Night view issue

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Trying to see how i can improve my side camera. Its mounted towards the rear of my house side and it looks like IR is being reflected from the brick.

Here is a picture of the camera:
K9P22Zol.jpg

I flipped the camera upside down to move IR to the side opposite of the brick wall. It made it slightly better.
here is a screenshot:
Capture.JPG

Any ideas what else i can do to improve it?

Thanks

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Point the camera away from the wall.
Problem is then it captures more of my neighbor then my property. my property width is only 6 feet from the wall. You can see it ends where fence begins on the right bottom side

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
either find a way bring the camera farther out from the wall, or disable/nuke the onboard IR and go with external lighting..

realistically though with that lens and location, even if you light up that big dark area.. its too far away to get enough pixels for a good ID.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Does you camera have BLC settings? Mine is in the backlight area of the image options. I had a similar situation and was able to improve it quite a bit by playing around with the BLC settings but I don't know if your camera has this or not.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
either find a way bring the camera farther out from the wall, or disable/nuke the onboard IR and go with external lighting..

realistically though with that lens and location, even if you light up that big dark area.. its too far away to get enough pixels for a good ID.
I'm going to add another camera in the middle. Going to go with dahua mini ptz.

Will this work better?
mount.png

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am sure a mount like that would help at the very least, if it did not rid you of the problem.. I guess its going to depend alot on how powerful that IR is and the spread.

Last edited by a moderator:

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the dahua mini PTs is not ip66 rated and should be protected from elements if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed, my outdoor one wont see a drop of water unless my house is demolished by a storm.. but I live in the desert and Fog is pretty friggin rare.. but biblical flooding and epic rain storms do happen from time to time.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the dahua mini PTs is not ip66 rated and should be protected from elements if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed, my outdoor one wont see a drop of water unless my house is demolished by a storm.. but I live in the desert and Fog is pretty friggin rare.. but biblical flooding and epic rain storms do happen from time to time.
Yep. I posted this before and did a paper test.
I have this thing on the side of the house, pretty much in the middle.
XPjIMDil.jpg

going to mount it underneath it. Did a paper test for few days including rain and paper stayed dry

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
"Here", that little square thing won't do anything to protect an indoor camera from the elements. Get an outdoor one for there unless you like replacing cameras. If we don't get an inch of rain every two weeks in the summer it's a mini-drought and we get several 4-6 inch or greater events a year. Plus fog, drizzle, regular rain, snow, freezing rain, driving sleet, blizzards, etc. Oh yeah, and occasionally some sun.

As for your other camera, flip it 90 degrees and angle it down a hair so that it covers less of your wall and your neighbour, plus still covers the far end of the lane and more below the camera as well. You'll have to flip your screen in the settings as well, but it'll match the long lane much better. When you angle it out a bit from your wall, you've got less side view (originally your top view) to intrude on your neighbour. If you still need to give them more privacy to get the angle you want, set up a privacy block in the camera's firmware so that the camera doesn't see/record inside their fence. That might avoid you having to remount it on a spacer or arm bracket.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"Here", that little square thing won't do anything to protect an indoor camera from the elements. Get an outdoor one for there unless you like replacing cameras. If we don't get an inch of rain every two weeks in the summer it's a mini-drought and we get several 4-6 inch or greater events a year. Plus fog, drizzle, regular rain, snow, freezing rain, driving sleet, blizzards, etc. Oh yeah, and occasionally some sun.

As for your other camera, flip it 90 degrees and angle it down a hair so that it covers less of your wall and your neighbour, plus still covers the far end of the lane and more below the camera as well. You'll have to flip your screen in the settings as well, but it'll match the long lane much better. When you angle it out a bit from your wall, you've got less side view (originally your top view) to intrude on your neighbour. If you still need to give them more privacy to get the angle you want, set up a privacy block in the camera's firmware so that the camera doesn't see/record inside their fence. That might avoid you having to remount it on a spacer or arm bracket.
Nice idea. Will defintely try it. Ye I'll probably get an outdoor camera. but that Dahua looks very good and good reviews. To bad they didn't add ip66

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just flipped the camera. Looks good in web GUI but blue iris can't seem to get a lock on the orientation. Keeps displaying distorted screen. Just posted into Blue Iris thread to see if i can fix it.

Here is what it looks like in the gui.

Screenshot 2016-03-10 13.53.51.png

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
just 'touch' the camera settings page in BI (ie, have BI reconnect to it) and it should notice the change in format.
at least that's how it's worked with my various 'corrider-mode' cams. your alley view is similar to my driveway...
Screenshot from 2016-03-10 11:22:33.png

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tried it - doesn't work this is what it looks like:

side-distorted.PNG

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
is it 3MP or 4MP? if 3mp, try setting cam to 3MP mode (4x3) instead of 2MP (1080p @ 16.9).
i run a bunch of 3MP sideways like this, but all in 4x3 mode.

nm, i see in the other thread it's a 4MP. I have no experience with those...

Last edited by a moderator:

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4mp Turret. where is the setting you are talking about? BI4 or camera gui?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
The 4x3 setting should be in the camera web GUI. Try deleting the cam and adding it back to Blue Iris after writing down all your settings?

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't delete it, but did add as new camera. same issue

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Though actually, I don't remember the 4 megapixel turret having a 4 x 3 mode.