No perfect PoE doorbell

bemak187

n3wb
Reaction score
There seems to be no ideal PoE doorbells from the likes of Dahua and HikVision etc. I have a Dahua IP camera system and would love to replace my Ring doorbell with something I could integrate with that. There also seems to be a lack of options for internal chimes. Most of these have screens and cost too much. I don't have a mechanical doorbell chime but Ring do simple plug in chimes (or there is an Alexa skill to make echo devices into chimes). Doorbird gets close but those can get expensive fast and I am not sure how well they integrate with an existing system. Used Dahua as example as that's what I have but what I would like to see:

Works just like an IP camera, PoE powered directly from one of the PoE ports on my NVR with 24/7 recording

Doesn't have a crippled camera and has proper IP camera features like smart motion detection etc.

IR lights that are on all the time at night not only when the doorbell is pressed

Alerts and two way talk/video via DMMS smart phone app

Option for cheap internal wifi or PoE chimes

Cost something like £200 - £400. Aware something like this would cost more than IP Cam but I would be happy to pay for something from Dahua that was fully integrated with my system.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem that doorbell cameras have is stuffing so much into such a small package. Yes, chips can hold a lot of devices in small spaces, but when you start adding a moderate CPU, memory and auxiliary processor(s) to perform specific tasks it does take space, power and heat dissipation. The best solution, right now anyway, seems to be a small turret style camera a conventional doorbell and a smart VMS system.

bemak187

n3wb
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem that doorbell cameras have is stuffing so much into such a small package. Yes, chips can hold a lot of devices in small spaces, but when you start adding a moderate CPU, memory and auxiliary processor(s) to perform specific tasks it does take space, power and heat dissipation. The best solution, right now anyway, seems to be a small turret style camera a conventional doorbell and a smart VMS system.
I agree for the smaller doorbells (ie the ones the size of a Ring doorbell) but the slightly larger door stations I would assume have sufficient size to accommodate?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you ever seen the insides of a typical PoE camera with all the features we'd all like in a doorbell? Heck, the PoE board is bigger than a doorbell camera. Then there's another board for the camera electronics that's even bigger. Until chip integration advances a lot more I think we're stuck with a discrete camera and doorbell if we want good video and performance.

bemak187

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you ever seen the insides of a typical PoE camera with all the features we'd all like in a doorbell? Heck, the PoE board is bigger than a doorbell camera. Then there's another board for the camera electronics that's even bigger. Until chip integration advances a lot more I think we're stuck with a discrete camera and doorbell if we want good video and performance.
Would the flush mount type units not be a possible solution to this? Larger footprint unit and put the electronics in the section which is sunk into the wall rather than a giant surface mount box. Realise this makes install MUCH harder for most though.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Even a flush mount would be pretty large. There are a few that will do everything plus provide card readers and lock releases, but they are not even close to being able to be used as a replacement for a typical doorbell. The enclosures are three inches wide and five or six inches high plus an inch or more thick. Lots of stuff in there and no wasted spaces of any significance. We're looking for a Unicorn.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
POE and residential doorbell cameras just aren't a thing right now. That's because very few residences are wired with a network cable to the doorbell. Instead, they are wired with typical doorbell wire run back to a transformer. Until the wiring scheme changes and a homerun network cable becomes the norm, manufactures simply aren't going to spend the R&D money on something that 99% of the buyers of doorbell cameras can't use. It's a classic Catch-22 situation.

As noted, if you get into industrial and multifamily devices, there are more options because the wiring in those installations isn't the same as a residential setting and having a network cable available is the norm.

Last edited:

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are there any preferred Doorbells ? Wireless or Wired?

I was leaning towards getting this:
Anker Eufy 2K HD Video Doorbell $100

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
My buddy got jealous. Ordered him one.
No Bueno on his Step sons 5GHZ Google nest 3 pack wifi setup. Ordered the new 4mp one. Works on both freq’s. 2.4& 5 Ghz
Wasnt about to tear into a rats nest of reconfigs on a family of 5’s Home internet.
which their stepson who works at Xfinity as an installer setup for them.
the delivery is Saturday. I left the SD card reader hanging out the front of the PC last nite. broke the SD card in half this morning moving the office chair into the PC. :banghead:

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
What they dont tell you is Formatting a large capacity card to FAT 32 doesn't come easy. I had to download a partition manager to get it formatted Fat32.
tried cmd line
Disk Part
List disk
Sel D
List Partitions
Sel Part 1
Format fs = Fat32 quick

comes back
As error volume too big.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
What they dont tell you is Formatting a large capacity card to FAT 32 doesn't come easy. I had to download a partition manager to get it formatted Fat32.
tried cmd line
Disk Part
List disk
Sel D
List Partitions
Sel Part 1
Format fs = Fat32 quick

comes back
As error volume too big.
Windows is always a PITA for formatting things in a non-ntfs format. Thats when I connect it to my mac, or I have linux mint running on an old atom-based netbook

Reaction score
Greeting! In the last month I have changed 3 intercoms. Two wires, first faulty, second buzzing. Third is wifi, but no luck. Now I decided to buy wifi. Again. I think there are enough signals. Bought Hikvision 6311, A buggy version, go back to store. I read that the B version also has problems.

I have now found the Dahua VTO2211G-WP. It works ok on yt. But I find no positive or negative comments online. I'm looking for something affordable, and it rings on both iOS and older Android tablets. Is it possible to set it to ring on my mobile phone (iOs) regardless of whether I am at home, and on my daughter's mobile phone iOs rings only when it is at home, connected to wifi? I would ask for an opinion for the listed device, or some other suggestion. The electricity goes through the wire and the connection is wifi.
I greet you very much!

Reaction score
tried cmd line
Disk Part
List disk
Sel D
List Partitions
Sel Part 1
Format fs = Fat32 quick

comes back
As error volume too big.

Yes, I just discovered this when formatting a 64 gb microsd for a Honeywell Tuxedow touchpad. I finally used this and it worked like a charm.

AOMEI Partition Assistant

Reaction score
Is there a universal application for the VTO where I would locally add Dahua, which has a full screen call as a notification, like viber, messinger, hangout…?

TundraCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Windows is always a PITA for formatting things in a non-ntfs format. Thats when I connect it to my mac, or I have linux mint running on an old atom-based netbook
We're pretty much an all macOS environment now (w/ Security Spy for DVR which has worked great). I'd forgotten about this bit of PITA w/ Windows.