No more DST!

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Most clocks, automatic adjustment clocks, let you select DST or not.
From the Emerson Smartset manual:

Daylight Saving and Leap Year Adjustments
All Daylight Saving and Leap Year adjustment are made automatically by the SmartSet
internal computer as follow:
Start of Daylight Saving time:
At 2:00 AM on the 2nd Sunday in March, the clock will automatically advance to 3:00 AM
End of Daylight Saving time:
At 3:00 AM on the 1st Sunday in November, the clock will automatically reset to 2:00 AM

No mention of a way to turn it off. If this law passes I can try manually setting the time and seeing if it will stick.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
From the Emerson Smartset manual:

Daylight Saving and Leap Year Adjustments
All Daylight Saving and Leap Year adjustment are made automatically by the SmartSet
internal computer as follow:
Start of Daylight Saving time:
At 2:00 AM on the 2nd Sunday in March, the clock will automatically advance to 3:00 AM
End of Daylight Saving time:
At 3:00 AM on the 1st Sunday in November, the clock will automatically reset to 2:00 AM

No mention of a way to turn it off. If this law passes I can try manually setting the time and seeing if it will stick.
I don’t understand how they would expect you to use that clock in Arizona or Hawaii if DST can’t be disabled.

Edit: Here you go. They will have to release another set of instructions to deal with this change if it passes. Daylight Savings Time Updates | Emerson Radio

Reaction score
I live right at the boundary of Central Time and Mountain Time.

For me during DST, there is still sunset twilight visible at 11PM the 3rd week of June. If skies are clear on the solstice night of June 21-22, there is an oh-so-slight glow that just rotates around from that NW sunset spot to the sunrise spot in the NorthEast sky
This is at about 10:40pm on June 25, 2018.
1647739458281.png

We used to like doing "Outdoor Movie Night" with a projector when we lived in Commiefornia.... not really possible here until Fall without having the movie end VERY late. Regular time all year gets my vote.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Senate passed a bill yesterday that would eliminate the DST roll back and forward time.

However, it still need to go to the House and if passed, then to the President desk.

About time!
Why not just split the difference and spring forward only a half hour permanently. I think the main issue is kids going to school in the dark.

I wonder the sun difference at the opposite ends of each time zone. The eastern end gets shorted evening daylight. Maybe add another time zone.

Have any of our brilliant politicians proposed a permanent 1/2hr spring forward?

Last edited:

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m all for DST. I’m just against the time change twice a year.

I believe we are in DST right now. This is the time I like keeping. That extra hour of light in the evening is nice to get work done.

I’m ok if it doesn’t get light until 9am in the morning, I like the light longer in the evening.
They had a bill in California a few years ago but deceptively worded it to confuse voters. It would have kept us in the spring forward state, but didn’t pass because of the way they worded it. I would say, deep down, everyone wants more sunlight after the typical work day hours.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m all for DST. I’m just against the time change twice a year.

I believe we are in DST right now. This is the time I like keeping. That extra hour of light in the evening is nice to get work done.

I’m ok if it doesn’t get light until 9am in the morning, I like the light longer in the evening.
Kids going to school in the dark…not good.

Or change the school start time for part of the year.