Night Light source

kuzco

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,
I have several Dahua IP cameras (5442T, *-TM, 2231T) in use and I am very satisfied with them. However, I would like to have better night vision for one or the other location. This is not to say that the cameras provide a poor image, but it could perhaps be a little better. Maybe it's also a matter of settings!
Can anyone recommend a good light source that can either be positioned next to the camera or perhaps a little further away?

KR
roland

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're looking for visible light, I highly recommend these:

Mine are about right for my location. They do sell more and less powerful models.

People here like to mock me, and I don't mind, but our place looks much more appealing (we operate an Airbnb) and the videos from my 4K/X are excellent.

Just be aware that I had to set my night time shutter to 1/120 as the LEDs harmonize with the 60Hz AC frequency.

See my post for videos:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
+1 ^^^^^

* And you know I only mess with you about your lights in fun. That and I'm jealous!
Oh, I know it's all in good fun. I wish everyone had neighbours as tolerant as mine. Of course, it helps when the two streetlights on either end of my property haven't been working for years!

I've only had compliments which is great. Also makes our Airbnb guests feel more comfortable arriving late at night having had several mojitos!

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you personally use these? I was looking at them and wondered how they perform despite their small size?

Reaction score

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you personally use these? I was looking at them and wondered how they perform despite their small size?
I use both the 10w and 20w versions and have had no complaints.

My backyard has no light other than camera IR and the Tendelux floods. There are cameras with the floods near the front gate, but their IR is turned off.

Rear Floods.jpg

kuzco

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the recommendation of Tendelux DI10, however I have not found any dealer in germany and the shipping cost of amazon.com is very expensive.

kuzco

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In #2 was the question about visible or IR-light.
Does it make sense to use non-visible 940nm light ? Will the light be recognized by Dahua IP cameras ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope, these cameras are designed around 850nm light.

940nm capable cameras are a lot more expensive and generally not worth the extra costs.

Some cameras designed for 850nm can use 940nm, but the range is cut in half or 3/4 so not worth risking or using.

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When using a Tendelux IR floodlight, where is the ideal placement compared to the camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For LPR purposes it needs to be as close to the camera as possible as testing by folks here have shown even 2 feet away negates the IR due to the reflective properties of plates and the faster shutter speeds.

For any other purpose, it is a lot more flexible. Having it three feet or more away from the camera insures that you don't get the bug and rain reflections like you do using built-in IR.

So think of it as a flood light you cannot see with your visible eyes.

When I added external IR, I went out one night with the camera on my tablet and walked around with the Tendelux and holding it in different locations and watching the effect of the IR on the image and when I found the sweet spot, that is where I put it.