Noisy hdd

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a 10tb 7200 purple and it is noisy. So much so I can hear vibration of it writing through the walls of my server closet. I’ve had it for maybe a year. The 4tb it replaced was quiet. It gets on my nerves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Has it always been noisy for the year you have had it?

I've found the WD Reds to not be too noisy.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Run the WD diagnostic util on it and see if it reports any issues.
I’ve done the quick scan on it several times and it’s always come back good. The full scan was always going to take way to long as in days if I remember right.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I e had noisy drives before, Seagates which I complained to Seagate about but they reckoned they were fine, still have and use the drives like some 6+ years later and they are still working fine.

How are the drives mounted? You might be able to mount them with rubber/silicone washers which might help. I have a load of these which I got ages ago and where possible alway use them. If the drive mounts into a cage with screws in to the side it might not be possible.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I e had noisy drives before, Seagates which I complained to Seagate about but they reckoned they were fine, still have and use the drives like some 6+ years later and they are still working fine.

How are the drives mounted? You might be able to mount them with rubber/silicone washers which might help. I have a load of these which I got ages ago and where possible alway use them. If the drive mounts into a cage with screws in to the side it might not be possible.
The drive is in a caddy in a dell optiplex. It didn’t start bothering me until I installed a 20u server rack in my media closet. The rack is mounted to the wall and the optiplex is on a rack shelf. Now it resonates into the studs and the entire wall. So if the house is quiet you can hear that drive working it’s ass off in the living room.