Night vision looks dusty

Reaction score
I have a dome camera attached to the end of my eaves pointed at my driveway. It looks great at night but when the night vision comes on it looks like the dome is covered by dust. I pulled the dome off, cleaned the inside and outside and lens but nothing changes. Now I’m thinking it is a reflection from the ir light. I have another done camera that is the same model pointed at my front door mounted to the same eaves and I see a little bit it’s not as bad as the driveway. Before I do anything else, has anyone ever seen this? I attached a picture of my driveway at night. Thanks

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a problem with domes at night, IR reflections in the dome as it degrades.. You can fix this most easily by installing a separate IR light. Either use a PoE splitter or pull a suitable 16/2 or 18/2 to the location. I'd do the wire pull, personally, since it sounds like you'll be needing two there, one for each camera.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Check the foam ring that's typically around the lens to help isolate from the IR. They can fall of or degrade. Then the image will look bad like that. Or on some cheap cams there just isn't any isolation. You can try to cut your own out of a piece of craft foam if it needs to be replaced.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Definitely check the foam ring, adding some extra foam is an easy test to see if that solves it.

I've encountered an issue where the desiccant pack inside a camera was no longer effective and caused a similar problem. I replaced it with a new one and the problem went away. You can buy them from Amazon, just make sure you get the appropriate size.