No IR at night

mewop

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a b5442-ze that was previously working great. Without changing any settings, the night image has turned nearly black. The only image I have currently is from a neighbor's lights across the street. The image looks fine during the day. I can see the IR LED on the front of the camera at night and I can also see the IR light on another camera that has an overlapping field of vision (second photo). I have done a full factory reset but still very dark at night time. Shutter speed does not matter if set to auto or slowest speed. Can make image black with faster speed (as expected). I suspect this is some type of hardware issue. I am puzzled as to why the daytime image would look fine (i.e no stuck IR filter) but night is like the IR LED are not on yet I can clearly see they are.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mine does that as well on occasion. No real reason that I can figure. I go into profile management and change it to the day and hit save 3 times, then refresh, then change back to night profile and it usually gets it going again, and if not it usually works itself out the next day.

mewop

n3wb
Reaction score
No luck on trying that - maybe will work tomorrow like it does for you. I have to think that is just toggling the IR on and off? The IR filter is not over the lens at night correct? Otherwise it would filter out the IR light? I have also tried power cycling several times as well

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it isn't the filter, I think the gain somehow is getting stuck on a low setting. My one 5442 I run it in 24/7 color so the filter isn't moving and that is the one it happens to the most.

mewop

n3wb
Reaction score
No dice on all of the above. Any use in disassembly to see if I can find anything?

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You did tap on it a few times, right (while its on, of course)? With it in the dark too?
Also changing (and saving) it back and forth from day mode to night mode a few times?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a 5442 bullet sorta do that, except I run color 24/7. I think I updated FW that fixed it.
I run the camera at 1/120 manual at night but many nights it would look very dark. I finally took snapshots and changed exposure around each time, and it turns out it matched the snapshot for 1/250.

After playing with it a while I discovered it was reverting to 1/250 each time I logged out of the camera. The exposure setting showed 1/120 but it was clearly 1/250. By changing it to Auto and back to manual and saving it held, but it got to where I was having to do this 3-4 nights per week.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
In the absence of a physical reset button, might be worth the effort to log all you settings, then perform a factory reset of the camera via the GUI