No more DST!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Whatever they decide is OK with me....just leave it alone and quit movin' it back and forth, for cryin' out loud!

Just my 2 cents 5 cents (inflation! ). :confused:
Of course it isn't over when they kill off DST. Then congress has to deal with all the "bring back DST" movements that will inevitably follow.

Reaction score
While you're wishing DST goes away, consider that if it does that in the dead of winter it won't be getting light out until 0900. If anything I think standard time would be the best option.
People forget that we tried year-round DST back in 1974-75, and gave it up. Year-round DST seems like a great idea when the days are long and the nights are short. Come next winter, a lot of people living in northern latitudes will have severe buyer's remorse. Getting up, getting the kids to school, then going to work yourself in the dark loses its thrill. You'll have people demanding to change it back.

In my opinion, the real flaw with DST is that it starts too early and ends too late. Starting it in early March is counterproductive; the days aren't long enough yet. Putting it back to a late April start date would be far more sensible. By then dawn is early enough where few will miss moving the daylight hour from the morning to the evening. In particular, once school is out for the summer, DST works great. But in the winter it is a disaster.

Mark my words - if year-round DST gets approved at the federal level, it will last (at most) two years before people demand to go back to standard time in the winter, with some states making the transition on their own.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
People either go to work when it's dark or come home when it's work. City life of spending 1-3 hours on a train or vehicle. Gonna happen regardless.
Same as kids getting on the bus. Spend 1-3 hours depending on traffic and other factors, kids are going to be getting on or off the bus when it's dark.

I live up north, much rather have the extra day at night. At least then I can get things done outside with light still available.

They REALLY need to get this passed and be done with it.

Reaction score
People either go to work when it's dark or come home when it's work. City life of spending 1-3 hours on a train or vehicle. Gonna happen regardless.
Same as kids getting on the bus. Spend 1-3 hours depending on traffic and other factors, kids are going to be getting on or off the bus when it's dark.

I live up north, much rather have the extra day at night. At least then I can get things done outside with light still available.

They REALLY need to get this passed and be done with it.
Having lived in Vermont myself, "mushroom season" was regarded as much more tolerable when you had the extra daylight hour in the morning. What will really push the issue is kids going to school long before the sun rises. Parents hate that.

Like I said, we've tried this before. People don't change. The same objections will arise as they did 40+ years ago, and year-round DST will eventually be repealed if enacted.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
While you're wishing DST goes away, consider that if it does that in the dead of winter it won't be getting light out until 0900. If anything I think standard time would be the best option.

Plus the number of clocks that "self adjust" is getting larger and larger. Only the basic ones, like our mantel clock, the clock on the old stove and in the microwave need adjustment. Heck, even modern alarm clock/radios adjust themselves either from NBS or sub channels on AM and FM. Even my watch corrects itself.
Yes we have clocks that automatically change DST. I guess if they pass this it means we will have to change these clocks to the real time twice a year or get new clocks, our clocks don't have the option to cancel this feature.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes we have clocks that automatically change DST. I guess if they pass this it means we will have to change these clocks to the real time twice a year or get new clocks, our clocks don't have the option to cancel this feature.
Your clocks can't be made to just be "dumb" clocks? As in, you set the time and that is it?

Hawaii and Arizona don't even have DST. What if you use your clocks in those two states?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
People forget that we tried year-round DST back in 1974-75, and gave it up. Year-round DST seems like a great idea when the days are long and the nights are short. Come next winter, a lot of people living in northern latitudes will have severe buyer's remorse. Getting up, getting the kids to school, then going to work yourself in the dark loses its thrill. You'll have people demanding to change it back.

In my opinion, the real flaw with DST is that it starts too early and ends too late. Starting it in early March is counterproductive; the days aren't long enough yet. Putting it back to a late April start date would be far more sensible. By then dawn is early enough where few will miss moving the daylight hour from the morning to the evening. In particular, once school is out for the summer, DST works great. But in the winter it is a disaster.

Mark my words - if year-round DST gets approved at the federal level, it will last (at most) two years before people demand to go back to standard time in the winter, with some states making the transition on their own.
I think 74 and 75 was just an extended DST. They started it in January of 74, but still turned the clocks back in late October? They did February in 75, but still adjusted them back in late October? I was a kid in Middle school back then. I don't even remember those events. As an adult today, I go to work in the morning in the dark, work all day in a building without windows and in the winter months, go home in the dark, also. The only time I get to see sunshine is 2 days on the weekend, provided there is sunshine and not rain or snow. I know my brain will like the lack of jockeying clock times twice a year.