No Signal issue

lorenjz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been trying to track down a "No signal" issue with blue iris over the last week. I've increased the buffer to 20mb as well as checked the video settings on the cameras. I also did check into the network card as described on a troubleshooting post on the blue iris forum. I'm fairly certain that it's not cable or network related, I have an instance of motioneye running to reformat the streams to be able to view them through our home automation system and all of the streams are rock solid there.

What else can I do to get this thing working like it should?

Any input or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Loren

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What cameras and how did you bring them into BI - find/inspect or did you try to guess at the streams with the pull down for makes and model?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you successfully access the camera's web GUI via the web browser on the BI machine?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Next thing I would look at is are you overloading the little processor in that camera.

What is the FPS and bitrate?

Sounds like you are streaming to a couple of different devices which adds to the processor demand.

Are you sure they POE switch isn't close to power budget? No signal can come from the cams being underpowered just a tad.

lorenjz

n3wb
Reaction score
Next thing I would look at is are you overloading the little processor in that camera.

What is the FPS and bitrate?

Sounds like you are streaming to a couple of different devices which adds to the processor demand.

Are you sure they POE switch isn't close to power budget? No signal can come from the cams being underpowered just a tad.
They are all set to 15fps. I can dial that back a bit. I can also stop the other service to see if that helps. I did check the POE budget and I've got loads of power supply left in that switch.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah 15FPS should be fine. If you were at 30 and pulling streams to multiple devices, I could certainly see that being a potential issue.

Yeah try stopping the other service and see if it goes away. Maybe you need to pull a 2nd or 3rd stream resolution to the other service?

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a similar issue recently where a camera suddenly started dropping its signal. After changing the cable ends, testing with other cameras, etc, I finally diagnosed the issue as IP address related. In my router the DHCP reservation range was from 1 to 101 and the ip for my trouble cam was 100. I had not separately reserved 100 for the trouble cam. As the address slots filled up I assume the router was trying to push new devices to the 100 address. I changed the IP for the cam outside the reservation range and my problem was solved.

lorenjz

n3wb
Reaction score
I had a similar issue recently where a camera suddenly started dropping its signal. After changing the cable ends, testing with other cameras, etc, I finally diagnosed the issue as IP address related. In my router the DHCP reservation range was from 1 to 101 and the ip for my trouble cam was 100. I had not separately reserved 100 for the trouble cam. As the address slots filled up I assume the router was trying to push new devices to the 100 address. I changed the IP for the cam outside the reservation range and my problem was solved.
I appreciate the thought but I've got all my cameras on static addresses.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My camera had a static address also when I had this issue, it's just that the camera's address was within the IP range that the router assigned other IP addresses to newly connected devices. The setup was in a rental property so new devices were connecting all the time. It was a real stumper--even replaced the cam thinking that was the issue.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are your cameras going thru the router or are they on a dual NIC or VLAN managed switch?

lorenjz

n3wb
Reaction score
Are your cameras going thru the router or are they on a dual NIC or VLAN managed switch?
All of the cameras live on a separated VLAN. I have two NICs setup on the VM that hosts Blue Iris, one that carries the security camera VLAN, and one that carries our "normal" network traffic. I have a PFSense machine that is responsible for the routing of our network and an aruba managed switch that supplies POE and has all of the cameras assigned to the security vlan.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
NO signal....I thought you could get that if you fooled the camera with a black screen on a dark setting like for LPR...

lorenjz

n3wb
Reaction score
True, but he didn't say it was for LPR and I think those Amcrest are fixed lens cameras?
Correct the cameras are not reading license plates and they are fix

Yeah 15FPS should be fine. If you were at 30 and pulling streams to multiple devices, I could certainly see that being a potential issue.

Yeah try stopping the other service and see if it goes away. Maybe you need to pull a 2nd or 3rd stream resolution to the other service?
I did try stopping the other service but that didn't have any affect on the performance of blue iris.

lorenjz

n3wb
Reaction score
That IP range is set specifically for the cameras and the server doesn't hand out addresses in that range.

Last edited:

x-man

n3wb
Reaction score
I have same problem with BI 5 and some time I am looking for solution, I do some short test with BI 4 and look like all working fine and no NO SIGNAL errors!

Before I test it with BI 4 I try to use new switch, new cables, stopped all other software but still problem exist!

Look like BI 5 have some bug for some systems...

Also I must to note that NO SIGNAL error in my case is very short max 2-3 seconds and it is random for all my cameras and in 20 minutes I have maybe 15 errors but this is very big problem because with every error BI skip some recording time and that is not just 2-3 seconds...

Last edited:

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have same problem with BI 5 and some time I am looking for solution, I do some short test with BI 4 and look like all working fine and no NO SIGNAL errors!

Before I test it with BI 4 I try to use new switch, new cables, stopped all other software but still problem exist!

Look like BI 5 have some bug for some systems...

Also I must to note that NO SIGNAL error in my case is very short max 2-3 seconds and it is random for all my cameras and in 20 minutes I have maybe 15 errors but this is very big problem because with every error BI skip some recording time and that is not just 2-3 seconds...
Exactly what version of BI5 are you on? I ask because I also suffered with this issue for a period of time corresponding to the releases from roughly mid-September through late October. I chased it many ways on both the hardware and cabling side as well as looking for a software explanation, but the results were inconclusive, until about early November when it stopped being a problem entirely. Hmm....

x-man

n3wb
Reaction score
Now I using latest version and I don`t know when it was started but with every new version I have this problem...