No ports forwared= safe?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm just hitting the nvr locally when I'm home in gdmss with no open ports. Safe or safer? I've had the dvr off the internet for a long time but it would be nice to at least look at it locally. Advice?

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that you still need to open a tcp port if you are going to view locally on a mobile app or smart pss

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
probably not if your mobile is connected to the local wifi rather than going over the air on the mobile data connection. I use my smartphone that way if I'm in range or over vpn if not and it works fine with the same IP details. Best to block the camera and NVR IP's from being able to access the internet by setting up firewall rules though so they aren't making outbound connections you aren't in control of.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't have ports forwarded- works fine regardless. Local wifi connection. I'll check on the firewall. Tx.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just hitting the nvr locally when I'm home in gdmss with no open ports. Safe or safer? I've had the dvr off the internet for a long time but it would be nice to at least look at it locally. Advice?
Hi Shockwave199,

Safer... only safer. No such think as safe if connected to the internet.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
probably not if your mobile is connected to the local wifi rather than going over the air on the mobile data connection. I use my smartphone that way if I'm in range or over vpn if not and it works fine with the same IP details. Best to block the camera and NVR IP's from being able to access the internet by setting up firewall rules though so they aren't making outbound connections you aren't in control of.
If you are using gdmss or idmss, you are entering the port that is configured on the recorder into the port field on the app, just not forwarding the port to the recorder in your router.