no audio from Dahua IP camera microphone

rbdining

n3wb
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Dahua system components, comprising:
4off ipc-hdw3849hp-as-pv 8MP IP cameras and a DHI-NVR4104HS-P-4KS2

I am configuring the system on the bench before installation and I have come across a problem that has me confused.

I am using the following setup .

NVR connected to monitor via HDMI
NVR connected to local network.
A camera connected to NVR via CAT 5e cable (other cables on pigtail cable are not connected)

I can view the camera from the web interface, DMSS iphone app and NVR display.

The video feed seems OK and when I select the Talk function, I can talk through the camera speaker, but I can hear nothing apart from static noise from the camera microphone.
I also do not hear anything when using the speaker icon (neither on nor off)

I have turned on audio in the NVR. I have tried both the config tool, and the NVR interface.

I have tried a second camera to confirm it was not a hardware fault.

What am I doing wrong?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to turn the audio on in the camera. Use the browser icon in the NVR config page to get to that. If that doesn't provide the full menu system of the camera, connect a PC to the "network" port of the NVR and use Internet Explorer to access the full GUI of the camera.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was doing this very thing today with my new Dahua and HikVision cameras. I found that I also had to match the "audio encoding" setting that was on the camera with BI. So if my camera said "G.711u" I had to select that in BI as well. I got the HikVision camera working, pretty cool! But the Dahua is still not working. I am thinking that my particular version (Dahua) does not have a microphone built in.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
8MP Starlight POE IP Camera OEM IPC-HFW2831T-ZAS-S2, 2.7mm–13.5mm,5X Vari-Focal Zoom,60m IR Bullet Camera

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking at the specs it shows an audio in and audio out. Generally with Dahua that means it needs an external microphone for audio. The actual requirement is an amplified microphone like this one plugged into the audio in port of the wiring harness.

Micro Seven Microphne

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, you reference two different cameras.

The ipc-hdw3849hp-as-pv active deterrence has two-way talk capability built in.

The IPC-HFW2831T-ZAS-S2 needs external speaker and mic with power as @sebastiantombs mentions

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yeah, misleading advertising, but that is ok! The HikVision is inside and will be used to listen when we are away. Running a mic and power to the Dahua (outside on the garage) is not as important. Dodged a bullet! (pun intended as the Dahua is a bullet and the HikVision is a dome)

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is the HikVision installed. It is tucked under the counter top overhang. I want to do a second camera that points the other direction towards the back door (visible in the top right corner of the picture), but waiting for the WAF (wife acceptance factor) limit to not trigger : )
The intention for this camera is strictly to monitor house sitters, monitor pet traffic, etc. I needed an angle on the front door and this is the only place I could find that allowed for that angle of view. So far my wife seems ok, the camera is very small, but she commented that she would like it better if it were even smaller.
I spent this afternoon running the CAT6 from the basement POE switch up through the cabinets and out to the under hang

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it misleading advertising. More like not paying close enough attention to the specs. I sort of fell into the same trap, expecting audio from a Dahua bullet, and then went back and read the spec sheet to find that there is no built-in microphone.

I have a camera mounted in the kitchen, too. Mine is mounted under the top cabinets say about two feet higher than under the counter top. It still cuts off heads of taller people. I may move it, someday, to on top of the frig to get better views.

rbdining

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to turn the audio on in the camera. Use the browser icon in the NVR config page to get to that. If that doesn't provide the full menu system of the camera, connect a PC to the "network" port of the NVR and use Internet Explorer to access the full GUI of the camera.
I am pretty sure that the camera audio is turned on.
I have toggled it on in the NVR user interface (NVR connected via hmdi to monitor), on main and sub-streams.
I have tried the browser icon/internet explorer, but the options are the same.
However, plugging the NVR into a PC via a network cable and using "config tool", only shows the IP address of the NVR. I haven't been able to get the cameras to show up separately.
I have tried modifying the camera IP address to bring it in the same range as the NVR, but with no luck.

I'm sure it must be something simple.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
so you have 4 x ipc-hdw3849hp-as-pv, you tested two of them, one worked and one didn't work ?

have you tried to do a hard/master reset on the non-working camera yet by pressing the button under the cover long enough ?

rbdining

n3wb
Reaction score
so you have 4 x ipc-hdw3849hp-as-pv, you tested two of them, one worked and one didn't work ?

have you tried to do a hard/master reset on the non-working camera yet by pressing the button under the cover long enough ?
I have tested two cameras ( ipc-hdw3849hp-as-pv : built in mic), but neither work (same result- no microphone audio). I only tested the second to see if the first had a fault.

rbdining

n3wb
Reaction score
I will mention that I purchased the cameras from Aliexpress (China), and therefore Dahua UK won't give any technical help/advice.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
@rbdining Again, you need to turn audio on in the camera itself. To do that you need to get into the web GUI of the camera. Under settings click on audio on the right side, then make sure audio is turned on, the gain is at maximum and the noise filter is off.

One more comment. DO NOT try to upgrade the firmware in those cameras. Chances are if you do so they will either brick or revert to Chinese. If you bought them from EmpireTech they can be upgraded since they sell authentic International versions of Dahua cameras.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've bought from cameras from andy, his amazon store and his aliexpress store.. however i think nothing wong with buying from other vendors in aliexpress.. but usual due dilligence is required before purchasing.. eg. buy 1 instead of 4 to test first see their delivery time and evaluate product first before purchasing more.

re audio problem.. This camera audio is default to "line in" not mic ..
go to web interface and select mic if u havent done so.

1620942555439.png

rbdining

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, both.
@sebastiantombs
@holiday

I finally managed to figure out how to get to the camera web interface.
Previously I was only connecting via the NVR and some of the more detailed settings, such as the microphone are not present.
You were correct, that it was defaulted to LineIn, rather than mic.
Strange that the built-in was not the default and that the setting is so hard to find. It's almost as if Dauha do not want DIYers/amateurs installing their systems.
Thank you both again. The microphone works fine now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As most of us here know, the Dahua and Hikvisions of the world do not cater to the "consumer" market - their target audience is professional installers, so we are considered "prosumer" and we are fortunate to get our hands on these types of cameras instead of consumer grade junk and not having to go thru professional installers to get quality gear. Now the downside is we get them at a discount and without manuals and support and thus are on our own to figure it out. We are fortunate a forum like this exists to help with that. We do not exist in their world and that is their business model and they made the business decision to not compete with the Rings and Nests and Reolinks of the world and as such to do offer these cameras at box stores for consumers to purchase directly. They cater to the professional installers...and would tell you to contact the vendor you got them from if you have questions...

Contrast that with consumer grade cameras. You can call a Night Owl or Arlo or Reolink or Lorex or Amcrest or DLink or Google Nest or Ring and speak to a representative (now whether they can help you or not is another story) and for most novice callers they provide good customer service, but they will not tell you to talk to Best Buy where you purchased it...and several of these cost the same or more as Dahua or Hikvision...

I suspect the audio is off by default due to many jurisdictions and/or countries they ship cameras to are not allowed to record sound...

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
" not allowed to record sound... "
Yes, if you google on this subject you will find that in many US states it is highly illegal to record audio (and is probably true in other countries as well), but interestingly, video is not subject to such restrictions in general