No Signal sometimes with webcast

Ultralord

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I installed the blueiris software on my PC in my store and i enable the option webcast, is working in my custom port all is ok..

in second PC dedicate server outside of my local network i install second blue iris software to reshare the signal to be connected from other places because i have bandwith problem if many devices (ios,PC) is connected..

So in second i add cameras from the first Blueiris Ip/Port from webcast in option WM/ASF Stream!! and it works like a charm.. the problem is that so many times the camera of second blueiris lost the signal ( No signal ) message, but some minute after is connected again..

what is the problem how i can solve this? i cant do any work with this problem.. can someone help me? maybe some setting of webcast profile or something?

thanks and waiting any reply..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I think you just have a bandwidth issue. Are you saying that the second machine has a better upload connection thats why you are doing this?
Also you can try streaming direct from the bi server no via the webcast. You can use the path /h264/cam1 to get a Raw H.264 stream from BueIris that you can pull into another instance.

Ultralord

n3wb
Reaction score
because i have the live cams page on my pc and on my parents house and my brothers house.. and i need more bandwith and second pc has..

also how i can stream direct from BI Server? and use (You can use the path /h264/cam1 to get a Raw H.264 stream from BueIris that you can pull into another instance.)

thanks for any info.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I still dont understand (sometimes im slow, lol) the cams are at those 3 locations, yours your parents and your brothers? and u have BI at all three locations?
What is the ultimate goal, what are you trying to accomplish?
To stream direct from server, you enable the webserver in bi and in the remote BI machine use raw h.264 as the camera type.

Ultralord

n3wb
Reaction score
No.. one local pc with cams with BI and web server and one pc with BI again to receive the webcast stream and the clients (me/parents/brother) at home we view from website

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So why cant you all view from the original pc with blue iris? is there not enough bandwidth or is the pc too slow?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
have you tried adjusting the webserver bandwidth? Does your isp offer a faster upload speed?

Ultralord

n3wb
Reaction score
my isp is shit :S isn't possible..

for web server bandwidth i have problems when i connect many cams the image crash and other..

i tried to use foscam on second pc with raw.264 camera type but No signal - 404 Not found :S

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the way it goes is:

family store with cams + blue iris+ local recording + sharing to a second, but remote blue iris machine

the second blueiris machine then reshares the video from machine 1 to two or more other family members for remote viewing

Interesting concept to split the distribution load, but ultimately it makes things needlessly more complex, introduces more choke points and makes it more difficult to troubleshoot and keep things up and running. You've got from the sound of it two basic internet accounts doing more work than they each can handle. What happens when somebody uses the internet at the store? When somebody uses the internet at home where server two is?

My vote is on just increasing bandwidth at the store. Then have people log in as needed to one or two sub feeds.

To lessen the number of feeds (just brain storming here) If you have a permanent multi-view up of the cameras on screen, you could entertain pointing a camera at the screen and resharing that feed, if people must be able to review all cameras in one go. Vs having all feeds distributed and processed to a second system just for the purpose of viewing.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see there was some activity while typing it out with one finger on a tablet.

Let's take a step back. You will need to simplify.

First thing first: How much bandwidth do you have at the store?

Shut down blueiris, open a browser, and run an internet speed test via speedtest.net or such.

That'll tell us how much internet headroom you have.

Ultralord

n3wb
Reaction score
you are correct about my concept.. the second pc is dedicade with 100mbs upload so i can view from many devices if i want ( IOS ) etc... here in greece we have only adel with 1024 upstream so isn't possible for the moment to upgrade the upload..

3 clients are every time connected on the second pc to view the cams.. also in store the internet is only for private and cam use, and if i must do something i disable one cam and do the stuff.. also at home the downstream is higher and i haven't problem to view..

i am thinking that way from the begging for webcast and is perfect but after some minutes signal lost but reconnects after some minutes again the same thing..

maybe i must edit some settings because is custom only the basic setting i do to receive the stream with option WM/ASF stream.

