No Smartphone, need IP camera/security suggestions

randyhs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the forum so I hope this right place for this post. All the IP cams I've looked require a Smartphone which I don't have. I like the extra features of Piper and Canary type stand alone systems but they require a Smartphone. I would need at least email alerts with recordings. Thanks. Randy.

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it supports Android, get a $49 Amazon Fire Tablet and use that.

You are looking at cloud cameras. Not really the same as the IP Cams that we talk about here.

randyhs

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 5 year old Asante network IP cam that does everything I want and, I need something similar. I'm not very familiar with cloud cams but, from what I've read, I don't think they'll work for me. I seem to be running into a dead end. It is surprising me I'm having such a hard time finding an IP cam that doesn't require a smartphone. Thanks for the reply.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 5 year old Asante network IP cam that does everything I want and, I need something similar. I'm not very familiar with cloud cams but, from what I've read, I don't think they'll work for me. I seem to be running into a dead end. It is surprising me I'm having such a hard time finding an IP cam that doesn't require a smartphone. Thanks for the reply.
Almost every ip camera will send an alert email with photos. Your video requirement is what makes finding a camera more difficult. You can use third party software running on a pc like blue iris to do this for you.

randyhs

n3wb
Reaction score
My Asante is HTML driven and doesn't require 3rd party SW - you log into the cam with a browser and do everything from it's IP. I've called a couple manufacturers and have been told everything they make requires a smartphone. Maybe if someone could recommend a brand, I'll give them a call.

kozmo2k

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If it supports Android, get a $49 Amazon Fire Tablet and use that.

You are looking at cloud cameras. Not really the same as the IP Cams that we talk about here.
That $49 Fire tablet is total rubbish! Even with a lot of rooting/tweaking/flashing/sorcery, the hardware is weak....

Sent from my mobile communication device.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My Asante is HTML driven and doesn't require 3rd party SW - you log into the cam with a browser and do everything from it's IP. I've called a couple manufacturers and have been told everything they make requires a smartphone. Maybe if someone could recommend a brand, I'll give them a call.
I understand that, you can log into all ip cameras. The issue is that the popular ones cannot email video attachments. Some can ftp video.
I dont know of any cameras off hand that email video attachments.
If you simply want to use one camera, maybe something like a nestcam will work. It can send you an email notification, then you simply log into their website and view the video. There is a perpetual monthly fee.

randyhs

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess I might not be able find another IPcam like my Asante.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess I might not be able find another IPcam like my Asante.
Why do you need it in an email specifically vs ftp? You would check it the same way from your pc, or store the footage locally and log into the camera or nvr/network drive remotely.
Your current camera is likely a low resolution vga camera that produces a subpar image.

randyhs

n3wb
Reaction score
Attaching the 10sec event video to an email means offsite video storage/alerts with no fees. If a burglary occurred, I'm sure my computers would be taken along with any local FTP files. The device neutral HTML and my lack of knowledge are my biggest problems. I was browsing Amazon and Amcrest may have something similar so, I will call them next.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Attaching the 10sec event video to an email means offsite video storage/alerts with no fees. If a burglary occurred, I'm sure my computers would be taken along with any local FTP files. The device neutral HTML and my lack of knowledge are my biggest problems. I was browsing Amazon and Amcrest may have something similar so, I will call them next.
ftp can be offsite. Also, local hidden nas or NVR storage is a much better option as burglars often cut phone/internet lines. They will NOT be searching your house for a network drive or care to take it. This will allow you to retain lots of local high quality footage.
FYI, desktop computers are almost never taken as they are big and bulky and are of little value when offloading. Secure it and you are fine.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
most Hikvision and Dahua cameras have onboard SD storage capabilities, so just save it there and view it with your normal browser at your connivence..

nobody does email video attachments because its not standard, all mail servers get to pick there own maximum size for an attachment and each host is different.. some will only take 1MB files others might take 20MB files.. Either way with modern HD Video cameras, email is antiquated and improper method of transport as even simple videos at very high resolutions are sure to exceed just about everyone's limits.

