non critical battery operated camera for Blue Iris?

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When we leave for extended periods of time we leave our dog in a crate in the kitchen. I currently have a foscam sitting on a counter pointed at the crate. Its an eye sore, takes up room, etc on the counter. I'd love to mount something up in the corner like an Arlo but I am 99.9% sure those will not work/record with Blue Iris.

Anyone know of a form factor/feature set like Arlo that will allow me to have a wifi battery operated camera mounted on a wall? The wall its an exterior wall, so not easy to run Cat 5 to get a PoE camera in place plus I hope in a few years to renovate the kitchen so I do not want to spend $$$ on running wires or paying someone to do it just for a camera that may sit in this spot for a few years.

Just want color camera, battery operated (~6 month battery would be fine) that works in Blue Iris. I would only record during 1-2 select profiles within BI so the recording would be minimal - basically emergencies only (alarm going off, etc - which I have tied into Control4 so BI can go to that profile)

Any advice?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know this is not what you're looking for but put Nayr's Dahua Mini PTZ up in the corner and wire it for POE. The image will be terrific and you'll be able to see fido's eyes moving in REM sleep.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No battery powered camera will ever work with blue iris. Those cameras rely on a pir sensor to activate the camera then it starts recording...they are normally off...regardless, they all use propriety streaming protocols. Run the cable. You can leave lots of extra slack in the wall so you can move the location later without rerunning it.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No battery powered camera will ever work with blue iris. Those cameras rely on a pir sensor to activate the camera then it starts recording...they are normally off...regardless, they all use propriety streaming protocols. Run the cable. You can leave lots of extra slack in the wall so you can move the location later without rerunning it.
Thanks - that was my fear. The install point would be right next to a cabinet and when we remodel no cabinets will be there so leaving extra slack to move it a bit is not going to help in this situation but I appreciate the idea.

I guess maybe next time my electrician comes over to do some work I can ask about running a cable for me. I've run stuff via my drop ceilings quickly but given this is on an exterior wall and near some cabinets I do not want to mess up; I should seek out some assistance.