NFS No permission WS2012

guk

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a couple of DS-2CD2032-I (V5.2.5 build 141201) cameras and I’m trying to get them to write their files to my Windows Server 2012 box, I installed a 2TB Purple WD drive today and I’ve made a new folder for one of the cameras to test everything.

I added the NFS details in Hikvision in the NAS tab and click Test and I get the following message: “Mounting to NAS server failed. No permission.”
I go to the Storage Management tab and I can see my HDD in the device list, for some reason it’s labelled as 9, the capacity is showing at 1863.01GB, free space is 0gb and status is Uninitialized, Property is R/W. I click Format and it jumps from 0% to complete but remains on Uninitialized.

I’m quite lost now. I returned old other cameras and purchased Hikvision specifically so I could save files to my server and not waste resources running 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party software.
I even tried SMB options too which didn’t work.

Does anyone have any experience with this setup, and know where I might be going wrong?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you shared the folder you are using giving it read write permissions?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Check out the forum here for details on the volume size limitation of around 200GB. Though I think this is dependant on the camera firmware version. Quite a lot of discussion on the topic, should be searchable (I've not tried as I should be off to bed ...)
If you can set user quotas, and limit the available size to around 200GB it's likely to work OK.

guk

n3wb
Reaction score
Have tried everything, I just can't seem to get them to work at all. Tried running the iVMS-4200 software on the server too but that just eats up the CPU.

Anyone had any luck getting SMB or NFS to run on Windows server 2012?

Looking more likely that I'll have to waste money on an NVR, which is a shame when I have servers running 24/7 and all I want is for videos and pics to be saved to them, nothing fancy.
I might aswell have two dummy cameras mounted at the moment.

guk

n3wb
Reaction score
I played with quota settings and the message changes to "Testing succeeded." however at this point I'm unable to highlight the hdd in Storage Management as the checkbox is greyed out.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think the quota settings would affect the 'Test button'. The test involves confirming the ability to create and delete a directory on the target, it's checking connectivity and access privileges.
When quota settings come into play is with the Format button, where a skeleton directory structure and many placeholder files are created. Given too large an available volume, this can seem OK until other menus are visited, and when returned to shows 'uninitialized'.
Have you checked your Windows logs / any clues in there?

guk

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having trouble even getting back to the point I was yesterday when I gave up on the NFS after a few days messing. I want to try SMB instead now as I don't seem to be gettin anywhere with the NFS, do you know of anywhere on the Hikvision that I can change SMB workgroup name? I've looked all over Google and can't find it, or doesn't the workgroup name matter with them? It always prevents SMB working right with my XBMC installs if I don't match the workgroup name up which is not default on my network.

I've created an SMB share folder on the server called fg and can access it no problem from other Windows machines, but when I put those details in the camera it doesn't work, wrong directory or username, can you see any obvious issue with what I'm inputting? Cheers

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to have a forward slash in front of the sharename ie '/fg'.
I don't believe that the workgroup name figures anywhere in the camera configuration.
Unusual to see your server IP address as the first on the segment - that's commonly used for the default gateway. I presume the camera gateway settings are correct?
This is what the mount point looks like for an SMB/CIFs connection to a NAS SMB share with the camera on 5.2.5 firmware:
login as: root
root@192.168.1.64's password:

BusyBox v1.19.3 (2014-07-11 11:25:54 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type ext2 (rw,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
ramfs on /home type ramfs (rw,relatime)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
/dev/ubi1_0 on /dav type ubifs (rw,relatime)
/dev/ubi3_0 on /davinci type ubifs (rw,relatime)
/dev/ubi4_0 on /config type ubifs (rw,relatime)
//192.168.1.201/cctv1 on /mnt/nfs00 type cifs (rw,mand,relatime,unc=\192.168.1.201\cctv1,username=IPcam,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.1.201,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,nobrl,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,actimeo=1)
#

Reactions: guk

guk

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, I seem to be getting somewhere now with SMB as opposed to NFS. By adding the slash in the path I’m now again getting “testing succeeded” and going back to the Storage Management tab I’m now able to click format again, now the progress is going up very slowly but it’s a 2TB drive so I guess this is normal. The share folder is slowly filling up with folders.

I would like to have 4 cameras eventually writing to this HDD.
Can I set the quota here in the Hikvision store management tab, or do I need to limit the quota size on the server and give each camera their own username and a quota of around 400gb each?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For what your trying to achieve, you would be better off with an NVR less messing around greater control, and won't slow your server down, you can get 4ch 7104 for $85 delivered.

Last edited by a moderator:

guk

n3wb
Reaction score
All is up and running now and I’m not seeing any slowdown on the server at all, the CPU is running at <1% with both cameras working as the cameras are doing the CPU work and saving the files to SMB, the only slowdown might be on the network, but that would be the same using an NVR. It's one less bit of equipment I need to have here switched on.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm surprised it's working with a quota of 400GB, if that's what you have set.
The size limit is somewhere between 200GB and 250GB as far as I know, for that revision of firmware.
But well done for getting there!

Network traffic should not be a worry. With a switched environment, so a per-port collision domain, each camera say around 5Mbps doesn't count for anything much on a GB core network. And not a lot on 100Mbps either.

guk

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm surprised it's working with a quota of 400GB, if that's what you have set.
Yes both cameras have a 400gb quota and seem to be running well, infact the camera also worked with the full 2TB drive without any quota set. I'm using SMB and not NFS, maybe this helps?
Thanks for the help, I'd probably have given in by now and ordered an NVR, this was day 3 of tinkering.

Network usage seemed to be about 5-7Mbps at the server when saving a video.

Now I'll need to make a new thread to find out why the "Enable Event-Triggered Snapshot" doesn't seem to save any images, while motion video saving is working ok, as is timed snapshots. I was hoping to get snapshots being taken at the same time motion was detected so I could have them sent to an FTP folder which is linked to dropbox.