this is why YouTube/Facebook exists, people cant email GoPro/iPhone cat/baby/viral videos.. it sux

randyhs

n3wb
Reaction score
ftp can be offsite. Also, local hidden nas or NVR storage is a much better option as burglars often cut phone/internet lines. They will NOT be searching your house for a network drive or care to take it. This will allow you to retain lots of local high quality footage.
FYI, desktop computers are almost never taken as they are big and bulky and are of little value when offloading. Secure it and you are fine.
Thanks for info. I don't want to deal with offsite FTP but local storage is desirable. I've been very happy with the email video/alert system I have now. In my own experience, both laptop and desktop will be taken and what's secured will be vandalized for spite. Hiding a NAS drive would require more time than I have at the moment although it's a valid option. Hiding an all-in-one IP cam would be more practical for me considering my circumstances.

randyhs

n3wb
Reaction score
most Hikvision and Dahua cameras have onboard SD storage capabilities, so just save it there and view it with your normal browser at your connivence..

nobody does email video attachments because its not standard, all mail servers get to pick there own maximum size for an attachment and each host is different.. some will only take 1MB files others might take 20MB files.. Either way with modern HD Video cameras, email is antiquated and improper method of transport as even simple videos at very high resolutions are sure to exceed just about everyone's limits.

this is why YouTube/Facebook exists, people cant email GoPro/iPhone cat/baby/viral videos.. it sux
Thanks for the info. I'll check with the manufacturers you mentioned. I've been using my Asante for many years with no email problems receiving 20 second VGA videos of the event. VGA hasn't been a problem since my camera is about 10 feet from the event. Amcrest and Trendnet also list cameras that might work for me.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how big are your VGA clips? I know my 30s quick clips of activity @ 1080p are ~35MB in size.. and thats bigger than what is acceptable to attach attach to emails.

randyhs

n3wb
Reaction score
how big are your VGA clips? I know my 30s quick clips of activity @ 1080p are ~35MB in size.. and thats bigger than what is acceptable to attach attach to emails.
My clips are 20s of AVI at 640 x 480 (VGA) and average around 200KB. The largest file I've seen is around 350KB. I don't remember what codec I selected - probably H.264. My email limit is 25MB inclusive. I think the Asante max resolution is XVGA (1024 x 728) which I had no problem attaching but, I don't remember why I went back to VGA. The clips were probably close to the email limit and took considerably more bandwidth. Since I monitor a small confined area, VGA has worked fine for my needs.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
but people dont buy multi-megapixel HD cameras and then want to email VGA resolution email clips.. thats why nobody else has that feature, your the first person in history to actually want it.

my NVR will push videos to my smart phone when its triggered to, thats the way its done with HD video now days and works quite well.. If you cant use that, then the next best thing would just be playing back the high quality recorded video with a standard browser and simply use email for sending a still jpeg image to indicate there is a recording saved that you can review.

Both HikVision and Dahua can send you a full resolution still image, and record the video to local SD card.. you can get about a full day of 1080p on a 64gb SD card with continuous recording, much more if you have it triggered.

Heck you can even get away with a WiFi cam if all its ever recording to is local storage.

randyhs

n3wb
Reaction score
but people dont buy multi-megapixel HD cameras and then want to email VGA resolution email clips.. thats why nobody else has that feature, your the first person in history to actually want it.

my NVR will push videos to my smart phone when its triggered to, thats the way its done with HD video now days and works quite well.. If you cant use that, then the next best thing would just be playing back the high quality recorded video with a standard browser and simply use email for sending a still jpeg image to indicate there is a recording saved that you can review.

Both HikVision and Dahua can send you a full resolution still image, and record the video to local SD card.. you can get about a full day of 1080p on a 64gb SD card with continuous recording, much more if you have it triggered.

Heck you can even get away with a WiFi cam if all its ever recording to is local storage.
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I'm familiar with most of the options you've described. I don't need to make DVD's from my security alerts so, the economy and efficiency of VGA has worked very well for me - I don't need an HD camera. There are special circumstances, one of which is no local PC will be online. I need video clips emailed to me and, a HTML driven (web server) camera is necessary. On-board storage and sensors would be a plus. I found re-certified Asante Voyagers for under $50 and I may go that way if this research takes too much longer.