- - - Updated - - -

I see there was some activity while typing it out with one finger on a tablet.

Let's take a step back. You will need to simplify.

How much bandwidth do you have at the store?

Shut down blueiris, open a browser, and run an internet speed test via speedtest.net or such.

That'll tell us how much internet headroom you have.
12mbs/down 1mb/s upload at the moment

also my setup is 2 foscam cams and 2 linksys i don't care for the quality just low and is ok we recognise the people but i want stability

Ultralord

n3wb
Reaction score
if in second pc run blue iris and connect to the cameras with correct options like foscam and for linksys is ok.. but i can't reduce the bandwidth of linksys cams and foscams works better with webcast i like because i make the profile better with less bandwidth and quality

Ultralord

n3wb
Reaction score
is possible to have from PC 1( local machine with BI ) to have webcast stream for all cams together like mms to reshare it after, if i want with windows media service and view from windows media player? for one cam is working webcast if there the option to have webcast stream from all cams

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The limitation really is the 1mpbs upload at the store, which translates to 100-125 KB/s netto upload capacity. That is basically just enough for one single webcam stream. Until that is resolved, your good solution to reliably relay the data from pc 1 to pc2 once, and then redistribute from pc2, cannot be fixed.

100KB/s is enough for a single 320x240 camera stream using h264 compression at average settings.

If you turn the quality down all the way you could get it maybe down to 30 KB/S ... so you have just enough for three really. No matter what you do, you will constantly be at the maximum capacity of a basic internet line ... and likely will have the provider cut you off too, as you're running a server, which violates the terms of service for basic internet hookups.

No way around it, you need more upload internet capacity at the store.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got a sense that what the OP was primarily after, is that the owners / older family members can keep an eye on the store via live view, while the kids or employees are working.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
100KB/s is enough for a single 320x240 camera stream using h264 compression at average settings.
100 KB/s is an excessive amount of bandwidth for such a small stream. I've seen 1080p video encoded at that kind of bit rate with reasonably high frame rates and not looking like total garbage.

I think 1 Mbps can be enough. But there will be compromises.

The bit rate and frame rate both have to be reduced to very low levels. I wouldn't go any higher than 2 FPS. Bit rate should be set low enough that you hit no more than 80 or 90% of your upload capacity. Once you hit 100% you start getting delayed or lost packets and that is where instability kicks in.

Also, if you pull the group composite image "index" then you will get all the video streams combined into one. This way there is less overhead and possibly higher overall frame rate and video quality.

If for any reason the h264 or Windows Media encoding won't run stable at extremely low bit rates, or if the quality is not acceptable, there is always the option of pulling the video in jpeg format. The frame rate would be extremely poor but quality would be okay and there should not be any "no signal" interruptions.

Lastly, I agree the internet provider may complain and/or shut you down if you use the upload heavily for excessively long periods of time like this. Blue Iris is going to be pulling video 24 hours a day, so even if you only view it 8 hours a day you will still be using all your upload bandwidth 24 hours a day. You might consider trying my Camera Proxy app linked in my signature. It will automatically disconnect and stop pulling pictures from the source if nobody is connected and actively viewing them.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, maybe 640x480 at average settings. The resolution I mentioned isn't set in stone as far as max you can do, more of that's pretty much where it'll be guaranteed to work, and I would have to get a bandwidth calculator out; but the point is that 100KB/s is very limiting when it comes to streaming video from several cameras. Our live camera feeds don't get to benefit from post production studio processing with dual frame by frame analysis and variable whatever optimized hd video compression. Stuff happens on the fly and codecs aren't all that efficient depending on the brand etc. <br><br>I wouldn't want to surveil / monitor a retail store at 1FPS. There should be some fluidity. Higher resolution is again more trouble again for the stream to continue and there not to be dropouts. <br><br>But regardless. 100KB/s is a tough limit and the ISP will catch on.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This is for live remote view -- high quality and frame rate shouldn't matter as long as the recordings are still full quality.