be nice but if not it’s ok

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So thinking about it I’d need a WIFI IP Cam that can do RTMP. I have power available there where the camera would go but not an Ethernet cable. I guess I could make a cable and run it if needed. WiFi would be much easier.

Video would be in open area but I think narrow view would be ok

Great day quality and good-great night quality lol. Night vision type can be anything long as it doesn’t reflect back too much

Internal audio would be best

PTZ would be nice but if not it’s ok
Wifi and cameras are not a good combination. Now for wildlife maybe, but it will be skipping and choppy.

Either run ethernet, use a powerline adapter to run data over the electric lines, or a nano-station and not use traditional wifi on a router.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many people unfortunately think wifi cameras are the answer and they are not. Countless examples of folks coming here with issues and were doing just that and cleared up after they removed that data stream out of the router.

People will say what about Ring and Nest - well that is another whole host of issues that we will not discuss here LOL, but they are not streaming 24/7, only when you pull up the app. Sending a wifi cam to youtube for 24/7 streaming is a different story.

Because these cameras do not buffer, if the router gets "overloaded" and has a lost packet, it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to deal with a wifi camera. At the very least it can slow down your entire system. Consumer grade routers are simply not designed for the 24/7 constant demand of wifi cameras.

With a streaming device like a Netflix, because of the buffering, the router is taking "breaks" as it routes and deals with other devices on the system and then comes back to the Netflix stream and loads up a bit of that and then goes and does other things. Don't believe me, unplug your internet while watching a streaming service and you may get 45 seconds or more video based on buffering whereas the camera you will lose the video immediately (within the latency of the network).

These cameras provide NON-STOP data streaming and as such can provide a constant load that some of the routers will have trouble with.

NoobCamMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Many people unfortunately think wifi cameras are the answer and they are not. Countless examples of folks coming here with issues and were doing just that and cleared up after they removed that data stream out of the router.

People will say what about Ring and Nest - well that is another whole host of issues that we will not discuss here LOL, but they are not streaming 24/7, only when you pull up the app. Sending a wifi cam to youtube for 24/7 streaming is a different story.

Because these cameras do not buffer, if the router gets "overloaded" and has a lost packet, it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to deal with a wifi camera. At the very least it can slow down your entire system. Consumer grade routers are simply not designed for the 24/7 constant demand of wifi cameras.

With a streaming device like a Netflix, because of the buffering, the router is taking "breaks" as it routes and deals with other devices on the system and then comes back to the Netflix stream and loads up a bit of that and then goes and does other things. Don't believe me, unplug your internet while watching a streaming service and you may get 45 seconds or more video based on buffering whereas the camera you will lose the video immediately (within the latency of the network).

These cameras provide NON-STOP data streaming and as such can provide a constant load that some of the routers will have trouble with.
Ok I can make a cable and run it. Makes sense

Kimco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing how this goes. I too have animals and acreage and have thought about doing this.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you insist on a cable to connect that camera consider using shielded cable, properly grounded and with surge suppression as well. Lightning can wreak havoc on your whole LAN if it's not properly protected. Alternately, consider using fiber instead of copper for isolation. That is why I would choose a wireless dedicated encrypted system like the Ubuiquity Nano Loco. Total isolation and no trenching or cable strung in the air. A copper wire strung in the air is like a nice antenna and receives the surges from lightning very well, even if the strike is not in the immediate area.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you do not plan to move the camera's view ..

I would look for a varifocal 8MP with a 1/1.8" or 1/1.2" sensor from Dahua or HIkvision that can handle 30 fps .. ( look for Andy EmpireTecAndy - he should have a list for Dahua's OEM product line .. )

If you need to pivot and tilt .. look for a 8MP PTZ model .. ( be prepared to pay .. )

If you are on a budget .. look for a 1080P ( 2MP ) version .. easier to find 30fps models at a decent deal ..

NoobCamMan

n3wb
Reaction score
If you do not plan to move the camera's view ..

I would look for a varifocal 8MP with a 1/1.8" or 1/1.2" sensor from Dahua or HIkvision that can handle 30 fps .. ( look for Andy EmpireTecAndy - he should have a list for Dahua's OEM product line .. )

If you need to pivot and tilt .. look for a 8MP PTZ model .. ( be prepared to pay .. )

If you are on a budget .. look for a 1080P ( 2MP ) version .. easier to find 30fps models at a decent deal ..
8mp ptz would be nice. Any model numbers you know of?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
8mp ptz would be nice. Any model numbers you know of?
I'm not current with the new models out .. check Andy's posts and recent reviews by members

Look at dahua international website ( not usa ) - and search the PTZ section...